NATIONAL FORESTS IN SO CAL CLOSED

Azone

WKR
I’ll spare the forum the full rant......
Temporary my ass, it’s gonna get locked down till the first rain, we all know that. Tag number two may be wall paper now unless a private land bone gets tossed my way. Thank you Smokey Bear, not.

Seems like the responsible move, all things considered.

Attachments

• A1E4E591-1F50-4EF4-BF5E-FEC7737E6AED.png
    A1E4E591-1F50-4EF4-BF5E-FEC7737E6AED.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
I’ll spare the forum the full rant......
Temporary my ass, it’s gonna get locked down till the first rain, we all know that. Tag number two may be wall paper now unless a private land bone gets tossed my way. Thank you Smokey Bear, not.

Wait, Smokey tries to teach people to not be idiots and start fires. Dont throw him under the bus.

Azone

WKR
Wait, Smokey tries to teach people to not be idiots and start fires. Dont throw him under the bus.
That’s a very valid point, but suppressing these fires out here for decades has led to these fires becoming unstoppable at times. When places that have a natural burn cycle of 8 to 15 years are left untouched for 60 to 70 years it leads to these fires burning so hot from built up fuel that the areas resemble the surface of the moon after they’re out. There is a time and place for Smokey to do his job in my opinion, but there’s also a time to let nature do it’s thing. Smokey strikes me as a big bear so hopefully the bus didn’t hurt him too bad.

FLAK

WKR
I used to live near the Chattahoochee NF in N. Ga.
Used to watch the FS go Bat Chitt crazy putting out fires
only to be back on the same piece of ground 6 weeks later
doing "controlled burns".

That’s a very valid point, but suppressing these fires out here for decades has led to these fires becoming unstoppable at times. When places that have a natural burn cycle of 8 to 15 years are left untouched for 60 to 70 years it leads to these fires burning so hot from built up fuel that the areas resemble the surface of the moon after they’re out. There is a time and place for Smokey to do his job in my opinion, but there’s also a time to let nature do it’s thing. Smokey strikes me as a big bear so hopefully the bus didn’t hurt him too bad.

I agree that fires need to happen. I fight fires and I have no idea why we are in such a hurry to put out anything that lights up. We kill firefighters trying to put out fires that dont threaten a dang thing other than the overgrowth that needs to burn. We spend 10's of millions and endanger firefighters to put out a fire that threatens only a few cabins worth much less owned by people that didnt create defensible space.

Smokey, or the idea behind him, is to keep people from starting those fires which I agree with. Lightning starts should be treated as part of nature and allowed to burn as much as possible.

Azone

WKR
I agree that fires need to happen. I fight fires and I have no idea why we are in such a hurry to put out anything that lights up. We kill firefighters trying to put out fires that dont threaten a dang thing other than the overgrowth that needs to burn. We spend 10's of millions and endanger firefighters to put out a fire that threatens only a few cabins worth much less owned by people that didnt create defensible space.

Smokey, or the idea behind him, is to keep people from starting those fires which I agree with. Lightning starts should be treated as part of nature and allowed to burn as much as possible.
I can agree with all of that. A real good friend of mine is a firefighter, you are pretty much word for word with his thoughts on the matter.

I’m not downplaying the active fires, but that map is a little misleading. A lot of those fires showing are already out/100% contained. Inciweb shows ALL fires for the year, not just the current active ones.

Understood, but remember most of those fires have only been active for a few short weeks, or months.

Bottom line, the west is an unprecedented tinder box.
New fires popping up weekly here in CO and CA is in much worse shape.

We’d be F’ed if it wasn’t for this freak snow storm starting tonight...

CA knows that they’d be even more F’ed than they are already, if they didn’t take unprecedented measures.

Sucks, but it’s the responsible move imo.

OP
Muley Buck
CA knows that they’d be even more F’ed than they are already, if they didn’t take unprecedented measures.

Sucks, but it’s the responsible move imo.
No, the responsible move is to manage the forest lands properly as other western states do. Then unprecedented measures would not have to be taken. It's dry all across the west, no other NF in any other western state has been fully closed to the public, much less 8 of them.

No, the responsible move is to manage the forest lands properly as other western states do. Then unprecedented measures would not have to be taken. It's dry all across the west, no other NF in any other western state has been fully closed to the public, much less 8 of them.

As I see it, there are two choices...

Close the NF’s temporary, or have more fires (since more fires are 100% inevitable) and more NF lands will be decimated.

Seeing as though, CA’s fire resources are completely depleted, and more fires in the So Cal NF’s could be potentially catastrophic, the only current responsible action to take, is the unprecedented one being taken.

MattB

WKR

How do you do that in the next week?

OP
Muley Buck
As I see it, there are two choices...

Close the NF’s temporary, or have more fires (since more fires are 100% inevitable) and more NF lands will be decimated.

Seeing as though, CA’s fire resources are completely depleted, and more fires in the So Cal NF’s could be potentially catastrophic, the only current responsible action to take, is the unprecedented one being taken.
Sure, maybe so at this given moment. It still doesn't do a damn thing to help the situation in the long run. California needs a plan, and a damn good one! Also, I still find it very coincidental that the closure happens just AFTER Labor Day weekend. If its THAT damn important to close these forest lands, it should have been done sooner then. Did it just dawn on them today that we have fires going on?? I think not.

OP
Muley Buck
How do you do that in the next week?
Obviously it can't. I agree, maybe a good thing for right now, and still a big maybe. It still doesn't help with the current frustrations as to why we got here in the first place. To hell with bandaids we need a solution.