National Parks Magazine article Protecting Grizzlies

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I thought this was a great article. I didn't know most of what was in this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
Funny how if you pay someone enough they can find the "science" to prove the results you want.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Ok so 3 strikes against the position taken in the article. So what is it they got so wrong?

In my opinion the conversation starts and ends with this:

“In 2017, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service declared Yellowstone-area grizzlies recovered and removed them from the list of threatened species.”

This is enough for me. Let the states manage the proper population.

The decision should be made by science not a freakin judge who is playing scientist.

This entire article is biased towards the warm fuzzy grizzly lovers and spends zero time talking about how much the increased US population impacts how many grizzlies can and should be on the landscape going forward.

Let’s reestablish them in DC and NYC and see how long they are welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I spent three years as one of fifteen citizens who worked with the USFWS as they crafted the Yellowstone Grizzly Conservation Strategy. Rather than pick apart each point in the article, suffice to say that the USFWS has provided evidence that counters every claim/concern mentioned.

So far, the only folks who don't believe the science presented by the USFWS are those who make a lot of money from litigating the grizzly bear issue and a few critically identified judges with law degrees and undergraduate degrees that have nothing to do with science and biology.

The smartest bear biologists in the world are part of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team. If you spend three years listening to them and reading their research, you realize the rest of the folks are just paid hacks with an agenda. They quote David Mattson, a former member of the IGBST. He is a former member for many reasons, but suffice to say that nobody cried when he left the team and took his "independent science" to whatever organization could pay him the most for using it to help raise money.

The Grizzly Bears are amazing animals. It is so cool that we have retained the character of landscapes to allow them to prosper. That said, by all scientific measures the Greater Yellowstone distinct population segment has been recovered and no longer is threatened or endangered. In the court rooms and public opinion of disconnected urbanites, where a ton of money can be made litigating grizzlies, the non-science debate will probably continue forever.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you both for educating me on the facts.