Nalgene vs. Water Bladder

I carry both. I like a water bladder because I am a sipper. I have found I drink more with the bladder, because I dont have to stop what I am doing to drink, I am constantly sipping from my bladder. But, I carry the nalgene as a backup. Its hard to fill a bladder in small streams/creeks. Nalgene can be filled at a seep. Running out of water sucks, running out of water and having to hike around to find a creek big enough to fill your bladder quickly sucks even more. I filled my nalgene in a mud puddle this year in Colorado. I carry both even when car camping/day hiking. Just a few weeks ago I was hunting public land for deer. I sucked my 2 liter bladder dry before dark. Don't know why I was so thirsty sitting in a tree. I had a 1.5 mile walk back. There was a small seep below my stand. Large creek was several hundred yards down the hill in the wrong direction. Filled my nalgene at the seep and hiked to truck.

ethan

WKR
Like just about everyone else I use both. But I seem to be using my Nalgenes more and more lately.

cnelk

WKR
I gave up on water and switched to wine :)

Attachments

• BE02B4ED-25A8-46F9-8E10-FDE95BCB7AE6.jpg
    BE02B4ED-25A8-46F9-8E10-FDE95BCB7AE6.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 71

cnelk

WKR
Seriously, I’m going to switch to a wine bladder but filled with water.
It doesn’t slosh and no hose

Im all about smart water bottles (or similar) for the compatibility with sawyer filters. i carry an extra cap as well. i keep a 2l evernew bladder for bulk water thats also compatible with the filter.

edit:
i don't use the sip tube with the bladder. i just reach back and grab a bottle.

Dusty2426

WKR
I use a non insulated klean kanteen. Same weight as nalgene but stainless and gives me another option to boil water in if I need to sterilize drinking water.

frankrb3

WKR
They don't pop.
They don't leak.
They are easy to refill.
Easy to assess water intake.
Can add flavor without mold problems.
Hose doesn't freeze.
Can put very hot water into them.

I carry both. usually a big hoseless bladder though.

And if you carry a steel bottle you can boil water or melt snow in it over a fire or flame.

MSR’s dromedry bag is the bomb, almost indestructible. I also carry a Nalgene but will look into a stainless botlle.

Dameon

WKR
I typically carry both a 2L bladder and 1L Nalgene in my pack. I use flavor and supplements in the Nalgene and plain water in the bladder. When I work up a sweat or stop to take a break, it is nice to gulp down a tasty sweet beverage rather than sucking on a tube. The bladder is for staying hydrated while on the move.

For late season whitetail hunts, I have substituted my bladder and nalgene for a big thermos of hot coffee. I have a Thermos brand double wall insulated cup with airtight spring loaded latching lid that fits really well in my Rugged Stitching nalgene holster. It's an awesome setup and is the best dang thing I found in Target with my wife and boys. Just gotta remember to play the wind when drinking delicious coffee.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use both. I've been using my military 3L Camelbak bladder since 2005 without any issues. Have changed the o-rings a couple times. Without a bladder I just don't drink much, and if I did.......I'd need 4 Nalgenes or a close water source which isn't always available. I only use the Nalgene with water and mixes. And I do tend to chug those because of the sloshing if I don't. But it's better on the body to sip than chug.

I love the simplicity of refilling my bladder with a filter through the hose.

amp713

WKR
I've never used a nalgene but have been debating it, and still carry a dromedary but as a back up so I can fill it full and use it if I'm getting into an area with low water supply. Ive also been debating using a metal bottle vs a nalgene and cutting my cooking pot out of my system.

I've carried the swayer mini with the squeeze bag in my pant pocket and every time I hit a water source I fill it. It doesn't fit in my pocket full and so i end up drinking it faster than i would drink from my bladder. Not a bad system honestly but my biggest worry is the swayer freezing, so I keep leaning to steri pen. However, metal bottle could be a double duty deal...

I'm torn...

Gumbo

WKR
They don't pop.
They don't leak.
They are easy to refill.
Easy to assess water intake.
Can add flavor without mold problems.
Hose doesn't freeze.
Can put very hot water into them.

I carry both. usually a big hoseless bladder though.

My thoughts exactly...except I don't ever run a bladder.

woods89

WKR
I'm no expert, but I started with a bladder, switched to Nalgene and Smartwater bottles, and switched back to a bladder. I feel like I'm much more likely to drink enough with a drink tube. I use a Source 3l bladder and it seems to be really tough. I still carry a 1l Nalgene in my pack any time I'm going to be using my stove for my cooking water. That way I'm not trying to run water out of my drink hose into my pot.

To each his own!