Nalgene bottle or Hydration Bladder or Both?

I'm heading on a 8 day Sitka Blacktail hunt in October. What's everyone's preference for carrying water? Nalgene bottle, Hydration Bladder, or both?

huntnful

WKR
I use a 3L bladder in my pack. If I don't need all that water, I just put in 2L or 1L and squeeze all the air out. On backpack hunts, I carry a 3L bladder, Nalgene and two of the 1L Platypus bags.

I also use a 3 liter bladder. If its a backpack hunt i also bring a collapsible nalgene size bottle since i use a steripen to clean water

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I personally use the Hydrapak Force 3L and it has help up well the past 3 years. There are probably lighter options than this one (6.1 oz).

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 3L bladder and one or two nalgene bottles. I don't really like drinking from bladders, so I mostly use it to filter and fill the bottles.

*zap*

WKR
Whatever you decide I would have a non insulated stainless bottle in case you need to boil water to purify it. A fish jaw spreader works well for handling a hot bottle or you can cut a stick and tie a piece of cord to the center and use that as a toggle to pick it up.

Whatever you decide I would have a non insulated stainless bottle in case you need to boil water to purify it. A fish jaw spreader works well for handling a hot bottle or you can cut a stick and tie a piece of cord to the center and use that as a toggle to pick it up.
That's what I've gone to as well. Non insulated Kleen Kanteen with a human gear cap cap and a couple of turns of Gorilla tape around it.

I have the worst luck with bladders. They tend to freeze, or leak from the bag, or the hose comes disconnected, I've set them down just right and the whole thing pours out the mouth piece that barely gets squished under the bag.

Randle

WKR
A monster energy drink bottle in my hip belt pouch and 2 or 3 liter platypus soft bottle with just a regular ole screw on lid.
Thinking of changing to a stainless bottle in the hip pouch just for boiling purposes.
Platypus soft bottles have never let me down.

I was always against bladders, but finally tried one and find I drink more water since I don't have to stop and dig my Nalgene bottle out of my pack just to get a sip. I still carry the Nalgene bottle for drink mix and incase the bladder leaks.

TheGDog

WKR
Bladder + Water Bag-Bottle. What I like about them? As you drink you get back space in the pack. Separating your water into at least two physical containers is a very good idea. Every once in awhile, after a lot of use, a bladder might leak on ya out in the field. (Haven't had that happen though since switched away from CAMEL-BAK and over to Osprey.

I like the Vapur Bag-Bottles because the top can be opened very quietly. They are easy to sit right beside you on sit, and the opening is large enough to facilitate pouring in powders/mix if you want to on a particular outing, such as when it'll be super hot, I'll supplement with a liter of water with amino recovery mixed into it.

I typically carry a 3L Osprey bladder and a 1L Nalgene. Water only in the bladder, electrolyte mixes in the Nalgene. Knock on wood, I've been using that bladder for 10 years with no leaks.

Reactions: DWD
I know its not the most weight effective but i like the 3L bladder to drink while hiking and have my nalgene with electrolytes generally. And its much nicer having the nalgene for glassing it can sit next to you. But a lighter bottle might make more sense if you care about ounces

Reactions: DWD

68Plexi

WKR
3L camelback bladder I’ve had for 15 years with no problems. I always carry a nalgene as well for water I want to put some kind of hydration packet in.

Thinking of trying a platypus collapsible instead of the nalgene. Curios for those of you use a 1l or 2l platypus water bottle and put powdered additives in them if it’s hard to keep them clean while backpacking. Nalgenes are pretty good in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
Usually a 3L bladder and a Nalgene. I take a 10L I’ll fill up and leave at camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

*zap*

WKR
If your taking a nalgene for drink mixes and want to save space/weight you might get a small nalgene....I use mine quite often, it also fits in a cargo pocket.

IMG_5771.JPG