Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28

Cool thanks for the info. Im surprised they don’t offer it with a XL belt like they did when I bought my Pintler...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbsyncro

FNG
I’ve used mine on a couple of hunts so far and really like the way it balances between a moderately heavy-duty frame pack and light day pack. It’s supremely comfortable to wear all day but definitely heavier than my Tenzing day pack.

I’ve hauled a 20+ lb turkey and it did great, but nothing heavier.

I did try to use it for a 2-night backpack/ turkey hunt but found that when I loaded a dry bag with my gear and then put it onto the load shelf it was a lot less comfortable than just using my regular 65L backpack. The load felt way too far back behind my CoG and too low.

I think it would do in a pinch (like hauling out meat), but I’m disappointed that I probably won’t be using it for backpack hunts; for that I’ll stick to a full sized backpack, which then means wearing the nearly empty full-sized pack during outings from base camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myerz28

FNG
DsAm6od.jpg
nJpSbal.jpg

My one concern is when the stays are in the stowed position, there is a fulcrum point created by a crossmember and another by a buckle. If you have some rigid objects in your pack and you really compress the pack down with the top stays stowed, it could add pressure top and bottom of the orange stays, potentially bending under the right circumstances.

I wore it loaded with a case of beer and although not as comfortable as the Guide Light frame, the compactness and weight reduction of the Pop Up 28 was a fair trade. Overall, I’m am very pleased with the Pop Up 28 and look forward to hauling some meat. Hope this helps.
This helps me alot. I have been looking for some deep info on this thank you.

Just a heads up, packed out an elk with the 18. This pack was pleasurr to day hunt in. I was hunting from a base camp so used it to take out two loads.
I wouldnt say it's on par with a guide lite frame or nice frame for load hauling however it fine for up to 80ish pounds. It shines in my opinion for a day pack .
c0d7bbaff4904e4e7c5c284caa316d86.jpg
Awesome! Are you still liking this pack?

KyleR1985

WKR
I've had a 28 since October of 2018. I packed out three whitetails last year, one bone in two boned out. Weights ranged from 40lb-70lb, +10-15lbs of gear. Each of those hikes were 1.5 miles+ through steep/rough terrain(but not terrible elevation change). The pack handled those loads just fine. I would probably want something beefier if I were to regularly be hauling 75+. I've probably got about 100 miles carrying it, with about 20 or so with 50+lbs.
I'll have a full size frame in the truck on my first elk hunt in September, but I have no qualms about day hunting with the popup, and being able to take the first load out with me if I get lucky.

The comments about the rigidity of the frame in rough terrain are merited. I think it would likely show up having to pack 75+lbs through blow downs or hinge cut in steep terrain, where gravity is constantly pulling a different direction on you and the pack as you twist and turn.

I put 100lbs in it for a mile around the neighborhood. It handles the weight fine, which is more than I can say for myself. I suspect it would not work well with a lot of change of direction though.

This pack fills a niche. I've modified a couple quieter day packs to mate up to the frame for cold/crisp mornings hunting whitetails where noise is a factor.

Shadow14

WKR
I used this pack this year for turkey and my elk hunt. It is just about the perfect day pack and is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever owned. I am moving back to Georgia this week and expect it to perform wonderfully in the whitetail woods. Like others have said, I think if they offered another bag around 35 liters, it would be the best all-around pack on the market. I have heard some rumors that that might be happening next year. Does anyone know if this is true??

sbsyncro

FNG

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
Thanks for the heads up! Only smalls in the 28 unfortunately. This is the second time around the Camo Fire has only had smalls, guess they won’t be getting any other size.

zuren

FNG
Just out of curiosity, what benefit does the Pop-Up 28 have over a Guide Lite or Guide Lite MT frame with a MULE bag (23L) on it?

I'm looking for a day pack size backpack that can handle some load hauling. Seems that a Pop-Up 28, or Guide Lite + MULE would fit this roll well. This would replace my cobbled together ALICE pack + ALICE frame with shelf for load hauling, and a separate day pack that I use. I'm trying to streamline my gear, and make what I have more versatile.

Thanks!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
weight wise they are pretty much a tossup; cost wise the Pop=Up will be a little cheaper; one of the big advantages of the Pop-Up is that it pops up :)- the shorter frame (not extended) when hunting in thicker timber definitely is nice; I haven't run the Guide Lite, but looking at it appears it would handle heavier loads (the Pop-Up in my experience should be kept to around 70 lbs max); the Guide Lite Frame would allow you to add a larger bag if you ever have the need to do a backpack hunt

my .02