ND Moose

This year I had pulled a coveted North Dakota any moose tag! Now I am extremely fortunate to, not only have drawn the tag, but I have access to an amazing allotment of habitat that is open to hunt (bow only). This is a once in a lifetime tag here, and I have been treating it as such. I have some great company for this season, and am extremely excited to get out and spot/stalk or call a nice bull in. There are great numbers of moose in central ND, and with limited seasons, and predators (trains, trucks, and a couple hunters). I have a few good bulls located, see attached, and was just curious what anyone had as far as size to these bulls. I based my guesstimates from this forum (and other sources), so I figured it would be fun to get your guy's thoughts on how big these two moose where. I, personally, am not one to get hung up on score, but this will likely be my only bull moose hunt. Hopefully I will be able to confirm or deny your guesstimate in early September!

Any info specifically on ND moose habits, rut dates, would be greatly appreciated.

**Update**

I had run ins with both bulls that I had been watching in the beginning of the archery season, but was not able to seal the deal. I headed to Idaho to elk hunt for 9 days in the middle of the season (I bought that tag before I drew the moose tag). Once I got back I would find the bull, but never really get an opportunity. The final weekend came around and I had finally located the long-tined bull in a corn field. I watched him all day Friday and Saturday while I was working on getting permission to hunt that field. Once I was got permission I didn't see him until last light on Saturday.

Sunday it took me a while to finally locate him back in the same corn field. I went in around mid-day to try to call him out, but he was not responding to (or hearing) my calls at all (wind was 20-30 mph). Once he finally stood up in the corn, I decided to go into the corn to get a better spot on where he would bed to try to sneak on him. Once he bedded I worked my way through the rows slowly until I heard the bull grunt. I held still and saw a cow at about 30 yards that got up, she headed south with no knowledge of me being there. Meanwhile this bull was with a second cow about 40 yards to the north of me. That cow started moving north and the bull followed (grunting non-stop). as I paralleled the bull and he disappeared over a small knob. Once I got to the knob, that cow was less than 20 yards away from me and was now moving south. I found an area that a moose had previously trampled the corn to give me about a 10 yard shooting lane perpendicular to the corn rows. That bull was coming down the absolute perfect row and I figured I would have a 10 yard broadside shot... However, once this bull's head came into the opening he turned and looked directly at me (I was at full draw at this point). Instead of continuing down the row he was, he decided to take my shooting lane directly at me. As he got closer, grunting, with love in his eyes, I began to get quite nervous. He hit the 15-20 FOOT mark and I finally decided to shout "Hey" a few time to try to get him to turn away, he to another step or two, 10 feet - I was not willing to find out how much closer he would get so I set the arrow into his chest. I was fully prepared to hit the dirt if he ran forward, but he backed up a couple steps and began to trot off. I cut through the corn and grunted at him, he stopped at 20 yards, broadside, at the top of the hill where the corn was shorter. I sent a second arrow and buried it to the fletching right behind the front shoulder. He took off, and I watched him for a while until I lost sight of him. The blood trail was massive so I knew he was not going too far. I shot him at 5:20, and when I got back to my wife who was glassing the whole ordeal, I spotted him walking through the corn and finally go down at 6:06. We let him go for another hour until I got on the blood trail and found him dead - over 500 yards from where I shot him with my second arrow. The frontal shot hit his left lung, and the second shot was a good double lung shot. This was a truly once in a lifetime experience, on a once in a lifetime bull. As it turned out, he was not the same bull I had been watching, he was bigger. I had never even seen this bull before. The spread on this bull was 53 1/4" and he has an amazing set of fronts on him. I am still in disbelief how it all went down.

Attachments

• Moose 1.jpg
    Moose 1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Moose 1-2.jpg
    Moose 1-2.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Moose 2.JPG
    Moose 2.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Bull 3 (1).jpg
    Bull 3 (1).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Bull 3 (2).jpg
    Bull 3 (2).jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Bull 3.jpg
    Bull 3.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

slick

WKR
Congrats! I had a buddy pull a tag a few years ago. I think his is number 3 in the state right now?

