NC Black Bear

I live in the Mountains and am going to try and get down east to go after some of those monsters on the coast.
Any of yall get after them without dogs? Not knocking dogs, but I am gonna try and get after some on public ground up here as well as try and get after some on the coast if I can.
What tactics do yall implement? Any distinct habitat features you look at? In my experience I have found more sign on edges, not the old growth some folks claim

rlmmarine

WKR
I hunt the columbia area. It would be extreamly hard without dogs. Most of the bears the dogs have bayed up we have to go in on hands and knees for 100,s of yards to get to. Good luck and keep me posted on your success but i wouldnt try it.

Attachments

• 20151111_101836.jpg
    20151111_101836.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 22
I guided bear hunts around Matamuskett/Englehard for 5 years. You can still hunt them but that area is so thick with myrtle bushes that pines needles get caught in the tops and dont hit ground think 4' to 5' myrtle bushes with bear tunnels thru it. Take a chainsaw if you do punch a tag you will need it to get the bear out. I would also pack hip boots and a thermacell. Oysters are usually in during both bear seasons so grab a bushel to roast up one night for supper.
Good Luck!