National Forest Closure Options

JakeSCH

WKR
CA is closing all 20 million acres of national forest during archery season. Rumor has that it will extend through rifle as well.

I don't know how it can effectively shut down hunting in the name of not burdening fire fighters.

BLM will now be overloaded. Anyone familiar with what kind of legal options we have to go after the state?

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
I was just gonna post a thread on this. My season is looking pretty well screwed with this news. Closing day is on the 26th of September for rifle in my zone, it will be closed until first rain is my guess. Happy freaking Monday….🤬

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Great, I was going to go hunt D16 with my Dad, it's BLM but it sucks when the NF is closed because where Dad hunts gets beat to crap.

amassi

WKR
Best we could do is attend all the upcoming meetings and demand better options. If this is the new normal they need to move the seasons around starting in 2022. This year, anyone who wants a refund on tags and or licenses should be afforded one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
CA is closing all 20 million acres of national forest during archery season. Rumor has that it will extend through rifle as well.

I don't know how it can effectively shut down hunting in the name of not burdening fire fighters.

BLM will now be overloaded. Anyone familiar with what kind of legal options we have to go after the state?
The press release I read mentioned that old chestnut "public safety"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
JakeSCH

JakeSCH

WKR
Great, I was going to go hunt D16 with my Dad, it's BLM but it sucks when the NF is closed because where Dad hunts gets beat to crap.

Yeah I have A22 and D16. I have a couple of good BLM spots, but I'm sure they will blow up with all NF closed. Basically the only people that this doesn't affect are private land guys. Fun part is I focused all my summer scouting on NF. blah.

The press release I read mentioned that old chestnut "public safety"

yeah covid really opened up their eyes what they can get away with under the umbrella "public safety". it is ridiculous.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Plan A. ... scratch ...
Plan B ... scratch ...
Plan C ... scratch ....
Plan D ... scratch ...
Plan E ... scratch ...

I'm naming hurricanes on the Weather Channel and exhausting the alphabet. Archery is a wash for me now; fingers crossed for rain and open forests for rifle.

Also, I've never said to myself, "Goddamnit, why didn't I grab an A zone tag?"

Azone

WKR
That’s the article a friend sent me a link to earlier. I really feel for all the guys that dropped years worth of points that may be screwed over by this. Hopefully it really does open back up but I’m not holding my breath on it. BLM is gonna be a blue ribbon shit show now.
Fish and Wildlife restoring points if this is extended till 2022 is my concern. I’m planning on burning 12 points for deer in CA in the next year or two and being shut out of forest ground is a huge concern, deal breaker.

Azone

WKR
Plan A. ... scratch ...
Plan B ... scratch ...
Plan C ... scratch ....
Plan D ... scratch ...
Plan E ... scratch ...

I'm naming hurricanes on the Weather Channel and exhausting the alphabet. Archery is a wash for me now; fingers crossed for rain and open forests for rifle.

Also, I've never said to myself, "Goddamnit, why didn't I grab an A zone tag?"
Season is ending the latest it can this year and one of my spots is looking prime, really hoping I can get back in there for the last few days.
Talk about a kick to the nuts.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Season is ending the latest it can this year and one of my spots is looking prime, really hoping I can get back in there for the last few days.

Sorry to hear that, Azone. Junk shot to be sure. I incinerated a pile of good will with the missus to get up into C zone with the archery tag this past week. Well, 95% of the spots we had were covered by the last forest closures. Bummer.

Agreed re: BLM land - hell, that's my fear about the D zones south of El Dorado if and when they reopen. "Blue ribbon shitshow" sums it up nicely.

If anyone has pointers on effective backyard rain dance techniques, I'm all ears.

cmeyer733

FNG
Same thing happened last year. I had a X9a tag last year, was allowed to turn it back and get my points back. Drew again this year and now the same thing. They say its through at least Sep 17, which is day before season. This is getting ridiculous. Very Very little BLM options in this zone..

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
This is a joke per usual California. Guess my D7 tag is shit paper now. I can’t wait to move out of this rat hole.

Mattyq17

FNG
It really does suck. I have a good place with water that is not well known, about 4 miles from the nearest camp on national forest that I planned on hunting this year. This is in A zone where you know water is scarce. Hopefully they open it back up for the last 2 weekends of the season but I doubt it. I think I might have to go out towards Pozo this afternoon to get one last public land hunt in....