ND Big 3 Drawing

NDGuy

WKR
ND drew for it's Moose and Elk tags today....

No dice..... :(

For those of you that don't know our tags here are OIL tags. Pretty brutal odds too but if you are successful you have a shot at some giant bulls. We had over 20k people applying for 400ish elk and moose tags. Still worth putting in for the chance of a $30 elk/moose tag but man those odds are brutal, and no preference points at all.

There is always next year right?

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Nothing here but it's always fun to play the game
Always hopeful and never expected! A guy I know drew bull moose!

I'm moving states down the road, can barely hunt big game in our own state nowadays besides archery deer. Takes 3 years to draw a whitetail rifle tag in farm country now.

Scoot

WKR
Sadly, I'm a MN resident now, so I can't apply for these. I did get lucky and drew a moose tag about ten years ago. Worked really hard to find a moose (needle in a haystack where I was at) and finally shot a big cow with my bow during the gun season (totally struck out during the archery season). I had at least a dozen people looking for me and I was out a ton, but it was tough sledding! I was thrilled I punched my tag though!!!

I always hoped I'd draw an elk or bighorn tag... Good luck to those waiting on a sheep tag.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Sadly, I'm a MN resident now, so I can't apply for these.
At least you got it done when you were here. I think my old man is finally throwing in the towel and is going to just put in for Cow moose next year. He just wants meat anyways.

Have a few buddies who have drawn elk tags in the last decade, always sounded like a fun hunt. Maybe they could issue more opportunity if they didn’t give rifle tags in the rut though?

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Young coworker just drew the elk tag for the unit right around TRNP his first year trying.
Have a few buddies who have drawn elk tags in the last decade, always sounded like a fun hunt. Maybe they could issue more opportunity if they didn’t give rifle tags in the rut though?
One think I wish they could do is just somehow make it where older people or at least people that have applied for x amount of years had a higher chance. No offense to your coworker, but grinds my gears when someone in their first year trying gets one whereas my old man has been applying for 45 years and hasn't drawn.

I get it though, at least everyone has a level playing field but still stinks.

One think I wish they could do is just somehow make it where older people or at least people that have applied for x amount of years had a higher chance. No offense to your coworker, but grinds my gears when someone in their first year trying gets one whereas my old man has been applying for 45 years and hasn't drawn.

I get it though, at least everyone has a level playing field but still stinks.
I get the frustration for sure. I also like the idea that you're not forcing everyone into waiting til they're old and grey to draw. Good luck to your old man, at any rate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I get the frustration for sure. I also like the idea that you're not forcing everyone into waiting til they're old and grey to draw. Good luck to your old man, at any rate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Even if they didn’t do preference points, something like allocating based on age of applicants, or else possibly having a minimum age or number of residency years to apply.

At the end of the day it’s supply and demand. There aren’t enough tags for everyone to draw one. So if you make better odds for one person it makes it worse odds for someone else. A straight random draw is probably the most fair way to run a draw imo.

They could do like Idaho and only let you apply for one species? Deer and antelope, elk, sheep, or moose.