N Idaho Skeeters

OP
G
Thank God! I took an antelope trip to SD one year and nobody ever spoke a word about the hoards of horse fly sized skeeters! Im certain they could drain you dry if you were to far from the truck at dark.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skeeters may be gone but the NATS can be horrific, especially when butchering if there has been no frost!

ElkNut1

WKR
No nats to speak of here in the west central part of the state but the horse flies & meat bees can be a bother if in the sun or heat of the day while breaking your elk down. At any rate my son & I work quickly on a downed bull to avoid this as much as possible. On bad days with an elk down we will sprinkle cayenne pepper over the kill & it can really reduce those pesky bastards! (grin) We both carry a small plastic bottle of it.

ElkNut1

Btaylor

WKR
No nats to speak of here in the west central part of the state but the horse flies & meat bees can be a bother if in the sun or heat of the day while breaking your elk down. At any rate my son & I work quickly on a downed bull to avoid this as much as possible. On bad days with an elk down we will sprinkle cayenne pepper over the kill & it can really reduce those pesky bastards! (grin) We both carry a small plastic bottle of it.

ElkNut1

Have you tried a thernacell for the flies and bees? No idea if it might work for them but it is awesome for skeeters and such around here.

OP
G

ElkNut1

You read my mind with the next question lol. Thanks.

ElkNut1

WKR
Btaylor, no sir I haven't used a thermacell when having an elk down, you'd be amazed how well the cayenne pepper works. Not too sure it would work though, I'm talking lots of horse flies & meat bees here when it's hot or the elk dies in the warm sun! We pull our sleeves down & just get it done! Once meat is in bags it's all fine & dandy, the insects now focus on elk remains!

ElkNut1