Natural Fuel Stoves

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Be careful when using galvanized metal and fire. Not trying to open up a huge debate but I feel it should be mentioned.

I also like the main idea of this thread as far as slowing down a little and enjoying the moment. However, that only works if the moment is enjoyable. Being wet and cold and trying to start a fire in a downpour doesn't sound like fun. That said, I think I would look more into a dual usage option. Perhaps work your cook system so you can use natural fuel when possible but still have the canister stove as backup. You would be packing in less fuel but still have it when you need it.

Or, you could always carry along a lightweight alcohol stove and a few ounces of fuel for in for those situations where a natural fuel fire was not feasible.

I'm with you on using galvanized metal and fire. I kinda figured in the back of my mind I would have some esbit tabs as backup. I already carry trioxane in my emergency supplies. Trioxane is toxic though and you should was your hands after handling. So I'm pretty sure I don't want to cook over it.

Last edited:

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
Good point on the galvanized material. The website the plans came from stressed that you burn the stove sufficiently without cooking anything to get rid of the galvanized coating.

colonel00

WKR
Actually, you can soak the parts in vinegar I believe to remove the galvanizing. However, they you are back to bare steel that will rust.

WV Dan

FNG
I have 2 natural fuel stoves a 4 dog and a solostove. The 4 dog is very light and the solostove is very sturdy (stainless). I actually prefer the solostove, it boils quicker and I find it easier to get going. There is somthing primal about cooking on a wood stove. I've never backpack hunted so, I might not like the smoke smells on my clothes. I backpack mostly in the east so fuel is readily available. It also kind of keeps your fire skills tuned up if you use a firesteel light it. I have a jetboil and several liquid fuel stoves, I may feel differently if I were after game and didn't want to fool with gathering sticks dealing with soot etc. but until I find a reason not to I'll keep using my little wood stoves....2 cents

The one that keep catching my eye is the Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove 4.1oz.
Folds flat, light, simple to use.
Another one that is even lighter is the Suluk46 CT Collapsible Ti Stove, 1.13oz similar design.
But doesn't fold flat. However, they have an older version that is 2.5oz that does fold flat.
Kinda attached to my Jetboil, but have an Esbit that I'll feed wood from time to time.
Given the UL weight of some of these I could see packing one as a back-up stove or fuel conserving suppliment.
Hunt'nFish

Here is another UL option: The Pocket Stove Ti - Titanium, 2oz
tipocket.jpg

Last edited:

WV Dan

FNG
I'll add one more thing to this conversation. The double wall wood-gassifier type stoves (4 dog and solostove) that I have burn cleaner than the single wall type. Obviously they are heavier but once you get them hot they reburn the smoke as it is produced. It is kind of hard to explain but there are dozens of videos on you tube about the combustion process.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
If I buy a comercially produced stove I'm considering two wood gassers. Either a Caldera Cone Ti-Tri or 4 Dog BK 2.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
iv been wanting to try one of these as well. Im not a fan of the canister stove. If I could id like to end up using these when its warm and easy to do so. Then taking the liquid fuel when Its too cold for a canister.

Grey Man

FNG

That looks a lot like the tuna can stoves, costs only a little more, and is less work. If you went with that you could bring some denatured alcohol for fuel and use that it you were in a hurry. At sea level it takes maybe 3 minutes to boil two cups of water with my tuna can stove.

AndyB

WKR
After seeing Huntnfish's above post I picked up a pocket stove. It boiled 12 oz of water in 4 minutes 08 seconds with my trianga meths burner which just slots in. I'll let you guys know how it does with ezbit blocks and pinecones/wood when I get hold of some as it will work with any. Thanks for the heads up hunt'nfish.