Mystery ranch, which pack?

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Get the Beartooth for the out West hunt where you need more room, etc., and pick up the Mule as a bag only option for day hunts in MI, deer, etc. where you don't need the same volume. Just a thought. Both will fit on the GuideLight MT frame (2020) so you will have one frame and two bags.
Second the vote for the Beartooth. Got one early this summer and it has worked out great.

OP
M

Mbagwell

FNG
I’m sorry I can’t answer your pack questions but if you don’t mind where are you doing a 9-day hunt? Are you going to manitou Island? Is it gonna be a backpack style hunt or will you set a base camp up? I am from south east Michigan myself and we hunt the pigeon river country. If you have a post about it link it and we won’t clutter this thread up
I am planning on doing the north manitou hunt next year. May do a base camp or just keep moving. We don’t know yet. We are going to make at least 2 trips during the year to scout and get an idea of what we want to do. We can start a new thread and discuss this if you want. I am new and I am jumping in with both feet. 2021 I am going west for a otc mule deer or elk depending on how much time I get to train and research. Don’t know where yet either still doing research.

I am planning on doing the north manitou hunt next year. May do a base camp or just keep moving. We don’t know yet. We are going to make at least 2 trips during the year to scout and get an idea of what we want to do. We can start a new thread and discuss this if you want. I am new and I am jumping in with both feet. 2021 I am going west for a otc mule deer or elk depending on how much time I get to train and research. Don’t know where yet either still doing research.
Definitely post up a thread when you do the manitou Island hunt. I’ve been wanting to that but I have limited vacation time so I need to choose wisely what I take off

Any of you guys use the two bag solution, and just keep your camp in the bottom of the larger bag when you don't need it? That would seem to me like a good, quick solution when going back and forth between overnight spike camp hunts and day hunts from a base camp.

I never know until I've scouted for a few days, whether I'm going to day hunt from my base camp/truck or whether I'm going to go in for a night or two. All depends on what I'm seeing when I scout. So having the option to just switch bags for the situation sounds ideal to me.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to backpack hunting. I am going to be doing a 9 day whitetail hunt in Michigan next year and then planning some western hunts. I was looking at the metcalf or the Marshall. I want to be able to haul meat out comfortably and carry all my gear. I was wondering which one and why? First hand accounts please? Thank you in advance.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I’m new to backpack hunting. I am going to be doing a 9 day whitetail hunt in Michigan next year and then planning some western hunts. I was looking at the metcalf or the Marshall. I want to be able to haul meat out comfortably and carry all my gear. I was wondering which one and why? First hand accounts please? Thank you in advance.

I have not used either of the 2 you talked about but our group has packed out 3 animals in past 2 seasons for miles with MR Pintlers and they distributed 80-100lbs great. Also see we from same small town lol

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Also from MI ( central ish). Had the Beartooth in mind for going out west.

Manitou hunt, ehhh... I'll have to look into that one.

I just got back from a week long Colorado elk hunt and was my first year with my Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. Worked great as a day pack and we packed out 2 bulls. The Beartooth is on the same frame...give it a look and I think you will be pleased.

i have a few MR packs. I do not like the idea of using your meat shelf to haul food or anything else in. It looks all neat and tidy on the website but stuff does not haul as well as it seems when the meat shelf is in use. it moves weight away from your body and makes it tough. It is a great option when you have to get stuff out but I want my pack to carry everything i need in it. if i am carrying meat out I still try and use the pack only. If it need to use the shelf I do. I have the metcalf and there is no way I would use it for a 9 day hunt. couldnt do it I am a pretty big guy and I way over pack though. I am sure many could use it for 9 days. anything over 3 days though and I am using my new beartooth. I had the Marshall...loved it but sold it and now use the beartooth.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
i have a few MR packs. I do not like the idea of using your meat shelf to haul food or anything else in. It looks all neat and tidy on the website but stuff does not haul as well as it seems when the meat shelf is in use. it moves weight away from your body and makes it tough. It is a great option when you have to get stuff out but I want my pack to carry everything i need in it. if i am carrying meat out I still try and use the pack only. If it need to use the shelf I do. I have the metcalf and there is no way I would use it for a 9 day hunt. couldnt do it I am a pretty big guy and I way over pack though. I am sure many could use it for 9 days. anything over 3 days though and I am using my new beartooth. I had the Marshall...loved it but sold it and now use the beartooth.

i have the Marshall and metcalf. My gear is a little bulky, so I prefer the Marshall for everything but day hunts. Even for day hunting, I like the way it carries my glassing stool, tripods and big binocs.

Last edited:

Mwacree74

FNG
I needed a new pack in a pinch and ended up purchasing the TerraFrame 80. It's highly exceeded my expectations and I got it off Enwild with their 20% off coupon for $382.
Cool. I was thinking about the terraframe 50 for a pack I would use primarily as a backpack for some backcountry fishing trips general outdoors use as well as a meat hauler if needed... what do you think?

I have a mystery ranch metcalf and have packed out a elk and deer both with this pack. The pack works great for hauling meat while the pack is full. The only down side to the pack in my view is not really having much in way of organizing gear. How much gear are you packing in? are you moving each day camp to camp or are you going to set up a spike camp?