Narrowed Down: Binos

ToolMann

WKR
Alright Rocksliders, I know there are a ton of threads on here; I've read a bunch. I'm slowly upgrading all of my gear and I've finally gotten to the binocular/rangefinder period. I was set on getting the Fury HD 5000 but think I can do better quality wise for the same budget by separating. I love the idea of an all in one unit, but as I continued to think through it I've concluded separate units may be better. I archery and rifle hunt. Upgrading from a Leupold RX750 (I can barely range animals at 300 yards if the sun is high) and Leupold BX-2 Acadias. Both were awesome to me when I got them; but they stretched my budget at that point. Times are a bit better now.

I'm still a Leupold fan but am coming to realize the vast options. I've ruled our Vortex. Tried my buddies in Montana this year and couldn't get over the green tint. Budget is $1K to $1,200 combined for both pieces. Have sort of settled on the Leica 2400-R for the rangefinder. Read another post where Doug at Cameraland offered a great deal to site members. For binos I'm narrowed down to Leupold BX-4 Guide HD or Meopta Meopro HD, both 10 X 42. Leupold is a name I know, Meopta is completely new to me. Biggest problem is nobody local sells them for me to try.

So, open to thoughts. Also if anyone in the Denver metro area (I'm in Parker) has the Meopta and wouldn't mind letting me check them out, that would be amazing. Not purchasing until April as my wife is getting me the binos for our anniversiay, and I'm "us" the rangefinder for our anniversary :) . Yeah, she is that cool and my favorite hunting partner.

Thanks in advance. This site has been amazing as I continue to be a learning hunter who had no family guidance.

TM

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I am very pleased with the view through my Meopro 10x42. Nice edge to edge clarity, good eye relief, hold nicely, no odd tint. Doug can definitely get you hooked up with a pair.

snel6424

FNG
I know you're kind of set on the Leica RF, but the Sig 1800BDX that Sportsman has for $179 is REAL hard to beat for the money and it would allow you to put more money into your binos.
As far as Leupold vs Meopta, the specs are nearly identical. The Meoptas have a very slight advantage in FOV than the Leupolds do, but I dont think it is enough to matter. I have really only heard great things about both of them.
You could always buy both and return whichever one you like the least?

Edit: If you went with the Sig RF, I think you would still have enough money to get some high end glass like some offerings from Leica, Zeiss, Maven, and Meopta. I have heard the Meopta Meostars are the best glass you're gonna get without spending another $500 at least.

Last edited:

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Leupold 2800 and I'm very happy with it. Like you, I want to keep them separate. I literally use a rangefinder once out of a thousand times I raise the binoculars to my eyes so why would I need the extra weight? I just bought the Zeiss 8x32 SF too, but probably more than you want to spend, and certainly more than you should spend.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I just bought a Leupold 2800 and I'm very happy with it. Like you, I want to keep them separate. I literally use a rangefinder once out of a thousand times I raise the binoculars to my eyes so why would I need the extra weight? I just bought the Zeiss 8x32 SF too, but probably more than you want to spend, and certainly more than you should spend.
Thanks Kenn for the info. My only hesitation on going lower on the RF is my frustration trying to range animals in bright sun. Deer and pronghorn have both been extremely challenging to range, so I want to make sure I have enough. Especially since I'm cashing some resident points this year in CO for pronghorn. Where I struggle is if I really NEED $1K binos vs. $500 binos. Reviews are all over the map.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
You don't NEED more expensive binos. I disagree with some people here who claim you are missing animals with cheaper binos. If you're using some 10x25 Barskas, you're missing animals but if you have decent binoculars it is rare that better glass is going to improve your odds. I really like good glass so it's worth it to me, but not necessary. I've been impressed with the Meoptas and Doug has treated me right, so you're on the right track.

High end glass, imo, probably won't be that critical for pronghorn. At least in my experience glassing pronghorn doesn't typically hing on low light situations. You also aren't relying on them to decide whether to bushwack 3 miles across a drainage. Don't get me wrong, nicer glass is always a pleasure to use, but a decent set of sharp binos should be fine. Good luck and have fun!

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I think you are doing the right thing by keeping them separate and going with the Leica RF. I will defer to others on bino opinions.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
High end glass, imo, probably won't be that critical for pronghorn. At least in my experience glassing pronghorn doesn't typically hing on low light situations. You also aren't relying on them to decide whether to bushwack 3 miles across a drainage. Don't get me wrong, nicer glass is always a pleasure to use, but a decent set of sharp binos should be fine. Good luck and have fun!
Sorry, I was referring to the RF in regards to pronghorn. I can see them fine, but ranging them has been a huge issue.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
One piece of advice I'd give is buy good glass once and be done. Put your money into quality binos before a rangefinder. You may still be able to accomplish both on your budget. $1000 binos are usually much better than $500 binos. After the $1000 price the jump in benefits begins to diminish. Make no mistake, alpha glass is amazing, but for $1000 you can get 90-95% of the performance.

For your price range, I'd recommend Meopta Meostars for around a grand and then save up a tad more money for a range finder. The are the Alpha of the non-Alphas and are nipping at the heels of Swaro SLC's. (I can point you to some brand new 8x42 Meostars for $750)

Another great option in your budget is the Nikon Monarch HG's. They are right there with the Meostars. You can get refurbished units for $699 direct from Nikon, and if you are patient, they drop them down to $499 a couple times a year.
The Nikon and Meostars are your best two choices in the $1000 glass category imho. I'd probably toss Zeiss Conquests in there too. Those three are all the quality of glass that will keep you happy for years to come without feeling like you don't have good enough glass. Much better optical quality than Meopros or the Leupolds you have listed.

