N Cache Utah Archery Elk 14 Year Old NR

InPursuit

FNG
My boy drew one of 2 NR archery elk tags for the N Cache. We will be heading out next Friday and the excitement is almost unbearable. This will be his first elk tag. We have plus or minus 7 days of hunting to get it done in. We are going without a guide and we have made a trip out to see the unit and build a plan earlier in July.

The weather has been hot but next week looks like a cool down is in play. I have been watching the weather from the town of Logan and it looks like rain is coming end of next week.

We have first elk expectations and the my biggest goal with this hunt is to get him engaged in a few close encounters with rutting bulls. He has been shooting his bow out to 50 yards with good grouping. Set up is about 420 grains with a 100 grain Viper Trick by Slick (BH included in weight).

Pretty damn excited as a dad, more so than if this was my own.

It's considered a tough unit to hunt with a bow but you should be able to find elk. I had the N Cache muzzy tag 6-7 years ago and had a riot even though I never killed one.

Luckily you're coming in when the weather cools. It's been brutally hot the past 10 days.

skeptic

FNG
Is this the Unit east of Logan? My buddy had that tag about 10 years ago. He killed a really nice bull, but it took us about a week to find one. I was surprised at the amount of ATV traffic in the area, we had to get away from all that to find elk.

Is this the Unit east of Logan? My buddy had that tag about 10 years ago. He killed a really nice bull, but it took us about a week to find one. I was surprised at the amount of ATV traffic in the area, we had to get away from all that to find elk.
That's likely the South Cache. The North Cache has very limited roads as a good portion of it is designated wilderness.

OP
InPursuit

InPursuit

FNG
We did some scouting in July and got a good plan on how to attack come the 17th. There's not a ton of roads and the country is a lot bigger than it looks online. They should be good a vocal with the cool down coming. Just trying to call some in within 30 yards and hoping he makes a shot where the bull doesn't go 20. Hopefully they are not all shot by the time we get there!

We did some scouting in July and got a good plan on how to attack come the 17th. There's not a ton of roads and the country is a lot bigger than it looks online. They should be good a vocal with the cool down coming. Just trying to call some in within 30 yards and hoping he makes a shot where the bull doesn't go 20. Hopefully they are not all shot by the time we get there!
I assure you there are plenty left! lol

Good luck and have fun. You have a chance at finding a really nice bull on that unit.

OP
InPursuit

InPursuit

FNG
Thanks, we sure are hoping for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk