Mystery Ranch Waist belt 5-pcs question

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Astral Frame
as mentioned was based off the NICE frame + Guidelight Frame Technology. These expedition packs have the 5-pcs waist belt.

My question is that on the Guidelight MT Frame and NICE frame, they have the 5-pcs waist belt versus the Guidelight one-piece waist belt.

Recently, I got a hold of a T100 with the 5-pcs waist belt and it felt initially better than the Guidelight one-piece waist belt on my Pintler.
R1n6dlvl.jpg

Those that came from the NICE Frame to the GLF, was this your reaction also?
Did the 5-pcs felt better?

I'm torn that I may never get a chance to take my Pintler hunting (due to my Sciatica) but seem to have no problem with the T100 (with the same weight load of 20-30lbs). The T100 is an over kill for my hammock camping needs and may down size to a Glacier to maintain having the 5-pcs weight belt.

I wish there is a MR store around me, but, the closest is 5 hrs away to help me sort this out.

Anyone else with multiple Mystery Ranch Packs experience this?

I prefer the nice belt. I wish I could get a guidelight MT frame with milspec buckles. I can live with the guidelight belt it’s fine for me but it isn’t the belt I prefer of the 2

YeH, I can source buckles, And I can sew, and you can use the split end repair buckles (which are getting popular as original equipment anyway) and not have to sew but I’m not going to buy the MT frame either way I don’t think. I’ve got a Nice frame with lift kit, guide light and a popup. Plus a couple internal frames. And they all work well. I’m all set. I have packs and frames for me and my son and my wife and a couple guests.

It’ll be easier to swap to SJ lite buckles on older bags than it will be to swap to milspec other than using splitties

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The guidelight frame feels good on me and I got the belt sorted to my body so it fits fine up to 90lb. When I first got the guidelight I carried 70ish pounds on both the NICE and guidelight, the guidelight felt better once I got it dialed, I didn't spend a ton more time fiddling with the NICE to be fair though, I wanted to drop the weight down with the guidelight. The guidelight MT probably will feel more comfortable once dialed in I suspect.

You seem to repeatedly have been struggling with the guidelight frame based on posts over time I've seen, have you considered a different frame/brand? The different belt styles/methods work/feel better on some bodies than others. You may be trying hard to shove a sqaure peg into a round hole trying to fit this frame to your body. Just a thought.

OP
L

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
You seem to repeatedly have been struggling with the guidelight frame based on posts over time I've seen, have you considered a different frame/brand? The different belt styles/methods work/feel better on some bodies than others. You may be trying hard to shove a sqaure peg into a round hole trying to fit this frame to your body. Just a thought.

Your observations are correct.

I've considered majority of other brands including those found from REI and to those Sierra Trading Post.
Either I buy cheaply and break them... company have poor ratings in CS.
Or, specific to hunting and military, which I can hardly scratch... Tactical Tailor to Mystery Ranch.
Some higher end have nice waist belt per reviews..but that starts without a bag.
I want to love my Pintler, but, my Sciatica is so temperamental..
The waist belt is dependent also on my type of clothing or pants.

Bulkiest winter clothing doesn't even make it consistent.

And I truly like the Y-zipper configuration.
Not a fan of top loader anymore.
The Pintler bag is like a large-er gym bag when laid down.

Resurrected only when I got to try a 5-pc waist belt from the T100 which is a top and side loader.
I'm already eyeballing the 2019 Glacier to down size from the T100. With the 2019 5-pc waist belt....it seems.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Your time is well appreciated as always

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Since you seen to have fit/medical issues I'd focus primarily on finding the right frame for you period, don't even think about the bag part yet. Your comfort so you can actually use your frame regularly vs collecting dust is what you should focus on. From there review what bags they offer, also someone like me can make you a custom bag as well but plugging myself is not the point of this reply, its to point out that if you're having fit issues that are affecting your use/enjoyment at some point you need to focus on the fit with semi-blinders on to price/packs to figure out what works for you. Work backwards on this one since you've tried the other way already and its not working for your body.

Just an FYI, I typically put the front of my jackets and such over top of my waist belts rather than the other way around, becomes harder with really thick layers but I usually don't have those on when moving with a pack because I'll overheat fast.

Good luck!

OP
L

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Got an email from Elizabeth of MR CS when inquiring if the GL MT frame share the same belt as the Astral Frame of the Mountain Expedition packs, e.g. T100 and Glacier

"The belts are the same design and have the same foams, but as the Astral frame is internal and the Guide Light MT Frame is external, the belts integrate differently with the packs. Should be same level of comfort and should feel about the same."