Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50 VS Pintler

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50. My use case is 1-3 day camping trips in all seasons, some trips also carrying axe/saw and in the future a rifle or bow for hunting trips. I can load all of my winter camping gear in the Terraframe without having anything strapped externally.

Now I'm looking at the Pintler and thinking it might be the better option. I could probably get all of my 3 season gear inside the pintler, and in the winter I could probably put most of it inside and strap the tent to the bottom of the pack and possibly put some of my insulating layers in a dry bag on the shelf or on top of the pack until I get to camp.

It's not too late for me to return the Terraframe and go for the Pintler instead. Was hoping to get opinions from people who have used a 40L pack before. Is it big enough for multiday camping trips if you have a pretty compact sleeping pad and sleeping bag? Am I wasting the features of these packs by going with the bigger bag and potentially never needing to strap anything externally or use the overload shelf?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Geewhiz

WKR
I would say you would definately be pushing it trying to get multi day trips out of a pintler. If you don't have hunting related items and are just camping to camp, big maybe. But if you are bringing several days worth of camping gear along with a weapon and other hunting gear, I would encourage you to look for something with a bit more capacity.

Ive got a metcalf that I think is just right size wise for the way I hunt for multi day hunts if that helps. It is 4335 cubic inches as opposed to the pintler being 2355 cubic inches.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the terraframe is a hiking backpack which means it doesnt have a load shelf? That is my 1 most favorite feature of a hunting specific pack.

Last edited:
OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
It does actually have the load shelf- it's basically functionally the same as the Pintler except 10L larger, slightly lighter material and without the internal pockets.

I suppose I should clarify- my multi-day trips would be without hunting gear. Hunting trips would likely be 24 hours maximum for the foreseeable future. I was thinking if I got the Pintler and then planned any long multi-day hunting trips in the future, I could buy the bag-only version of the Beartooth which fits on the same frame

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also in eastern Canada, so any hunting I do will be in dense woods and we don't really have the mountains and wide open spaces you see out west. So I'm guessing the gear I'd need would be less than out west, but I don't know enough about hunting yet to say for sure

I personally would use a Terraframe over any of the MR hunting packs. The frame is the same, but the bag is lighter and the ability to use the shelf is much more efficient with the buckle system they have to release the pack from the upper frame. I had a Terraframe and sold it and really regret it. Now I have my CrewCab left and I am always wishing I had my Terraframe. For reference, I used the tTerraframe on a 10 camping trip in Oregon and several week long hunts here in Colorado, 1st through 4th rifle seasons and a few archery seasons.

I run a Terraframe 80 and a pintler for hunting. I use other packs for hiking and can get multiple days with a 40L pack pretty easy. With hunting gear, 40 liters fills up fast. You can extend the range with stuff on the exterior but it is not my preference, especially if there is brush busting to be done.

I would stick with that 50 or consider going up to a metcalf if you are doing hunts of 3 days or more.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I personally would use a Terraframe over any of the MR hunting packs. The frame is the same, but the bag is lighter and the ability to use the shelf is much more efficient with the buckle system they have to release the pack from the upper frame. I had a Terraframe and sold it and really regret it. Now I have my CrewCab left and I am always wishing I had my Terraframe. For reference, I used the tTerraframe on a 10 camping trip in Oregon and several week long hunts here in Colorado, 1st through 4th rifle seasons and a few archery seasons.

Could you expand on what you mean regarding the buckles on the top of the frame?

How do the two packs differ in that way?

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming there would be no hunting gear, do you think the Pintler would make a good 3 season weekend camping bag, with the option of using the overload shelf for winter gear to extend it into winter camping?

My main concern is whether it will be big enough to store my winter down sleeping bag inside. It compresses fairly small though and my sleeping pad is also quite compact.

My jacket and tent im fine with putting on the outside of the pack.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
You can always get the day pack lid from MR and put on top of your Pintler. That is what I have for a day pack or a couple days in milder weather. You can load the lid and also use it as a compression lid to fit stuff under.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
You can always get the day pack lid from MR and put on top of your Pintler. That is what I have for a day pack or a couple days in milder weather. You can load the lid and also use it as a compression lid to fit stuff under.

Do any of their lids actually fit the pintler? I was under the impression they wouldnt.

I would like to know if anyone else has used it for camping 2-3 nights without any hunting equipment. If so I would consider getting the pintler and then buying a bag-only beartooth for winter and longer trips

The TF has a buckle on the strap that attaches the bag to the frame. I didn’t have that on the pintler. Made using the shelf difficult.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also considering grabbing the Metcalf instead for my winter and longer trips, and then picking up the bag-only Pintler in the spring.

