Narrowing down boots

Hi all, I live in Missouri but am planning a couple hunts: 1. West Texas Aoudad, 2. Elk, 3. Mountain Goat.

I bit the bullet and ordered 6 pairs of boots to try on:
1. Hanwag Alaska GTX
2. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme insulated
3. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme uninsulated
4. Lowa Tibet GTX
5. Lowa Hunter GTX
6. Crispi Nevada Legend GTX

I ruled out the Kenetrek and Hanwag as my ankle was slipping in them which I was concerned for blister development. I like the Lowa Tibets but with 8" they don't have the best ankle support (based on my in home testing). The Lowa Hunter was better for ankle support but was a bigger/heavier boot. It was the heaviest boot by far in the test group. The Crispi Nevada also fit very well but had the same ankle support concerns as the Tibet.

Another boot I considered ordering was the Crispi Guide as it is similar to the Nevada just taller from what I understand. The Crispi Nevada Legend has an advantage of slight insulation at 200g which may be a happy medium for insulation.. The Crispi Guide if I order those can also come with 200g. The Tibet on the other hand is uninsulated as well as the Crispi Guide.

I wanted some advice from those with much more experience than mine with regard to boot selection. I have mainly hunted midwest terrain and am unsure how much support I actually need for my potential hunts. I am also only 5'6", so I figured an 8" boot on me would be similar to a 10" on someone 6' or taller. I found those above that fit well (Lowa and Crispi), but am I correct regarding ankle support or are these boots all more than capable?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good choices I’ve worn the kennes and nevadas....my experience was that the ankle support in the nevadas was better than the kennes and good enough I bought another pair after the first pair wore out. The nevadas are also very waterproof. Another option you may way to explore are the Hoffman explorers another very solid boot.

I live in Utah and hike in regular Salomon hiking shoes. Just regular height. Used them all over the mountain this past turkey season. For elk I’ll either be getting the Crispi Idaho GTX or Crispi Summits GTX. Or maybe a Lowa but haven’t tried any of those on. What time of year are you hunting done of thus. Insulated might not be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Ern

WKR
Check out the Crispi Briksdal. They are not very stiff despite the 4 rating. I find them very versatile and are good for chasing muleys/elk, as well as sheep according to others who have used them.

i have had Lowa Tibet’s and L&S Mountain Hunters. The Briksdal is the least stiff of these, but still has good ankle support. Also, they just don’t feel as clunky if that makes sense. The Briksdal isnjust a very easy boot to wear.

OP
ryjack70ss
Thanks everyone. I agree that they are personal. I am asking more of ankle support based on what I plan on doing. The Lowas and Crispis fit really well. The others didn’t. My question is more: some boots feel more supportive but is that necessary or will any of these mentioned do the job well? Or should I look at the Crispi Guide which is 10”?

Again I appreciate the advice of all you that get to live the dream of doing this! I can’t wait to have a couple trips under my belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ryjack70ss
All right. Just for some feedback for some who may read this in the future. I largely made my decision on how I hunt 95% of the time in Missouri and Illinois. I decided to get a 10" Crispi Hunter boot as we have some wet muddy areas and a lot of creeks on our farm. We also get a lot of flooding in the spring from the Meramec River so the extra 2" may keep my feet a bit dryer. If it were a dryer climate, I would have gone with the Crispi Nevadas. It was hard to justify a more mountain type boot for 1 trip per year or two. I think the Crispi Hunters should hold up nicely to my Aoudad I have booked in October as well as any Elk etc I will go for in the next year or two. Since COVID has hit the pocket books, a goat hunt is likely on hold for a few years. If and when I get a chance to do a goat, I will likely just look again at the Kennetreks, Lowa Hunters, and Crispi Briskdals.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Hanwag Alaska - Great solid boot with a stiff sole. 8". Uninsulated. Great reviews. Not many complaints of leaking. Fit - Heel felt great. Toebox was narrower than others in this list. Too narrow as I get a bit of panic if I cannot move my toes. The lacing system with the ball bearings for the forefoot was awesome and made synching them up, well, a synch. I wished these fit me better.
2. Kennetrek Mountain Extremes - I tried both the 400 and uninsulated. Great boot. Stiff sole. 10". To me, the insert has a high area on the sole of my foot that was uncomfortable. I have read others state this also and that they got used to it but I didn't want to gamble on a $400+ pair of boots. Heel rubbed on one of them too, but just one foot.
3. Lowa Tibet GTX - These boots were stout. Stiff sole. 8". Uninsulated. These boots fit fairly well. I think if all I did was hunt mountains, I would have gotten this boot. Best lacing system I have seen. Great reviews but there are many complaints of their lack of waterproofing.
4. Lowa Hunter EVO Extreme - These boots were bulletproof. 10". 200g insulation. These felt like a brick on my feet. Somewhat heavy and stiff. Again, best lacing system I have seen. Unfortunately, the leather was so stiff, I could pull and pull and pull and the forefoot would not snug down all the way. It didn't seem to matter that much, though, as the upper locked the heel in so well. If and when I get a chance to hunt a goat, I will look at these very seriously as well as the Crispi Briksdals.
5. Crispi Nevada Legend - Awesome boots. So comfortable, likely because it is less stiff. I think it is rated a 3/5 compared to all those above which are 4/5 for stiffness. 8". 200g insulation. Less complaints of water leaks than the Lowa Tibets. Lacing system is finicky. The heel lock needs personal attention to bend it in or out to actually lock in the laces. Overall the most comfortable boot I tried on of the 7. Also the least stout. Would be fine for most of what I do most of the time, but the extra 2" of the Guides provided some extra stability that I think I will like in the Texas Aoudad hunt as well as the extra water protection I will like for spring turkey etc in the Missouri and Illinois.
6. Crispi Guide - Awesome boots also. Just as comfortable as the Nevada but taller, so a slightly different feel. Less stiff, rated 3/5. Better ankle support than the Nevada given 10" boot. 200g insulation. These felt as awesome as the Nevadas. I think if I lived in a slightly dryer climate with less standing water I would have gone with these as I could wear gaiters for wet grass protection. But, as this past turkey season proved, my prior "waterproof" boots left my feet soaked just walking through a 5 inch creek. Ultimately I decided to go with these for the reasons above.

All in all, these were all awesome boots and can't go wrong. I wish the Lowa Tibets were a touch more comfortable and had better waterproofing reviews as they are on sale at BlackOvis for under $300 and the Crispi's are over $400. But again, if I am honest with how I will use these boots most of the time, the Nevadas and Guides fit the bill and between those, the Guides I think will be a better all around boot except for any technical mountain sheep/goat country.

Thanks for everyone's advice throughout this process and to this awesome site for providing such great help to us that don't have access to western style hunting on a regular basis.

Ryan

GZeus24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I am just trying boots for next season and your review of the differences adds perspective.

I would also consider the Danner Thorofare.
top quality mountain boot and made in USA