Nastiest Mountain Ranges in North America

This is the backcountry army of knowledge in my opinion.... so what is everyone’s thoughts on the gnarliest more rugged ranges or smaller sub/branching chains of mountains in North America where you’ve hunted, hiked, or camped?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hells canyon is pretty gnarly. Drastic changes from desert on the the snake river to the top where you have extremely steep rock faces and mountain lakes.

The Frank is super remote and inaccessible. Hard to say what is the most gnarly, but I’ve only explored around Idaho.

I guess we should be saying the Seven devils range, instead of Hells Canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
Selway, better none as the "Hellway" to me and my friend that hunt it. That place is just something that has to be experienced at least once in November.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Selway, better none as the "Hellway" to me and my friend that hunt it. That place is just something that has to be experienced at least once in November.

Which side? Or is Selway considered the Idaho side

slick

WKR
Absaroka-Beartooths. Although the Plateau can be semi easy boulder hopping.

Sawtooths and Tetons gotta be up there.

I think the Grand Canyon is pretty desolate and rugged in spots- all the crazy slot canyons and such. Paria River country

Cascades can be hell to bushwhack through, 'specially in early spring...
Sawtooths and Seven Devils are definitely gnar-nia...
Uintas and Snake Range (NV) are a lot of fun, pretty low pressure the times I was there...

carter33

WKR
I think the Chugach and Alaska mountain ranges are the two most rugged areas I’ve ever hunted/climbed around in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely agree with the Chugach, trying to get to alpine from sea level with a pack is a nightmare.

wyosam

WKR
Chugach, Alaska Range, Beartooths, Frank Church, Selway, some of the remote off-trail areas of the Absoroka. Someone mentioned the Tetons- while I agree they are rugged, they just aren't that big (they are tall, but it is a small range). You can hike across them E-W in a long day, and N-S in 3 or so.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know if they really qualify as a mountain range, but the Floridas in southern NM are the most rugged mountains I’ve ever been in.

Elkangle

WKR
I don’t know if they really qualify as a mountain range, but the Floridas in southern NM are the most rugged mountains I’ve ever been in.

Headed there this January...I've been to alot of the areas mentioned above and after looking at maps the Floridas look pretty frustrating...maybe not remote but def inhospitable