natural setup archery #2 kill.

trkyslr

WKR
last thursday i got out for day 3, in the afternoon i found a couple longbeards, jake and a solo hen hanging together. i got setup out in front of them and with a few calls pulled the longbeards and jake away from the hen. they sprinted into my setup and at 6 yards i arrowed my second cali bird. this bird was a true 22-24 pounds, 10.5" beard, and sharp sharp 3 year old spurs. one of the biggest and prettiest birds ive killed in awhile. heres a pic from the video footage of the birds sprinting in with me at full draw and some success pics.00small23545348.JPG

Good looking bird! I have never arrowed one when not using a blind, but then again I haven't tried real hard either. Is this your normal setup or do you hunt out of a blind as well?

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Good looking bird! I have never arrowed one when not using a blind, but then again I haven't tried real hard either. Is this your normal setup or do you hunt out of a blind as well?
the last 5 years or so i hunted out of a blind 80% of the time. imo its not much of a challenge as a blind hides most of your movement and makes it easier to draw and get them in close. not using a blind and drawing on a bird at 6-12 yards is much much more difficult as it takes precise timing on your draw and patience for the right opportunity. and 100% camo helps big time too. this season i decided to make it more challenging and go strictly "natural setup" no blind. so far things have worked well and the reward is much greater of pulling it off without a blind. ill probably never hunt with a blind again here at home where i have lots of time to hunt and fill tags.

the last 5 years or so i hunted out of a blind 80% of the time. imo its not much of a challenge as a blind hides most of your movement and makes it easier to draw and get them in close. not using a blind and drawing on a bird at 6-12 yards is much much more difficult as it takes precise timing on your draw and patience for the right opportunity. and 100% camo helps big time too. this season i decided to make it more challenging and go strictly "natural setup" no blind. so far things have worked well and the reward is much greater of pulling it off without a blind. ill probably never hunt with a blind again here at home where i have lots of time to hunt and fill tags.

Do you often set a single jake decoy out for your setup? I'm often hunting with my kids so a blind is a must but would like to try going without like this and test my abilities when hunting alone. What decoy are you using there? I've only started to get more serious about turkey hunting in recent years but haven't shelled out for quality decoys yet. Thanks for your input!

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Do you often set a single jake decoy out for your setup? I'm often hunting with my kids so a blind is a must but would like to try going without like this and test my abilities when hunting alone. What decoy are you using there? I've only started to get more serious about turkey hunting in recent years but haven't shelled out for quality decoys yet. Thanks for your input!

dsd jake, submissive hen, and alert hen. if possible i put the jake and submissive hen 1-3 yards past and to the side of a tree/bush/rock where i want the bird to walk behind to give me a chance to draw without being seen. sometimes that not an option if its real open so ill draw when the birds blocking his own vision with his fan while strutting near the decoy, is attacking the decoy, or looking striaght at me. turkeys eye sight straight on is not as good.

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Thanks evan!

Nate you'll get the blind and maybe a coffee run...

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful bird and a perfect hunt! You are definitely right about the challenge of hunting turkeyswith a bow outside of a blind, but it seems that you have it figured out. What are you gonna do next to make things even more challenging?!

PA 5-0

WKR
Awesome accomplishment!!!! And I love the NATURAL SETUP thing. Although I have never opened it up for "argument", I am very big on no blind or shoot house hunting. Just a personal preference. Especially with turks, as their eyes are their main defense mechanism and a blind takes that away from them. And with deer, I just feel like I've earned it more if I am hanging in an oak tree with the wind, rain and snow beating me about the head and face as opposed to a heated box blind with sliding glass windows.

For the record, my son shot his first buck with his crossbow out of a pop up blind as we sat in a major downpour. And it was awesome!

Again, great trophy with the bow.

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
Beautiful bird and a perfect hunt! You are definitely right about the challenge of hunting turkeyswith a bow outside of a blind, but it seems that you have it figured out. What are you gonna do next to make things even more challenging?!

thanks ethan! make it more challenging???? maybe put the decoys 1 yard from me ;-)

OP
T

trkyslr

WKR
pa 50, thanks!!!! it makes it sweet when it comes together.