Mystery Ranch Selway

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I've been eyeing new packs for some time. Been using my trusty old Cabelas Alaskan Frame and Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag for about 8 years now. This pack has done it all for me from backpack griz and goat hunts to elk, black bear, deer, hauling treestands etc.

My only complaints about my old pack is that under heavy loads when packing meat I just can't seem to keep the belt from slipping over my hips. That and the width of the external frame was always a bit of an issue but something I could live with.

So, just purchased a 2020 Mystery Ranch Selway with the GL MT frame. Such a nice pack. Took about 5 minutes to get the lumbar set to a comfortable length. Threw 40# in it and went for a bit of a jaunt. Super comfortable and it feels like the pack is narrow on my back which is awesome. The shoulder straps seem to contour my body and the range of motion I now have with the pack on is amazing.

Anyhow, the big issue I had when choosing a pack was I wanted one that could compress down enough for day hunts but be able to handle my 5-7 day backpack hunts. This pack is 60L and the Y zipper design makes it real easy to pack and access items at the bottom. I also ordered a MR daypack lid and it will give me another 8ish liters of room so with the lid have the same capacity as the metcalf.

So I laid out all my gear for a 5 mid-late Oct goat hunt and loaded it up. No problem. Can easily stash another 2 days of food in the pack and I still have the extra room in the daypack lid.

Attachments

• Selwayempty.jpg
    Selwayempty.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 69
  • bagdump.jpg
    bagdump.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 74
  • selway 5 day.jpg
    selway 5 day.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 73
  • loadshelf.jpg
    loadshelf.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 69

Mt Al

WKR
I bought the same pack for the same reasons. A bit big for a day pack, but fits winter puffy jacket and pants easy - then strap on a lid and side/back pockets and go for days. Lots of great packs out there, thought this one was a great compromise.

fbhandler

WKR
I’m currently using the Selway and the Pintler. The Pintler gets the day hunts and light 1-2 nighters, the Selway gets everything else and try as I may I have not found anther pack/packs to replace them with. My kifaru and EXO frames where a bit more comfortable, but not by much. Bag layout though... there’s nothing currently available that fits my preference like these two.

The only thing I would change (on the Selway bag itself) if I could.... I would have a double pocket lid and the long spotting scope/tripod sleeves on the inside of the bag like the Pintler.

OP
Ron.C

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I actually like a simple main bag without allot pockets. Truth be told, I don't access the main bag of my pack often when I day hunt. Other than grabbing my kill kit maybe to pull out a puffy coat or rain gear.

I put my smaller items in like my survival and kill kit in zoid type bags that can be removed from the main bag easily enough. I only need enough external storage for items like like headlamp, gps, snacks, gloves/beanie.

My spotter and tripod gets strapped the outside where its quick and easy to access. When I'm bear or goat hunting, it's on and off my pack multiple times in a day.

BigCountry344.
thanks for the offer but I think I'm good to go with this bag and a MR daypack lid.