Good luck in your quest!

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
One piece of advice I'd give is buy good glass once and be done. Put your money into quality binos before a rangefinder. You may still be able to accomplish both on your budget. $1000 binos are usually much better than $500 binos. After the $1000 price the jump in benefits begins to diminish. Make no mistake, alpha glass is amazing, but for $1000 you can get 90-95% of the performance.

For your price range, I'd recommend Meopta Meostars for around a grand and then save up a tad more money for a range finder. The are the Alpha of the non-Alphas and are nipping at the heels of Swaro SLC's. (I can point you to some brand new 8x42 Meostars for $750)

Another great option in your budget is the Nikon Monarch HG's. They are right there with the Meostars. You can get refurbished units for $699 direct from Nikon, and if you are patient, they drop them down to $499 a couple times a year.
The Nikon and Meostars are your best two choices in the $1000 glass category imho. I'd probably toss Zeiss Conquests in there too. Those three are all the quality of glass that will keep you happy for years to come without feeling like you don't have good enough glass. Much better optical quality than Meopros or the Leupolds you have listed.

Good luck in your quest!
Thanks. I appreciate your time in responding. Definitely want to stick with 10's over 8's since I live and hunt out west (mostly Colorado). Hadn't looked at the Nikons. My wife has some entry level Nikons and their customer service has been fantastic. My buddy has the Cabela's Euro (same as Meostar) which I'm going to check out on our ice fishing trip on Sunday. They look super weird/bulky to me. My current binos are 26 oz and they feel heavy, so I'm interested to see what the extra 5 ounces feels like. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is almost 20% weight increase. Probably nothing to worry about, just want to get my hands on them. Thanks again. Appreciate the replies on here. Always good info.

Foster_65

FNG

Good luck in your quest!
i recently went through this. i am NOT an optics expert. the meostars were on my short list. i ended up with the maven b1 10x42. i had both the b1 and b2 side by side and i didnt think the performance of the b2 with AK prisms was enough to warrany the size and weight penalty albeit small. i really wish i could have tried the meoptas as i think they would have been right up there. the maven b1s are not small and light weight either. so far i love the mavens, and i just couldnt spend the money on ELs for what i would have gained and what i use them for. i do know that it is very hard for me to tell the difference in what i like or dont unless they are side by side on a tripod, not look through one one day and look through another brand a different. i would say if you can narrow it down and get your hands on a couple pairs you are very interested in and run a side by side, that is the best option, whichever route you go.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I appreciate your time in responding. Definitely want to stick with 10's over 8's since I live and hunt out west (mostly Colorado). Hadn't looked at the Nikons. My wife has some entry level Nikons and their customer service has been fantastic. My buddy has the Cabela's Euro (same as Meostar) which I'm going to check out on our ice fishing trip on Sunday. They look super weird/bulky to me. My current binos are 26 oz and they feel heavy, so I'm interested to see what the extra 5 ounces feels like. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is almost 20% weight increase. Probably nothing to worry about, just want to get my hands on them. Thanks again. Appreciate the replies on here. Always good info.
The Meostars look bulky but handle good. Yes, they are on the heavy side. If you want light and compact, then the Nikon HG's are worth a look as they only weigh 24 oz. They are very nice optics in a nice package. Fwiw- your current binos are average to light for a 10x42.

Last edited:
OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
The Meostars look bulky but handle good. Yes, they are on the heavy side. If you want light and compact, then the Nikon HG's are worth a look as they only weigh 24 oz. They are very nice optics in a nice package. Fwiw- your current binos are average to light for a 10x42.
That makes sense on the average to light for 10X42. Don't have a ton of experience other than lower end stuff. My wife's entry level Nikon feel much lighter, but when I weighed them it was only 5 ounces difference.

I’m an hour east in Deer Trail if you want to try my meostars, gold rings, or tracts. I also have leica 2700, sig 2000 and leica 1600’s lrf’s you can play with....

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I’m an hour east in Deer Trail if you want to try my meostars, gold rings, or tracts. I also have leica 2700, sig 2000 and leica 1600’s lrf’s you can play with....
Thanks! I may take you up on that. I shoot out at Ben Lomond Gun Club so head that direction sometimes. Maybe next weekend if you're available. Unless you want to go shooting at the range; I'd be happy to have you join me.

You are welcome to come out to the ranch most anytime we’re not hunting. I don’t go to the range, as I’ve got steel out to a mile right here at the house.... ill pm my cell as I’m not on here much. Don

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions are like assholes....so I'll give you mine. Buy some used SLC'c or Leica Trinovids. Find a Sig 1800 or 2200 rangefinder. You'll be set up perfect a d come in right at your budget.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Detect

WKR
I second the Nikon MHG 10x42 as a nice lightweight option. Better glass for a little more money than BX4 if going refurbed+sale or used route.

sndmn11

WKR
I am in Morrison and have some optics you can play with as well, specifically Mavens I'm your price range. I would go look at @huntsman22 Tracts and Meoptas and take my Mavens with you, take the Nikon HG if you can track some down. Put them all on a tripod and watch steel or animals or whatever.
I wouldn't spend oodles of money on a rangefinder. We have the now discontinued bit available Nikon Black4k and I want for not to a mile. I would imagine many RF will get the job done, and I would spend my money on binos first and mostly.
I am curious too how many points for phorns you have, I have an obsession for some in a certain unit. Shoot me a PM.