N. Idaho newbie archery hunter

Ta406

FNG
So I started elk hunting in N. Idaho back in the early 2000's. All but last year were during rifle season. With the influx of new hunters and the decay of what I consider ethics and morals during rifle season, I decided to start archery hunting. I hunt solo and have no one to show me the ropes so I watched a ton of youtube videos and listened to a lot of podcasts and thought I had a plan but the wheels fell of pretty quickly. I was fairly well prepared as far as gear is concerned but I certainly learned a lot. But have some questions regarding calling. A couple of things I noticed were that elk only bugled in the dark, if at all. As soon as the sun came up, the elk shut up. The first morning of my hunt, I bugled from a ridge and a pack of wolves started to howl. I knew right then that it was going to be tough to locate elk. Hunting this area for years, I had a pretty good idea where elk fed and where they bedded down but if they weren't in those areas I had no way to locate them. My question is, how do you guys locate elk in those types of conditions? I know there can be a lot of different factors in play but what are some pointers you could give a newbie bow hunter in tough elk country?

Thanks

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Look into Corey Jacobsen's Elk 101. Since you have already hunted elk with a rifle, it will jump start your archery hunting.

As a fellow N Idaho A tag holder, I can tell you they will continue to bugle after the sun comes up. There has also been a massive influx of hunters during the A tag season over the years as well. The elk up here hear tons of calls every year and receive a lot of pressure. I think mastering calling and understanding what you are hearing is key to being successful. I have also learned you need to be close to the bulls to be able to hear them because it is so thick. Moving just 100yds can make a difference.

Since you are used to hunting October, the elk are usually close to the same area you encounter them that time of year. Last few years have been very dry though and the elk moved closer to water, so it was very quite it most of my honey holes.

If wolves are around, elk wont be very vocal until they are out of the area. I have heard them bugle when a pack was howling before, but the bull was gathering his cows and getting out of dodge.

ElkNut1

WKR
First off, welcome to the Forum!

I hunt wolf country in Idaho & have since their introduction, that's been a whole lot of years now! It's a different challenge from the old days but you can still be very successful here with calling techniques. I remember years ago if you were decent at making simple bugles & a few cow calls that was good enough to get a guy into regular action. These days that same style of calling doesn't net much in the way of positive results.

I realized with the wolf introduction along with other predators & heavier hunting pressure over the years that I had to become more believable to the elk to have consistent success on OTC Public Land elk hunts. I found out that knowing why & when to make specific cow & bull sounds started to show positive results even on those less aggressive bulls that would only bugle once or twice while still dark or near daylight.

I figured out a Technique that attracted bulls in Aug, Sept & Oct. Unlike the generic cow call & bugle scenario that many still try & wonder why it's not nearly as effective as years past I started to focus on what bulls wanted during Pre-Rut, Peak-Rut as well as Post-Rut! They want cows but not just any cows, their interest is for cows in estrus! Once I started playing on a bulls instinct to breed I started pulling in bull after bull that in the past I would leave because they wouldn't answer any call I tossed their way, I figured they either took off or just didn't say anything. Problem was I still didn't know exactly where they were to try & stalk them!

This has led me to what I call the Slow Play Breeding Sequence! It has been a game changer! If you're interested in it I will share it with you here!

ElkNut/Paul

ElkNut1

WKR
Sounds good guys, thanks! I'll wait till I hear from the thread starter, I don't want him in the dark, I want him to be OK with it!

ElkNut/Paul

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve hunted north Idaho since 1980 the elk still talk but if wolves around they are not likely to do so. Become accomplished in calling be up early and cover ground you can find elk that want to talk and come in on otc ground.....case in pt last August had back surgery could not hunt come late September could hike good just not pick up more than 20 pds....my long time friend asked if I was capable of going out on 9/29 for him and calling I said sure but you shoot it I am only pic taker after 8 miles and 2000 ft and 3.5 hrs we had two bulls going they answered from 3/4 mile we close to 100 bugling rakeing and few mews one comes in to 25 can’t see only hear him walks off...we give 45 minutes climb another 500 ft give a few calls and slowly walk up ridge guess who we see coming in and five minutes later we high fiving

OP
T

Ta406

FNG
First off, welcome to the Forum!

I hunt wolf country in Idaho & have since their introduction, that's been a whole lot of years now! It's a different challenge from the old days but you can still be very successful here with calling techniques. I remember years ago if you were decent at making simple bugles & a few cow calls that was good enough to get a guy into regular action. These days that same style of calling doesn't net much in the way of positive results.

I realized with the wolf introduction along with other predators & heavier hunting pressure over the years that I had to become more believable to the elk to have consistent success on OTC Public Land elk hunts. I found out that knowing why & when to make specific cow & bull sounds started to show positive results even on those less aggressive bulls that would only bugle once or twice while still dark or near daylight.

I figured out a Technique that attracted bulls in Aug, Sept & Oct. Unlike the generic cow call & bugle scenario that many still try & wonder why it's not nearly as effective as years past I started to focus on what bulls wanted during Pre-Rut, Peak-Rut as well as Post-Rut! They want cows but not just any cows, their interest is for cows in estrus! Once I started playing on a bulls instinct to breed I started pulling in bull after bull that in the past I would leave because they wouldn't answer any call I tossed their way, I figured they either took off or just didn't say anything. Problem was I still didn't know exactly where they were to try & stalk them!

This has led me to what I call the Slow Play Breeding Sequence! It has been a game changer! If you're interested in it I will share it with you here!

ElkNut/Paul

First off, I've been off the grid for a while so thanks to everyone for your reply's. Sounds like some very sound advice from you all.

ElkNut, I would love to here what works for you. I was checking out your site. Looks like I'll be placing an order soon.

OP
T

Ta406

FNG