Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38 - 2020 Pack Info

I saw on the Mystery Ranch Site under the new Mule you should be able to connect the mule to the Pop up frame also. Would make a 38 and a mule an almost perfect combo!

tracker12

WKR
Hoping to see a new owner review. I am looking for a new Day pack and tis one has my interest. Thought I was going to go Kuiu until I recently test one with a load on a few trips and was disappointed at how it felt on my lower back.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone who is waiting for more info or footage of this pack, GOHUNT put a video up on their YouTube channel a few days ago which shows a few of the new MR packs etc, including the Pop Up 38.

Apparently the 2020 version of the Pop Up has the same belt system as the Guidelight MT frame, so potentially it may handle weight better than the original Pop Up 28 and 18 packs.

Not sure if I'm allowed to add youtube links, but its pretty easy to find the video anyway...

Mine just arrived. Haven’t been able to play with it due to work

Shove it pocket is nice
Lid does not detach
Belt is more robust but not the same as guidelight.
Pack bag is bigger than the 28 but feels smaller than the sawtooth Which is 45 liters

Gohunt video is here:

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
My Pop Up 38 arrived today. So far I'm very pleased with it and I think it's the closest thing on the market to what I'm looking for in a Northeast pack. The frame looks solid and I like how it locks down. The side zip will be perfect to access the main pouch while the pack is hanging on the tree.

The only thing that stands out right now that has me scratching my head is the side water bottle pockets. The bottom side strap goes right over the side pocket in a way that it doesn't allow you to remove or insert a water bottle while the strap is connected. It'll be great with a tripod or shooting poles but I'm not sure about a Nalgene that will be used while wearing the pack.

What's the min/max height of the poles for the frame?

Hmmm. Not exactly a clean answer, but The poles extend 10”. Bottom of the frame to the crossbar on the poles is about 20” long fully collapsed and 30” extended. There is about an inch of frame below the bottom of the stays/poles. Pack bag is about 20” top to bottom.

However, The height of the poles extended or retracted relative to the top of the yoke is going to vary on how high you run the yoke. I am 6’3” so my yoke is extended to about the 21inch setting. So for me, the cross bar on the top of the poles is ~4 inches below the yoke when retracted and above it 5-6 inches extended to max height. It extends far enough to get me a nice 45* degree angle on the load lifters. The nice thing about the new design is you can run it at different heights based on the preference of the wearer.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not exactly a clean answer, but The poles extend 10”. Bottom of the frame to the crossbar on the poles is about 20” long fully collapsed. There is about an inch of frame below the bottom of the stays/poles. Pack bag is about 20” top to bottom.

However, The height of the poles extended or retracted relative to the top of the yoke is going to vary on how high you run the yoke. I am 6’3” so my yoke is extended to about the 21inch setting. So for me, the cross bar on the top of the poles is ~4 inches below the yoke when retracted and above it 5-6 inches extended to max height. It extends far enough to get me a nice 45* degree angle on the load lifters. The nice thing about the new design is you can run it at different heights based on the preference of the wearer.
Thanks that helps. I run the yoke pretty low, so 20" sounds good.

Broles32

FNG
Just picked up my Popup 38 today. Great pack, checks all the boxes except the side pocket. I was hoping to be able to slide my gun in and strap in place. Has anyone figured a way to secure your gun in the side pocket? Or anywhere else on the pack

huntem

FNG
will the pop up 38 go on the guide lite frame?
I’m curious as well. I have the new MT frame without any bag. (Buddy needed a bigger bag and we both chipped in for the full kit).

I was thinking of the old MR when you could buy the full line of bags separate. But that is a discussion for another day.

I just purchased a Sawtooth 45. Fist time I have tried a MR in a very long time. Definitely not the lightest setup. However, EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE!!! I a 50lb bag of corn in it for exercise. Very impressed so far.

be careful using food items as pack weight. They can leave scent residue that rodents like and even a few stray grains that they will chew through your pack to get to.

will the pop up 38 go on the guide lite frame?

older guide light or new guide light MT?

it isn’t designed to go with either but you could probably macgyver it to work. I am not sure what MR sells in terms of bag only packs these days but if you have a guidelight or MT frame, and want a pack about 40l I would look at the pintler or sawtooth. Or for that matter, you could get an MR day pack and rig it to your frame. The pop up 38 bag is fine but the real advantage of the system is in the frame.

Last edited:

huntem

FNG
older guide light or new guide light MT?
I am not sure what MR sells in terms of bag only packs these days but if you have a guidelight or MT frame, and want a pack about 40l I would look at the pintler or sawtooth.
As to the bag only, Mule Pintler and Beartooth 80. With a Kifaru 22mag in the shed, the idea of adding the pintler seemed too similar in size. While I'm sure many use the beartooth as a day pack, I was eyeing up the 70L Metcalf.

As to the bag only, Mule Pintler and Beartooth 80. With a Kifaru 22mag in the shed, the idea of adding the pintler seemed too similar in size. While I'm sure many use the beartooth as a day pack, I was eyeing up the 70L Metcalf.

MR sell something called a time machine. It is a handful of buckles that let you run and older pack on the newer MT frame. You can also buy the buckles elsewhere I am told. With the right hardware aNd a little effort I am sure you can make just about any pack work.

CharlieTX

FNG
After doing a lot of reading about this pack , I purchased today (262.50 gohunt.com), I think this pack will work well for my scenario