Native Corporation Closes Access to Copper River Bison

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
At the risk of sounding like the lottery winner bitching that his ticket got rained on, I wanted to draw attention to an issue that has larger implications than it may seem.

I drew DI454 (Copper River Bison) for the 2021 season. I’m stoked, and was prepared to pay the $1,500 trespass fee in order to hunt them on Ahtna land. A significant portion of the Copper River Bison herd is located on the eastern shore of the river, which is private Native land. While absent-mindedly cruising around Ahtna's website, I noticed that the option to purchase the trespass permission for the Bison hunt was gone. No announcement, no board meeting minutes to explain. ADF&G was not tracking when I reached out to them, and they are quite alarmed, as they rely on tag holders to manage that herd.

This has implications larger than the DI454 hunt for the following reason:

1. Ahtna now has a virtually private Bison herd. While the Native Alaskans cannot hunt them without drawing the tag, all of the Fish & Game money will essentially be wasted on a now largely untouchable herd. Should we really commit resources to studying, growing, and improving habitat for a herd that is now cut off from non-Natives?

2. This can happen elsewhere. I support private land owner rights, but I do not support contributing public money to a resource which is not able to be enjoyed by the majority of Americans.

3. They didn't have to tell anyone. This closure was clearly arbitrary, but more disturbingly - quiet. Were 25 yearly permit holders really messing things up so badly for Ahtna? You can still pay $150 to 'predator hunt' - Black and Brown bears, and wolves. [EDIT: Once they finally made the announcement, they closed predator hunts “in the Bison area” as well]. Ahtna made no announcement of the closure, and didn't feel the need to contact ADF&G. They're treating this herd as if they own it, and don't feel the need to tell anyone else.

4. Finally, thousands of dollars are put into this herd in application fees alone, not to mention tags and hunt expenses for draw recipients. If Ahtna doesn't change their position prior to the 2022 draw application period going live, ADF&G and the Alaska Board of Game need to publicize the closure in order to manage expectations before applicants dump money into a herd which just got immensely more difficult to hunt.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
Wow- that really sucks and I'm sorry to hear that. I have nothing to contribute other than to say I feel for ya and it sounds like a definite case of bad luck for you. But... whatcha gonna do? Crap happens! This sounds like there's really nothing you can do and it also sounds like you understand that. That sucks.

OP
207-12A

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, nothing I can do about it is right, other than hunt below the high water mark or make the best I can out of the few easements that lead to public land beyond the Native allotment. The area biologist was unaware of the closure, but very concerned. She said she’ll speak to Ahtna, but the reality is there’s legitimately nothing anyone can do about it. Just need to publicize the closure for next year.

OP
207-12A

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
From Ahtna’s Facebook Page:

“Until further notice, Ahtna, Incorporated will no longer issue land access permits for hunting bison associated with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) Permit Nos. DI 450 & DI 454 on their private lands, as well as predator control permits within these respective bison hunt areas. Ahtna land use permits on other lands for predator control hunting and recreational activities such as fishing, hiking and camping are available at www.ahtna.com/land-permits. An Ahtna Region land app is available for download that clearly shows property boundaries and public and private land ownership in the area to help visitors plan accordingly.”

So no specified reason, but at least they announced the closure.

grfox92

WKR
Steve Rinella chronicles his issues with Ahtna when he drew the same tag, in his book American Buffalo (fantastic book).

Maybe I'm wrong about it being the same tag and that was probably 20 years ago, but he was able to hunt as long as he stayed below the high water mark and did kill a buffalo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Nope, nothing I can do about it is right, other than hunt below the high water mark or make the best I can out of the few easements that lead to public land beyond the Native allotment. The area biologist was unaware of the closure, but very concerned. She said she’ll speak to Ahtna, but the reality is there’s legitimately nothing anyone can do about it. Just need to publicize the closure for next year.
I somehow missed this before posting above. Sounds like you still have some option to hunt. Still a crappy situation though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That sucks.

Ahtna does the same thing for moose. Probably hoping fewer people will apply for the tag so their share holders have more opertinity to draw. Sounds like it is time for me to start donating $60 annually to ADFG to increase those odds just a tad for them.

Clearly it is not based on land use as Ahtna is happy to take money for other uses. If it was based on just wanting to keep people off their land I would respect it.

As bison are not native to AK, ADFG could just open the Copper River herd up to year long hunting and wash its hands of the issue. Personally, I think in those conditions the herd would be gone in a year or two from Ahtna share holders alone. But, why should the state invest in maintaining a herd on private land?

Squamch

WKR
Lol. Come to Washington for a while, then let me know what you think of natives, treaties, hunting rights, and your dollars at work for wildlife.

You think that's something, Canada just decided that Washington Indians have a traditional right to hunt north of the 49th parallel. So, that bodes well.

Sounds like the natives don't like non-resident hunters either. I thought the proper Rokslide response was to just be grateful you have any opportunity at all.
I don’t know if it’s the proper rokslide response. But definitely the proper response if you are from most of the Rocky Mountain states.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
You think that's something, Canada just decided that Washington Indians have a traditional right to hunt north of the 49th parallel. So, that bodes well.
The treaties state they have hunting rights on any “open and unclaimed lands” modern interpretation of this makes them believe they can hunt off res public lands as they please.

There are tribes who’s historic range covered areas in both the us and Canada.

OP
207-12A

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be more likely to be incensed if Alaskans didn't block my access to hunt Sheep, Goat and Griz.
Ignoring a denial in access with the justification being an unrelated denial in opportunity isn’t going to improve anything for anyone. Outdoorsmen should take all access and opportunity issues head on, rather than playing the whatabout game.

def90

WKR
Steve Rinella chronicles his issues with Ahtna when he drew the same tag, in his book American Buffalo (fantastic book).

Maybe I'm wrong about it being the same tag and that was probably 20 years ago, but he was able to hunt as long as he stayed below the high water mark and did kill a buffalo.

Yeah, didn't he have to raft down and then walk up a feeder stream to get to public land that he could hunt?