N portion Bristol Bay / Lure selection on moose hunt

Ordering a few final things for a lake drop hunt. Lake has quite a few feeder creeks into it and one outflow. Will likely be camping on inflow end.

Alaska fisheries guy for this region said we can expect rainbows, Arctic char and grayling and be gave tips on all three.

How don these color patterns and size look for rainbows and grayling? They mostly 2s.

Figured I’d pick up some spoons and some bigger spinners for the char. Maybe 3s for the spinners? What colors? Pretty clear water lake and would be fishing deeper water over drop offs where creeks dump into lake.

39E4DFC6-D805-4D48-81E7-0FE83DCD60E6.jpeg

Or…. Forget piecing it all together and just order these two kits?

https://dardevle.com/product/alaskan-pack/

https://www.mepps.com/special-offer/mepps-alaska-fishing-adventure-pack-single-hook/9579

i am sure those lakes dont get fished much at all probably only by moose hunters which means zero pressure. anything flashy is going to catch fish. i wouldnt over think it. Pick out 6 colors you like and get 2 of each.

OP
P
i am sure those lakes dont get fished much at all probably only by moose hunters which means zero pressure. anything flashy is going to catch fish. i wouldnt over think it. Pick out 6 colors you like and get 2 of each.
Finding a way to not overthink things is not a strong suit of mine. ;-)

i get it. I always start planning my hunts a year in advance and i live up here and most of the time it doesnt even include a charter plane out. My buddy is more of wait until a month before and start looking into stuff. another thing you could do is pick up a couple dry flies. use a typical red and white bobber 4 feet up from the dry fly. that way you can "fly fish" with a spin set up. Weight of the bobber allows you to cast out the dry fly a long ways.

OP
P
i get it. I always start planning my hunts a year in advance and i live up here and most of the time it doesnt even include a charter plane out. My buddy is more of wait until a month before and start looking into stuff. another thing you could do is pick up a couple dry flies. use a typical red and white bobber 4 feet up from the dry fly. that way you can "fly fish" with a spin set up. Weight of the bobber allows you to cast out the dry fly a long ways.
Had forgotten all about this option. Be cheaper, lighter and less space.

Need some spoons / spinners for the char too, though.

Grayling are rats with fins, they will strike just about anything, #2 size is getting a little big for them IMO, I always use #1s. Rainbows/Char seem more picky to me.

slick

WKR
Buzz Bomb + single red hook. They're $5-6 elsewhere. $22 in DLG

Simple and effective for char on those lakes.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like silver last masters and silver vibrax, I also like the blue/red vibrax (Budweiser specials). You should throw some of those in your tackle box.

If you want to hit char, the buzz bomb is the shit. Make sure you set them up right, run a mini leader, rubber washer between the buzz bomb and the hook and enjoy making 80yd casts.

The candy back vibrax are also good shit.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My best luck with grayling is with a #0 silver vibrax. I got a book a few years ago about grayling fishing and the section about what lures/flies to use was half the book. They eat everything.

OP
P
I like silver last masters and silver vibrax, I also like the blue/red vibrax (Budweiser specials). You should throw some of those in your tackle box.

If you want to hit char, the buzz bomb is the shit. Make sure you set them up right, run a mini leader, rubber washer between the buzz bomb and the hook and enjoy making 80yd casts.

The candy back vibrax are also good shit.
Thanks.

What size kastmaster for intended target

Not sure I follow on the buzz bomb rigging, but I’d like to. A short length of leader to the lure and then your just saying to put a rubber washer between the new single hook and the split ring, or what? Not following on the washer. What’s its purpose. What size buzz bomb? My understanding is to fish stream outflows with nice drop off. Walk chest deep on lake casting as far as you can with current behind you and then steady wing them back up kinda slow or bounce them in order to keep deep and fish them back up the drop off.

you run your line through the middle of the buzz bomb then put on a mini rubber washer then tie onto the treble or single hook which ever you prefer. the picture makes it look like the hook is attached to the bait, but it isnt.

OP
P
you run your line through the middle of the buzz bomb then put on a mini rubber washer then tie onto the treble or single hook which ever you prefer. the picture makes it look like the hook is attached to the bait, but it isnt.
Gotcha. Makes sense now. Thanks. Washer for abrasion resistance. I figured as much but wasn’t sure how when I was thinking hook was split ringed to the lure.

OP
P
Well, 22 in line spinners is likely a bit overboard, but clicking is so easy. Pretty good assortment of size 0, 1, 2 and 3.

ONE: The 0,1, and 2s don’t come with a split ring and single hook. Anything to stop me from just snipping off two of the three on the treble?

TWO: Also, any reason to incorporate a Mepps, or Panther Martin etc? Seems like if they’ll hit one they’ll hit any of the others.

Going to pick up a few buzz bombs and call it quits for now. Splitting tackle with one other guy.

Oh and Rapala website currently offering 15% off and no additional shipping cost over $100.

Yes, a little ridiculous. A “hunting” trip after all, right?

5906BEB3-3600-42BA-9103-35C46435EBC9.png

i have cut 2 of the 3 off before when going to a single hook lake. if its not a single hook lake i normally leave them. Only logical reason i could see cutting them off would be less chance of getting a hook through the hand but at that point you could just crimp the barbs and if you get a hook in ya it should slide right back out.

OP
P
i have cut 2 of the 3 off before when going to a single hook lake. if its not a single hook lake i normally leave them. Only logical reason i could see cutting them off would be less chance of getting a hook through the hand but at that point you could just crimp the barbs and if you get a hook in ya it should slide right back out.
Area single hook only.

OP
P
As opposed to snipping 2/3 hooks on trebles i just changed them all out to appropriate sized singles. One remaining treble just didn’t appear to have enough gap.

A little too much, but we been shave weight somewhere! I hope! Final pack this Saturday.

4EC3F98C-7754-448A-A0B2-DC281D4E0122.jpeg16EADD0F-73CE-494B-8C6A-A6A4C782A80D.jpeg9A06DB8E-C959-48EC-B3D2-980C03605DAD.jpeg