Narrow down my pack for use case.

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Please help me narrow down my *USED* backpack search. I'm 5'11, 220 lbs. I've humped a rucksack around for 8 years in the Infantry and I think I'm the only one that doesn't hate the ALICE pack. I absolutely hate the new plastic bullshit they issued me before I got out. Large ALICE weights around 11 lbs. Since I've gotten into hunting and hiking more, I've started counting ounces. (Especially getting older, everything hurts.) I bought an Eberlestock Battleship pack thinking the weight wouldn't be so bad because it would be more comfortable. It was an awfully topsy turvy pack for me. Comfort level was ok but it wasn't what I was looking for.

I'd LIKE to think I'm going to take this elk hunting in Colorado. I had plans to get out to Iadho for a 16 day Elk hunt with friends but Corona really messed that up. It would have been rifle. Now, I think I'm going to go with more reasonable expectations.

USE: Solo 3+ to 7 max (or with a buddy) in the North East hunting White tail, Bear, Moose (if I can get a draw). If I do Elk, it will be in CO and no longer than 7 days (scouting included in that). Ideally, I'd like to carry what I have on my back to push in more, setting up spike camps when required. I would like there to be some functionality of a build in daypack, sort of how the assault packs clipped to the ruck sacks. Will use for both Bow and Rifle, so something to hold the rifle in place on the pack would be nice. I'm a Large waistbelt, but I plan to be down to 215. Losing weight is great, but it sucks when you continually have to buy new clothing and gear. Losing weight is super expensive but its also the best way to shed trail weight that I've found, lol.

Budget: $350

Bags: (In no particular order of preference)

Mystery Ranch Marshall (or Metcalf)
Stone Glacier Krux Evo 45/50
Initial Ascent (are these even sold used? They're hella expensive too)
Kuiu Pro 6000

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
In case this factors into it:

Neoair Xtherm
UGQ Bandit 10*F
Polycryo Footprint
Fillow Pillow

Prefer a 3L bladder to Nalgene. Should I be looking for someting that can hold extra water bladders? Prefer to drink while its on my back when I need water most.

I'm not rich enough to afford a fancy spotting scope and I will undoubedly devote most of my money for glass to the most quality pair of binos I can get for both glassing from tripod while carrying on my chest.

Down set of puffy, rain gear, mid layers inside. I dont LOVE digging through and unassing my bag for stuff. I really like the build in sleeping bag compartments but if there's a major weight savings I don't mind unassing everything.

Let me know if there are any other questions you need answered to help me make a good decision.

archp625

WKR
If your budget is $350 you will need to look in the used market or from time to time camofire has some good deals on Mystery Ranch Packs. You may not get the color you want but who cares, a pack is a pack.

I can only speak of the Metcalf mentioned above. I have had a MR Mule and a Pintler. Both were great packs that would have the same frame as the Metcalf. The only reason I sold them is I wanted a bigger pack.

For 3-7 days, I wouldn't get a pack smaller than 4000 ci.

Ive been through quite a few packs and I always end up coming back to my Mystery Ranch Crewcab. It’s my do everything pack, so there’s no need for me to have multiple packs. I use a dry bag for extended hunts.

You stated you were an infantry dude so your biggest challenge is actually going light. You’re used to carrying a bunch of dumb shit because some asshat created a packing list that didnt carry any of it. You have backups for back ups so it got heavy quick.

nobody

WKR
Alot of this depends on how patient you are. FWIW, I have been using a stone glacier XCurve with an Avail 2200 bag this year and absolutely love it. It moves with me, doesn't weigh a ton, carries any weight I do put on it extremely well, and compresses down to be basically non-existent when in day pack mode. If you DO go with stone glacier, try to go with the X Curve frame instead of the Krux. If you're big and muscular at all, you'll appreciate the contouring of the X Curve frame instead of the straight Krux frame. If you call their showroom, they'll put together a bag and frame and accessory package just for you in a configuration not sold on their website. Call and talk with Phil, he's a freakin' stud!

However, I'm like $650 into my whole pack system. So $350 is gonna be a tough one, especially for any of the big name-brand packs you mention above. Even used, these big names (Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, ETC) hold their value so well you're not gonna get a GIANT discount, and you won't know the true condition until it arrives.

At that budget, I would suggest checking out the Badlands Vario 33 system. Normally they run like $500 for the vario frame, meat shelf, bat wings, and a 3300 CI bag. But a couple times a year, you can buy them for 50% off from them directly. At $500, they're a bit overpriced, but at $250, they're actually a really good deal. I have a hunting partner who uses one. And although it's no Kifaru or Stone Glacier, it's really awesome for the price he paid. It's got some squeaks and isn't quite as refined or ultra-lightweight compared to some others, but it'll be a significant step up compared to what you're used to. Good luck!

Hoghead

WKR
I'm 5'11 and 220 also. I carry my initial acent everywhere and love it. But I have never seen one for sale used. In the past I used a badlands ox pack very comfortable for the money but squeaky. Check ebay they come up sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m in The same boat. But since your a vet sign up for guidefitter and expert voice. You can get 40% off mystery ranch, badlands, eberlstock and alps packs. Mystery ranch seems to be always out of stock though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This is not always possible, but I would consider finding a way to go above your budget for a pack and cut money from something else.

For trying to go light, look at Exo Mountain Gear (I love their packs) and Seek Outside as well. With both of those you could get a frame only to stay in your budget and fabricate connections for the ALICE bag. Then upgrade the bag later if you want.