Mystery Ranch vs. Exo

Hello everyone, need a little help with this and I know so much of is based off personal fit and preference. But trying to get some pros and cons of the MR Marshall vs. Exo 6400. I currently have kuiu icon pro 3200 with the carbon frame. Just never fell in love with the pack plus starting to stay out a few days longer so will need the space. I’m not a small guy. 6’4” 225 with wide shoulders and average waist (35”) So it’s been difficult to to find something I like. Any advice or insight would be amazing.

both good options. mystery ranch is bomb proof, and for me, haul weight well

EXO is mega comfortable, super well thought out for hunting, and very refined in every aspect.

i have both, both are great, both perform, but the EXO is that "perfect" pack.... does everything well, most comfortable pack i have had on, backed by a really great company, and USA made. that being said, it would not be a handicap using a mystery ranch full time, they are solid.

can't really go wrong, i had a kuiu a few years ago and didn't like it at all, i won't get into the reasons why, but there were more than one.... imo, both packs you are looking at are in a different league, but of the 2, i like EXO better.... i think i'm done trying different packs, i'm content with EXO and don't feel like i may be missing out.... between the comfort and heavy load performance, i'm very happy with it (happy with my MR too)

OP
emarquez10
both good options. mystery ranch is bomb proof, and for me, haul weight well

EXO is mega comfortable, super well thought out for hunting, and very refined in every aspect.

i have both, both are great, both perform, but the EXO is that "perfect" pack.... does everything well, most comfortable pack i have had on, backed by a really great company, and USA made. that being said, it would not be a handicap using a mystery ranch full time, they are solid.

can't really go wrong, i had a kuiu a few years ago and didn't like it at all, i won't get into the reasons why, but there were more than one.... imo, both packs you are looking at are in a different league, but of the 2, i like EXO better.... i think i'm done trying different packs, i'm content with EXO and don't feel like i may be missing out.... between the comfort and heavy load performance, i'm very happy with it (happy with my MR too)
Is it the Exo worth the extra $$$? The MR seems to fit me better than the Exo without a load. But I do agree with the Exo being a well though out hunting pack. I hated the load system on the Kuiu amongst other issues...

OP
emarquez10
it's worth the money to me, as much time as i spend in a pack, and the lifespan of a good pack, it pencils out. with that being said, pack fit is personal, and if the MR fits you better, it's the better pack for you

Thanks for the insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can swing the extra $, in the long run you'll be better off with the Exo. Been running a K2 3500 the last few years for elk hunting and have no complaints. Shoulder straps and hip belt fit. I can compress it down to use as a daypack for eastern plains deer. I've tried the MRs and they are bomb broof but man they are heavy and don't fit me as well.

Exo is the way to go, although I haven’t had any experience with MR the exo packs are perfect for any kind of hunt you have wether it be deer, elk, moose, bear etc. every pack they have will do just fine for your hunts. And the technology behind their designs are great.

Superdoo

WKR
I had an MR and it fit really good. I got rid of it because I rifle hunt and the shoulder harness padding was too thick to shoulder the rifle effectively.
I’m running a seek outside now and have been really impressed with it. It takes a bit to get it adjusted right but that’s also the up side of a frame that can be adjusted until it fits great.
I don’t have any experience with Exo but have heard great things.
You mentioned that the MR fit great without weight. Always make the decision on a pack by how it holds weight. That’s when you’ll notice the differences.

OP
emarquez10
I had an MR and it fit really good. I got rid of it because I rifle hunt and the shoulder harness padding was too thick to shoulder the rifle effectively.
I’m running a seek outside now and have been really impressed with it. It takes a bit to get it adjusted right but that’s also the up side of a frame that can be adjusted until it fits great.
You mentioned that the MR fit great without weight. Always make the decision on a pack by how it holds weight. That’s when you’ll notice the differences.

Definitely will do. I’ll be making my decision later this week.

This^^^^^^last paragraph.

I’ve had a Metcalf, k2, and now k3. The exos are hands down more comfortable for me in all aspects. The MR was built well, almost overbuilt, but the exo is more than strong enough to handle anything your body can and the extra money up front is well worth the comfort it gets you. Exo resale value is a great too so if it doesn’t work out you’ll get 85%+ back if you chose to unload it.

This^^^^^^last paragraph.
I agree to an extent, but in my experience, they both haul weight well (for me) and 95% of the time my pack doesn't have a heavy load in it, so comfort without weight is also important, since that is how we wear our packs a lot.

in hunting mode, the EXO really shines to me, get 100# in both and comfort is relative, they both handle the weight fine, the EXO is "stickier" I find myself opening the hip belt on my MR more often to readjust, and pull my shirt back down, which doesn't happen with the EXO.

not a real deal breaker to me, and if the MR was more comfortable in hunting mode, I would probably wear it more over the EXO, because they both handle a heavy load well.

I have a hard time claiming one high end pack is "better" than the next, because I know how personal fit can be with packs. I bought a Seek Outside this spring, and wore it spring bear hunting.... love the pack, very well thought out and well made, but I just didn't like the fit, most love them, but they just don't fit my body well.... certainly not a fault of the pack, just my preference. the EXO fits me like it was made for me.

the one big benefit to EXO (or even more for kifaru) is the resale, if you don't like it, you can get most of your money back.... SO and mystery ranch have good resale too, but not like Kifaru and EXO