National Forest “Game Land” Question

EdP

WKR
I do exactly that type of hunting in Mt Rogers NRA in southwest Va. The Mt Rogers NRA is part of the Washington and Jefferson Nat Forest. You need to study your state's hunting and fishing regulations for specifics in the Nat Forest. From what I have seen from a google search, NC calls all Nat Forest land open to hunting "Game Lands." There may be regs specific to Nat Forest lands that don't apply to state land or private land. For example, here in Va west of the Blue Ridge, the either sex days are much more limited on NF lands.

My preference is to find a secluded camp site well off the hiker trails that has wood and water available. Like whitetail hunting anywhere, you have to find where the deer are feeding, bedding, and travelling. You can still hunt or make natural blinds or use some camo netting. I carry some rope and small pulleys so I can hang a deer whole or broken down out of reach of coyotes. Also game bags.

Make sure you know your state's regs regarding handling of a downed animal. We have to notch our tag before moving and then can field dress, but must call it in and get a confirmation number before breaking it down to pack out. Many places I get to I can't get a call out, but can text. My wife is prepared to get me a confirmation number and text it to me if needed.

I go about 3 miles in and cannot get everything in that I need to camp 5 days plus hunt in a single trip, so I pack in and set up my camp first and then pack the rest in a few days later to stay and hunt. For a single night out I could pare down considerably and so it in one trip.

EdP

WKR
yeah, I can't make any sense of the maps published by the state showing "game lands" and federal lands. The federal lands should be open to hunting but I don't know what their intent is.

Traveler

WKR
Go to national forest website. Get the number of the forest service district you’re interested in and call. Should clear it up and maybe get some tips as well.

Jauwater

WKR
This is something that I looked into years ago. I spoke with a Yancey County game warden about it, and his answer was very vague. But I've always interpretted it the way it is read. That any area that's undeveloped is open to hunting within National Forest. I'm not sure how far you need to be from "developed recreational areas", I've always just made a point to stay far away parking areas, trailheads, campgrounds, etc. Now I'm not saying that I'm the law on that, but that's the way I've always understood it.

As I'm sure your already aware, it is extremely difficult to spot and stalk whitetail in Western Carolina mountains w/ a bow. So if your planning to do it with a bow I would recommend scouting some areas, and setting up a stand prior to your trip, and setting up near your stand. And if your gonna be camping for a week, you would have the chance to move the stand around as you learn their patterns. This is the only way I have had success attempting a backpack whitetail hunt in Western Carolina while bowhunting. You really wanna have a good spot nailed down, so it takes a lot of scouting, and trail camera usage. Last thing you wanna do is lug around a tree stand to an area you have no idea if their evening coming through. I'll find an area with alot of doe activity, and get the stand set up. That way when I come back to hunt, I typically have a good idea they are gonna be around, but I may have to move the stand around a bit to set myself up perfectly.

Hunting whitetail with a rifle here in NC mountains would offer you more of that western style elk hunt, and would offer a higher success rate while being nomadic in the mountains. Although, I am not aware of the laws pertaining to rifle hunting in national forests. I'm sure the info is out there, but for the most part I strictly bowhunt so I can't say forsure.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
The initial statement seems very clear, but what reads in bold lettering I feel does leave you with the question your asking...
e18463b929813e709188a2a5135733c6.jpg

Wellsdw

WKR
I live in nc and hunt NF in NC. Steer clear of campgrounds, heavily traveled trails,
And waterfalls, and you can hunt no problem. Bear hunters do this with dogs all the time. Most actually only hunt NF. Good luck. Let me know if us do any good.

NF is open for hunting. If you access from the blue ridge parkway make sure you follow the rules I believe you still have to call but not sure. The NF are huge but also have the lowest deer density in the state, but they are there. Like others have said it is almost impossible to spot and stalk except a few areas.

Jauwater

WKR
For me, I probably wouldn't bring a stand in if I was rifle hunting. I feel being in a tree stand could limit your shot. I mainly use the tree stand to limit what movement the animal might see being that I gotta get so close with a bow. With the rifle bring able to reach a bit further you could probably get away with alittle more movement from the ground to reposition yourself for a clearer shot if needed be, rather than if your in a stand. If you got some spots picked out over some cleared flat land that's not to difficult to get to then I might bring a stand.

Don’t know what counties you plan on hunting but check each county as doe regulations change by county in WNC. Western part is broke into I think 4 different doe regulations with a rifle.

FLS

WKR
Private holdings with a NF or Game Land, even if they are undeveloped, are still Private and not open to public hunting.