Nalgene bottle on waist belt?

Got a nalgene holder for my xcurve and put it on last night and put my water bottle in there and tried walking around my basement a little last night and I'm not sure how much I like it. I like that its in reach while walking and I don't mind the weight on the belt, but my arm hits it.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Ratbeetle

WKR
Nope, lol. I hate water bladders and will only do the nalgene on the belt. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Can you mount it a little further back. On my metcalf with the RS bottle holder, it mounts far enough to the rear that it's out of the way. A little harder to grab but still not a real problem.

scsc

Lil-Rokslider
I do not hunt but hike and found the same issues with another brand pack (Kifaru) as my hands kept bumping into my water bottle so I used a 5" Malce Clip (upside down) suspended on lower webbing (Kifaru belt but looks like it would work on yours as I looked at a pic) and hang my molle backed (mini dump pouch is what I use for water) which hangs down lower, never gets in the way and also allows for a low profile waist pouch above it so I can use both and not have to chose between a waist pouch or dump pouch as I can easily fit both on each side. Works great! I use a Maxpedition Mini Rollypolly Dump Pouch as it fits a 1 liter bottle perfectly or bear spray with a little room to spare

sr80

WKR
Got a nalgene holder for my xcurve and put it on last night and put my water bottle in there and tried walking around my basement a little last night and I'm not sure how much I like it. I like that its in reach while walking and I don't mind the weight on the belt, but my arm hits it.

I use the mystery ranch nalgene holder and but the strap/buckle right in the corner of the belt in that spot between the belt and lumbar pad. Its far enough back that I never touch it and also i dont feel the buckle

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'd have to do some serious arm swinging to hit my nalgene bottle on the waist belt of my Kifaru. I've never had an issue with mine and its location.

danarnold

WKR

totally, same pack
I just use my bladder and pack a bottle in the pack keeping it from bouncing off my arm

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run pockets vs a nalgene on my belt, I just get used to not swinging my arm along my side (not an issue when using trekking poles as my hands are up). I would rather deal with that vs no pockets.

OP
cornfedkiller
Because of where the straps start/end on the x-curve (where the little ladderlocs are), I can't slide the nalgene holder back as far as I would like, so it ends up hitting me in the elbow, and it doesnt even take much "swing" for my arm to hit it.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I run a nalgene on my belt but it's typically far enough back it doesn't interfere. I do run a myriad of pockets though (most built by pods8), and depending on what tag I have and time of year I may have a few inches sticking out on each side of my hip belt. I'm typically either carrying a weapon or using trekking poles, or going through steep or thick terrain where my hands are busy either holding on to trees/rocks or moving them out of the way. The extra crap hanging on my hip belt usually seems like a much bigger problem when I'm standing in my basement messing with my pack than it really is in the field.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw your reply about the bottle sticking up too high. Which nalgene holder are you running? I'm wondering if pods could build you one that mounts a little lower, dropping that bottle below your elbow when your arm swings?

OP
cornfedkiller
Just saw your reply about the bottle sticking up too high. Which nalgene holder are you running? I'm wondering if pods could build you one that mounts a little lower, dropping that bottle below your elbow when your arm swings?

Its a pods one. I guess it maybe doesnt hit me in the elbow, but definitely my forearm.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Go take a hike with treking poles, it might sort out if you will bang it in reality or not. I'm the same as strand, if I put it on and think about it in the basement my forearm hits things, in the field I've been running belt pockets for a few years and I'm not about to change. My hands are on poles, on weapon, grabbing at things, maybe just hanging onto my shoulder straps and I don't bang into them.

Unfortunately the way they designed that xcurve belt (vs the evo) its a little limiting on placement though.

OP
cornfedkiller
Go take a hike with treking poles, it might sort out if you will bang it in reality or not. I'm the same as strand, if I put it on and think about it in the basement my forearm hits things, in the field I've been running belt pockets for a few years and I'm not about to change. My hands are on poles, on weapon, grabbing at things, maybe just hanging onto my shoulder straps and I don't bang into them.

Unfortunately the way they designed that xcurve belt (vs the evo) its a little limiting on placement though.

Yeah I don't have an issues with hip pockets and I typically run one on each side, but the nalgene bottle sticks up higher and sticks out further as well. I'll try it for a little while and see what I think, I was just curious if anyone else has tried it and gone away from carrying it there.

wapitibob

WKR
I love mine. I use the tall Camelbak nalgene holder on my SG frame. One trick is to remove the shoulder strap, slide the holder on, then re attach the strap to hold the bottle holder in place. It's back far enough I never touch it. A 1 1-2 litre smart water fits perfect and no sloshing sound.

I hate bottles on my hip. I find that with a large bladder I'm taking more frequent sips and have a less chance of getting dehydrated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I found that I had the same problem on the xcurve with the Pods8 pockets. I liked the nalgene pockets so much I moved them further back. Now they ride closer to the pack. It requires you to unthread two straps but works much better. It can be a little challenging to get back in blind, but overall I like it.

OP
cornfedkiller
I found that I had the same problem on the xcurve with the Pods8 pockets. I liked the nalgene pockets so much I moved them further back. Now they ride closer to the pack. It requires you to unthread two straps but works much better. It can be a little challenging to get back in blind, but overall I like it.

I've been trying to come up with a way to move the holder further back.. have pics of your setup?

Rodéo

WKR
Anybody dealing with the issue of the water swishing sound when your nalgene is less than totally full? I used the sg holster on a few turkey hunts this year and noticed that the water makes a noticeable swishing/banging sound against the nalgene when I hike. Anyone have any fixes for this?

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
maybe instead of moving it back, angle it diagonally??? swept up to be pointing behind you?