Mystery ranch Pop up comparison

Here's a few photos of the new bags compared to the old.
BjrEhLZ.jpg

H1Ll0XQ.jpg

ijV83cu.jpg

kd0xZAZ.jpg

I took the new Popup 38 out last weekend and was able to test it with about 50lbs.
First thing I checked out was the new belt, its wider and more padded but it still basically sucks. Im not sure why mystery ranch puts inferior belts on a frame that is supposed to haul? Maybe so it doesn't compete with their main pack line up.
In one photo you can see that the new Pop up belts start to curve right past the lumbar pad instead of out further. On my second day of wearing the pack i noticed that it was uncomfortable in my Kidney area. Hopefully in time the belt will wear/break in.
The padding on the belt and frame is alot softer and feels nice. The yoke has height adjustment marks which is nice but not needed.
The new packs use buckles with the lock tabs which i find annoying and make the bags sit further away from the frame than they should. When the pack has items in it , it wont matter but if its empty it flops around. Even Kifaru figured out that we don't want floppy bags anymore!
I do like the new adjuster for load lift but the way it attaches to the back leaves to much room and slop.
The top lid on the 38 is nice , its a better design than the 28. I wish it was removable.
Stash pocket on the 38 is OK, I saw a video that says they made it to hold a tripod and spotter but it wont hold any spotter tripod combo that i use.
These are just some quick opiniuons based on a weekend trip and alot of use of the gen 1 Pop up when guiding and hunting. The packs are getting better, they just need a better design team and testers that actually hunt/haul.

BluMtn

WKR
How are the shoulder straps on the updated. That was my problem after about 4 or 5 miles with light loads my shoulders got very tender and after doing that for a couple weeks straight, it gets hard putting the pack on in the morning.
Last year I went back to my KUIU and installed the Apex shoulder straps with the new probelt and never did get sore.

Last edited:
OP
W
How are the shoulder straps on the updated. That was my problem after about 4 or 5 miles with light loads my shoulders got very tender and after doing that for a couple weeks straight, it gets hard putting the pack on in the morning.
Last year I went back to my KUIU and installed the Apex shoulder straps with the new probelt and never did get sore.

Same design , but a slight bit thicker and different material

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
Thanks for taking the time to post up the comparison photos!

Not really a fan of the connection to the frame at the top of the new pop up..... wish it could be tightened better as it looks sloppy and I think it would flop if the bag wasn’t stuffed full.

Could I bother you to check something out for me? Would the new 2020 PopUp belt be compatible with the 2019?

OP
W
Thanks for taking the time to post up the comparison photos!

Not really a fan of the connection to the frame at the top of the new pop up..... wish it could be tightened better as it looks sloppy and I think it would flop if the bag wasn’t stuffed full.

Could I bother you to check something out for me? Would the new 2020 PopUp belt be compatible with the 2019?

It looks like it will, webbing ,buckles match. The belt has a different shape to it but it looks like it will fit

I'm having the same thoughts. Its the only reason why I haven't bought one yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it without too much work.

I haven’t had a chance to load mine up. I did notice the design has some flop on the top due to the new attachment points. I may play with adding a few buckles so I could run the top of the pack direct to the load lifter when the frame is folded down.

OP
W
Would a strip of velcro on the bag and the frame fix the flop when it's not full??
Might be alot of work.
Probably best to put extra buckles on and run it direct to the shoulder straps like the original, at least for the top portion

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
I just received a new pop up 28 today. After reading this post, I was worried that I would not like it due to the flop.

After looking at it, I realized the buckles attaches to the frame can be run around the handle and then clipped to the bag. Once attached, the tag end can be pulled tight to remove any slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received a new pop up 28 today. After reading this post, I was worried that I would not like it due to the flop.

After looking at it, I realized the buckles attaches to the frame can be run around the handle and then clipped to the bag. Once attached, the tag end can be pulled tight to remove any slack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Mind throwing up a pic?

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 153904

I imagine that this is how Grand Passage did it. The left buckle is how they come and the right is with it wrapped over and around the handle. It completely removes all the slack and is how I'm going to plan to run mine now.

Attachments

• 77543793-A22C-4820-9055-A163669B2C47.jpeg
    77543793-A22C-4820-9055-A163669B2C47.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 116

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
9929FD36-4DD8-43E4-A66C-5E8A29E343CD.jpeg

Here is a picture with both buckles wrapped and the top of the pack pulled tight to the frame.

Yep. Played with it myself. Kudos to grand passage for the idea. That takes the slop / flop out of the pack at the top. I need to find some time to load this think up and see how I like it.

Attachments

• 02971DE9-5A80-46BC-BEAF-2F00E25E5AA0.jpeg
    02971DE9-5A80-46BC-BEAF-2F00E25E5AA0.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 70
I've got about 30 miles with my new pop up 28 running with about 18 - 20 lbs. It's ok, but not great. I don't understand why they don't just use the same belt as on the full size packs, and those ridiculous buckles! It could stand to loose a about 1-1.5 lbs too, which I think could realistically be achieved.

It's a great concept but MR needs to solicit customer input to make it what it should be.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
Ended up picking up a 2019 PopUp 28. Super pleased with it. Haven’t packed or trained with it yet but hunting is only a small portion of what I intent to use the bag for.

Just couldn’t get over the connection from bag to top of frame on the new model and that the lower side bag to frame straps ran over top of the side pocket; which would kill putting a water bottle in there.

Only thing I might consider is getting the newer model padded belt; looks comfier and I can buy a longer belt.

Thanks again White Mamba for posting this up; helped me make up my mind.

jhim

FNG
I have a Gen 1 Pop Up 28 that I run as a day pack/gym bag. I like the idea of the adjustable frame height but idk if that alone is worth the upgrade. I like the wider load shelf attachment points at the bottom of the frame as the only issue that I have had with mine was that I had to two-trip a bone in mulie last year as I could't get both hinds to sit on such a narrow load shelf. As far as it holding weight I think that 80 lb limit might be pretty conservative unless the gen 1 was significantly stronger. I use mine as a gym bag because I end every workout on the stairmaster with at least a 45# plate on it, I think I've had up to 70lbs on it and recall no issues with the pack.

I don't need the extra bag volume (but I'd still get the 38) so do any of you think it would be worth me buying a Gen 2?

Hairhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Gen 1 Pop Up 28 that I run as a day pack/gym bag. I like the idea of the adjustable frame height but idk if that alone is worth the upgrade. I like the wider load shelf attachment points at the bottom of the frame as the only issue that I have had with mine was that I had to two-trip a bone in mulie last year as I could't get both hinds to sit on such a narrow load shelf. As far as it holding weight I think that 80 lb limit might be pretty conservative unless the gen 1 was significantly stronger. I use mine as a gym bag because I end every workout on the stairmaster with at least a 45# plate on it, I think I've had up to 70lbs on it and recall no issues with the pack.

I don't need the extra bag volume (but I'd still get the 38) so do any of you think it would be worth me buying a Gen 2?
I have a pop up 18 and new style 28.The new treking pole adjusters are neat, but the old pop up style works just fine for me.The newer belt I think is a good improvment,maybe upgrade to one for $35. They put loops for running horz, cinch straps which are great.unless you just have to have a new Pack, I would get a new belt and call it good.

I took a beating $$$ wise selling my 28 and buying the 38. I wanted the bigger bag to haul winter layers. Apart from that, I think the adjustable frame and belt are refinements, not reinventions. Comparing the two, I wouldn’t pay up for the new version unless, like me, you wanted the 38L bag.