Mystery Ranch Sizing

ldrathman

WKR
Hey all, hoping someone can share some personal experience with Mystery Ranch's new sizing system, as I'm looking to get into a 2020 Metcalf but don't have the luxury of being fit for on in-stores prior to purchasing.

For context, I have worn an older Metcalf with the guidelight frame (back when they gave you 2 sizes) in a Medium frame, Medium belt, and felt like it fit well. However when I called customer service and gave them my dimensions they recommended a Large in the new sizing. In the old pack I liked the belt being cinched down pretty tight and with a medium belt I probably had 6 inches from belt tip to belt tip. Worried the large might almost be touching. Given the 2020 Medium is in stock and the Large is out of stock, I'm trying to determine if I can fit a medium instead of waiting for the Large to get back in stock.

My measurement:
Height: 6'2.5"
Weight: 210lbs
Torso: 21"
Waist: 36" (measured, pant size is a 34")

I know there's been a couple of threads already made on this topic, and I read them all, but none were specific to the new guidelight MT frame and had similar measurements to mine. Any help, insight is appreciated!

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a large and then picked up the medium belt. Cost me extra, but if I grow at the waistline, I can adjust. You can get the medium belt on a large frame if you think you'll need the adjustment room for the upper suspension. I needed the large upper frame but with a 34" waist, the medium belt was much better.

I am your height but #250. 38 pants with a waist of 38-40 depending on how well fed I am. big Through the back, shoulders amid chest.

I run an XL guidelight MT and the belt works but is far from the padding touching. Based on your description, I think the Large is the right size for you, if you can wait For it to come in stock or find it elsewhere.

Ram94

WKR
I am 6'3" 205lbs with a 20" torso and 35" waist. I originally ordered a medium Beartooth on the MT frame and while it did fit, it felt just a bit small. The belt didn't wrap around the front quite enough and the shoulder harness felt a bit short. (The shoulder straps are longer and wider on the large yoke) I ended up getting a large and it fits much better. The belt has excessive strapping hanging but It isn't even close to bottoming out so I just criss cross the ends and its all good. I think you will be happier with a large.

PS. My NICE metcalf was a medium and fit me well.

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll be getting in contact with Mystery Ranch to see when they expect to have larges back in stock. Does anyone know if MR will sell yoke's separately if I chose one size and needed to upgrade later on?

I think they will but it is going to be $$$ and there may not be much of a market to resell your used belt/yoke.

Ram94

WKR
They sell belts/yokes if you require for $30 a piece if I remember correctly.

Rokbar

WKR
I have both a S/M and L/XL frames in the guide light mt. I am trying to decide which one to keep. I'm 5'11", 195lb., 19" torso, and a 36" waist. The S/M belt feels pretty dang good and still have plenty of room in the belt straps. The L/XL belt has a lot of strapping left over. I really can't tell much difference in the torso or shoulder straps. I will be taking the S/M on a pack trip,this weekend so I can make a decision on which one to keep.

Ram94

WKR
fitting-design-4.jpg

These are the measurements on the yoke that differ from S/M to L/XL. For me, I noticed that the large wrapped around my shoulders and over my chest more comfortably (measurement #4). Also, the width between straps made a big difference (measurement #2)

I was happy to find this diagram as I had originally thought that the only difference was the length of the velcro pad on the back.

fshaw

WKR
I bought a medium MT frame/Sawtooth 45 and returned it for a large. I’m 6’1”, 215 and the medium wouldn’t cut it with cold weather clothes for late season. Happy I made the switch.

The belts on the MT frame are S/M 31-36, M/L 35-40 and L/XL 39+ (I think its 39+). So you cant buy just a 'Large' in the belt, itll be one of those options. In the new sizing, a L pack = L/XL Torso with a M/L belt. And XL= L/XL Torso with a L/XL belt. The S,M,L,XL packs are a combination of the 2 sizes of the Torso and Belt. its slightly an odd way to do it, but I do think it works to get you the right size pack.

Im a 36" waist. I have the S/M belt and the M/L belt, and the M/L belt fits FAR better. Especially with layers. Id say youll have adjustments both ways with the M/L and wont bottom out even with base layers on.

So it sounds like you will go with L/XL Torso and a M/L belt which equats to what MR told you, a L overall.

Last edited:

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
What is more important the yoke sizing or the belt? I would assume the yoke would be more important but it seems more people worrying about the belt sizing.

I am in the market and able to get a good deal on a MR pack but I'm stuck on the sizing. I wear 32/33 pants and my measurement for MR is 35 which is a medium in the new measurements. My yoke though is roughly 19/20 which is the very top end of the medium and the lower end of the large. I just don't want to get a pack that is too big also too small. especially since it seems that MR only makes packs that are either s/m or L/XL.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
The places with the sales right now, I don't believe offer a different belt from torso size. You may want to call and ask.