Mystery Ranch vs. Exo

frankrb3

WKR
And just that quickly I now have a 6200 sky archer headed my way......lol
Thanks for the heads up on the 20%. Those guys are top notch, AND, they answer their phone.

No problem. Just got done hunting out of the stone glacier pack for the first time this weekend. Still need to get used to the R3 and how to organize my personal gear in the bag but the frame was an incredible step up in comfort from my old NICE frame. I am extremely happy with the frame.

ElkNut1

WKR
Exo all the way, there's no better pack IMO. This thing is crazy good! If ones say it doesn't fit them then they are not properly adjusting it! All packs need slight adjustments! We've packed 10 bulls out on them, they are unreal comfortable! IT'S ALL IN THE ADJUSTMENT! be patient & get it right. Ha Ha.

ElkNut/Paul

DEHusker

WKR
Regarding the comments about customer service...I have an Exo and have called and emailed them several times. They are AWESOME! I needed a few things worked out with the padding and they bent over backwards to help me out. The pack is super comfortable, light, and carries heavy loads well. I've owned and used Kifaru, kuiu, and Eberlestock bags and the Exo is the best combo of features I want. I have the 2000 and 5500. Good stuff.

Squirrels

WKR
So I'm gonna piggy back with the OP here. I just sold my Metcalf cause I don't need a bag that large. I'm leaning Exo 2000 or MR Pintler. I like both frames, I've used them both in some testing, the Exo is lighter. I elk hunt one week a year, and whitetail hunt back in the east a bunch. I want something to pull double duty in both situation. I'm leaning Exo but can't decide. Any input to consider would be appreciated.

Trial153

WKR
I have a pintler with a guide light frame. Also a metcalf with a nice frame. I had a second generation exo 3500. All good packs. The new guild Lite frame is a winner for me. Fits me better then my exo did and does everything my nice frame does with less weight. The pintler is a perfect day pack meat hauling pack for me, I can even get a handful of days out it with a dry bag on the load shelf and a couple add on pouches. I see another guide Lite frame and larger bag in my future.

So I'm gonna piggy back with the OP here. I just sold my Metcalf cause I don't need a bag that large. I'm leaning Exo 2000 or MR Pintler. I like both frames, I've used them both in some testing, the Exo is lighter. I elk hunt one week a year, and whitetail hunt back in the east a bunch. I want something to pull double duty in both situation. I'm leaning Exo but can't decide. Any input to consider would be appreciated.

I had a Metcalf and sold it. Bought the Pintler and have never had a better pack experience. No way can I decide which pack for you, but I adore my Pintler. I think the new GL frame and yoke/belt is one of the best things MR has ever created. The adjustable yoke (for torso length) is a great feature.

I used an Exo 3500 last year working for the forest service and used it during a hunting season. Carried it from May 30 to January 20. Approximately 600 miles between work and hunting. I carried all kinds of goods, tools, chainsaws and even trash in it. Never a complaint.

There was a guy on here that wanted one and had a MR pintler for trade so I traded him. The MR frame fits me better but I didn't care for the pack. So I gave it to a buddy and searched for a pack layout I liked better.

Fast forward to a few months ago, rugged stitchings owner had a custom pack for a MR frame on here for sale. I immediately snatched it up. I used it extensively for this season. Then he kindly made me another custom pack. They both are amazing packs and do everything I want and nothing I don't.

I don't think you can go wrong with either pack, like it's been said before, find what fits, not what it being talked about on a podcast.

Squirrels

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I've owned both frames and don't think I would have an issue owning either one. They both fit me, but have different feels in my opinion. Think I noticed about the Guide Light frame is I seemed to get more sag than I desired vs the Exo, but maybe I just never got it dialed in exactly before selling. So I guess maybe the Exo did fit a tad better for me.

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
I had a rough time with my MR Marshall on the first go with it. I got it dialed in and adjusted correctly and I barely notice it anymore. I want to grab the Pintler for shorter hunts. It's all about how it fits you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am ordering the exo 3500 soon. Went with it over an MR or Kifaru based upon the number of compression straps, location of said straps, side pockets, and zipper access. Hope it is as good in person as on paper.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
is there a trick to shoving the Yoke further down on Mystery Ranch. I'm trying to get 1.5" further down on this new Guidelight Pintler.
thanks

nrh6.7

WKR
13bonatter69, just read the post you deleted and have to say that your experience with EXO is the exception and not the rule, as MANY people here will attest that they go above and beyond. They bent over backwards and did flips for me a few months ago while I was trying to make up my mind on a pack. Changed my order no less than 4 times via email and phone and neither Steve or Jen gave me a hint of frustration! I ultimately had to cancel that order and apologized for all the trouble, but they were completely gracious and said just let us know when you're ready. Ordered my gear a few weeks ago and not a single problem. And BTW, they appreciate my veteran status also! On a side note, you may have called when they were in the mountains hunting, considering Elk season is upon us.

I guess you canceled you SG order as you just bought a Marshall. Good luck with the pack.

Fjryan

FNG
Everyone is different in how they interpret pack qualities. What works for me isn't going to work for many, and plenty of us get fixated on smaller details that don't matter to others.

In the summer of 2015 I bought a MR Metcalf with the NICE frame and load lifters. I bought the brand-new EXO 3500. I already owned a Barney's Freighter Frame. I tested a Kifaru Nomad also. When the dust had settled the only pack remaining was the Metcalf, and that's because it fit me better and carried heavy loads with better comfort...for me...than any of the other packs mentioned. It wasn't even a close contest in my case. The extra weight was 'invisible' considering the fit and comfort. So right up front I'll admit I'm no automatic fan of ultralight packs and super flexible frames. In fact, I hardly consider pack weight at all. A difference of a pound or two isn't going to sway me toward a pack which doesn't fit me well and carry as nicely for me.

I picked up a Pintler last summer when one of the first few arrived. I used the heck out of it in Alaska after killing a moose and came away even more impressed than with the Metcalf. I don't believe in blind allegiance to anyone's products or gear, but I do have great confidence in MR packs. I like that they're not necessarily trendy or gadgety. I like my packs simple, stout, comfortable and dependable.
Do you have any knowledge or experience about how the pack manufacturers or retailers handle returns? I’d love to be able to do a side by side comparison to find the perfect fit but don’t have the income to purchase multiple packs. If I keep them clean, maybe test drive them around the neighborhood, do you know if many (any) places will allow a return?

stevers75

FNG
I love the simplicity and durability of the EXO packs. I have hauled out plenty of animals the past 2 years and it seems to impress me more each time its on my back.