Anyone else run that combo?

I bought a terraframe for a for a camping trip for work. (Needed something black or coyote brown)That was my excuse to anyway to try something other than my normal go to brand packs. After my trip instantly sold the MR and will be sticking with the other brand untill I find something is more comfortable and better.
After having the MR loaded and standing around for about 10 min I decided Nope! It was extremely uncomfortable for me. I did like the adjustability of it though.
If I remember right I didn't like the meat shelf on it. I also didn't like the lack of external pockets.

I'm also considering grabbing the Metcalf instead for my winter and longer trips, and then picking up the bag-only Pintler in the spring.

Anyone else run that combo?
I have owned and like a metcalf. my current main pack is called the terraplane 80. It is basically a metcalf with two long pockets on the back exterior. I also run a pintler for smaller needs as mentioned above. That combo covers me from day pack to 1-2 days with light gear up to 5 or more nights before I have to start getting create and hanging stuff off the outside of the pack.

FWIW I also tried the beartooth and sawtooth and those are also worth considering in the same rolls. I tend to prefer the layout of the pintler and terraframe/metcalf over those panel loaders.

t_carlson

WKR
I actually like the Terraframes more than the MR hunting packs, mostly because I like pockets for organizing my gear. I have the 65L and the 80L. I like the 65 for day trips and the 80 for overnights. I'd rather have a 65L or 80L pack and suck the straps in tight for day hunts than try and load a 40L pack for overnights, but that's just me I guess.

You do need to get some accessory straps, though. They put shorter straps on the hiking models, which is pretty inconvenient when you need to strap a head on.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I actually like the Terraframes more than the MR hunting packs, mostly because I like pockets for organizing my gear. I have the 65L and the 80L. I like the 65 for day trips and the 80 for overnights. I'd rather have a 65L or 80L pack and suck the straps in tight for day hunts than try and load a 40L pack for overnights, but that's just me I guess.

You do need to get some accessory straps, though. They put shorter straps on the hiking models, which is pretty inconvenient when you need to strap a head on.
That makes sense. I wish they sold the terraframe bags as a bag only option.

The one I bought was the 50L and it actually has much fewer pockets than the hunting line. It only has the lid pockets and the stretchy water bottle pockets on the outside, no other zippered pockets external or internal.

If they offered the 65L version in green or foliage I probably would have gone that route, not sure why they didn't since you can get the 50L or 80L in green.

strongly considering 65l black or not, enough guys wear some wild colors hunting whats the worst that happens.

Felton

WKR
I really like my TF 65 in black. The U zipper can unzip in sections letting you access just the bottom or side; orrrr completely unzip it and open the whole pack up. The torpedo pockets are great for exterior layers as well as the lid.

All the straps help it compress down when you don’t have it packed full.

I recently bought a Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50. My use case is 1-3 day camping trips in all seasons, some trips also carrying axe/saw and in the future a rifle or bow for hunting trips. I can load all of my winter camping gear in the Terraframe without having anything strapped externally.

Now I'm looking at the Pintler and thinking it might be the better option. I could probably get all of my 3 season gear inside the pintler, and in the winter I could probably put most of it inside and strap the tent to the bottom of the pack and possibly put some of my insulating layers in a dry bag on the shelf or on top of the pack until I get to camp.

It's not too late for me to return the Terraframe and go for the Pintler instead. Was hoping to get opinions from people who have used a 40L pack before. Is it big enough for multiday camping trips if you have a pretty compact sleeping pad and sleeping bag? Am I wasting the features of these packs by going with the bigger bag and potentially never needing to strap anything externally or use the overload shelf?

Thanks in advance for any input.

The Terraframe 50 and Pintler are identical except the Pintler is 500ci smaller and significantly more expensive. I see no advantage for the Pintler .

I have the Terraframe 50 and love it. Haven’t gotten to camp with it yet but I use it to train, packing in my sticks and stands when I am going in deeper areas for a hang and hunt and have packed out 3 field dressed deer with it. They ranged in size from 90-140 lbs dressed. It handled the load with ease.

Good luck with whatever you do.

d175b149e2b8d96fa42ad31e0d3c7c9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input everyone. I got my hands on both, one in medium and the other in large. Turns out the guidelight MT frame just doesn't work well with my back shape.

Looking at other options now