Mystery ranch Pop up comparison

OP
W
My thoughts on the 38 were like Desk Jockey, haul extra layers in winter.
Also it will fit a folded 16" bolt rifle in the bag as well as hold more boned out meat in the bag

Randle

WKR
I have a an old model pop up 28 and I added a kifaru belt. it is much better with a load. Slide the OE belt out , then the wifey sewed a velcro patch on the kifaru belt , slide it in and it works good. I left the molle wings on the pop up until I am 100 % sure this is how I want it and I am going to keep the pack.
I just zip tied the wings to the kifaru belt for now . and it doesn't interfere at all.

I know it might be somewhat trivial to some but I like having the hard plastic handle on the gen 2 for moving the back around when not on your back.

I really considered the 28 when they came out but decided that I wanted to have more space. Also, since I only use my bag as a hunting pack I went with the sawtooth 45 on the guide light mt frame.

There wasn't a significant difference in weight and if I am going to haul with it I would personally rather have the full frame. If the 38 would have existed when I bought my pack I really would have been tempted.

I like the midsize packs so much that I bought a pintler bag just to have the extra organization. I think I might sell the sawtooth though since they are so close in size. I'm a whitetail hunter and I like the internal pockets.

Ended up picking up a 2019 PopUp 28. Super pleased with it. Haven’t packed or trained with it yet but hunting is only a small portion of what I intent to use the bag for.

Just couldn’t get over the connection from bag to top of frame on the new model and that the lower side bag to frame straps ran over top of the side pocket; which would kill putting a water bottle in there.

Only thing I might consider is getting the newer model padded belt; looks comfier and I can buy a longer belt.

Thanks again White Mamba for posting this up; helped me make up my mind.
I'm thinking of buying an older version of the 38. The side pockets concern me... Is it possible to cut the side pocket and thread the lower cinch strap through tge slit so you can cinch it tight with a nalgene bottle in the pocket?

And Happy Easter everyone!

Last edited: