Nalgene bottle or Hydration Bladder or Both?

Redneck09

FNG
The only use I have for a nalgene is in freezing temperatures where I carry it upside down so the bottom of the bottle freezes and it’s still usable.

At night you can put boiling water into it to help warm you up.

wceatmon

FNG
I run both almost every time. I find that the nalgene is far superior to being used around camp but the bladder saves me while hiking (I'm terrible about reaching back for the nalgene). Just recently was with a buddy and his bladder hose broke. Having a nalgene made his life way easier as he would just just the bladder for storage and keep the nalgene within grabbing distance and fill up from the bladder when we stopped. A hole in his bladder without a nalgene back up would have been rather tricky.

Rock-o

WKR
I use a 3L Camelback bladder. I've thought about adding a bottle but I'm not sold on it.

Bsevans5

FNG
I used to carry a nalgene for the ease...since I use one all the time at home, but I noticed as I drank down water, it would slosh while hiking and not be very quiet. Need to figure out a quieter option myself.

TheHammer

WKR
on my archery elk hunt this year I will be using a 3l bladder, have a 1l nalgene and a 24oz filtered nalgene, I’ll also bring a 1gallon bag with drip filter that I’ll be leaving with some of my other gear by my tent. Running out of water or options with water is not ideal.

I was going to use nalgenes as I always have but decided to try the platypus 3L and have been happy on the last few hikes I have had with it. It doesn’t have that bladder taste like most do. I have a nalgene that is just for drink mixes though.

The only use I have for a nalgene is in freezing temperatures where I carry it upside down so the bottom of the bottle freezes and it’s still usable.

At night you can put boiling water into it to help warm you up.

Both, because of this plus I never put anything but water in a bladder.

I'm heading on a 8 day Sitka Blacktail hunt in October. What's everyone's preference for carrying water? Nalgene bottle, Hydration Bladder, or both?
I like to run a Nalgene with a bladder and then a steripen to sterilize water. Allow me as little as I want to carry if hiking with water all around but still let's me load up a gallon to take with me if needed or in the evening for camp and cooking

I use 3L bladder for hiking and a powerade bottle when I'm hanging around camp. Those bottles are pretty durable and quite light.

dj1975232

Lil-Rokslider
I use both depending on what I'm doing. Usually a 3-6L bladder and a 32oz Nalgene.

I carry a 3l bladder and then recently picked up a 1l hydropack stash bottle, collapses down small and only weighs 3.7 ozs. Plan to use that as a shaker bottle and extra water if needed.