Anywho! Best of luck! I always seem to run into them while pheasant hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
Can't help you out with score but those look like pretty good bulls for ND. As a resident of northern ND I'm pretty jealous of the tag. Good luck.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Total score, not sure. Width, I'll throw out a couple of numbers. Moose 1 is around 45" and Moose 2 is at 50". Those are both big boys. The first looks older with the long tines and narrower palms. I'd shoot either one, but moose 1 appeals more for the tines.

Cool tag to have for sure.

Jeremy

Keep in mind the ND moose are a “northwestern” subspecies and a bit smaller than the AK Yukon, so your estimates might be biased high by a few inches. Just don’t want you to be disappointed on the inches deal; but there would be no disappointment with any of them bulls as far as ND goes!

I did the check in at Kenmare for a few years about a decade ago and did all the moose necropsies in Bismarck for a while. There are more big moose out there in the “wide open” than people think. Including a good amount of bulls in the mid to upper 50s scattered around. Give Jason Smith in Jamestown or Bill Jensen in Bismarck a call. Those guys are both very tuned into the moose in ND and great guys.

Everyone always wants to hunt the rut to call in a bull. I couldn’t disagree more from what I’ve seen in ND and AK. Early to mid September right after they lose their velvet start letting it rip with thrashing/glucking/piss noises! Good luck!!!

NUGGET

WKR
Keep in mind the ND moose are a “northwestern” subspecies and a bit smaller than the AK Yukon, so your estimates might be biased high by a few inches. Just don’t want you to be disappointed on the inches deal; but there would be no disappointment with any of them bulls as far as ND goes!

I did the check in at Kenmare for a few years about a decade ago and did all the moose necropsies in Bismarck for a while. There are more big moose out there in the “wide open” than people think. Including a good amount of bulls in the mid to upper 50s scattered around. Give Jason Smith in Jamestown or Bill Jensen in Bismarck a call. Those guys are both very tuned into the moose in ND and great guys.

Everyone always wants to hunt the rut to call in a bull. I couldn’t disagree more from what I’ve seen in ND and AK. Early to mid September right after they lose their velvet start letting it rip with thrashing/glucking/piss noises! Good luck!!!
How do you replicate the piss noise? Do you piss in the bull magnet?

BAKPAKR

WKR
Congrats on the tag! I am sure I would be happy with either of those bulls with a bow, but I f I had a choice, I would definitely go for Bull 2. I don’t care for the long point, narrow palm look of Bull 1 or the cupped shape of its rack. I know you said you aren’t too concerned about score but that single brow point on Bull 1’s right side will really hurt. Also, even though the photo of Bull 2 is not straight on, I think he is significantly wider than Bull 1.

Good luck.

How do you replicate the piss noise? Do you piss in the bull magnet?
I usually find a wallow to call from. Or usually somewhere marshy where I can stomp an area and create 2-3 inches of water. I do my regular thrashing and every so often I’ll take my gallon water filter bladder and hold it above my head and pour it into the wallow. Always kinda just did it and wasn’t sure if it was effective until last year we had a 62” bull hang up in the brush for almost an hour and he would gluck but we couldn’t get him in. Poured water into his wallow and he was coming and dead in 5 minutes. I guess it may be coincidence, but can’t hurt. I’ll be the first to admit I’m just kinda winging it out there!9D043F64-A197-4F50-BA98-C4074446E3DA.jpeg

NUGGET

WKR
I usually find a wallow to call from. Or usually somewhere marshy where I can stomp an area and create 2-3 inches of water. I do my regular thrashing and every so often I’ll take my gallon water filter bladder and hold it above my head and pour it into the wallow. Always kinda just did it and wasn’t sure if it was effective until last year we had a 62” bull hang up in the brush for almost an hour and he would gluck but we couldn’t get him in. Poured water into his wallow and he was coming and dead in 5 minutes. I guess it may be coincidence, but can’t hurt. I’ll be the first to admit I’m just kinda winging it out there!View attachment 211545
I like it!!!! Thanks for sharing!

OP
ILoveBusch
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was able to get a couple trail cam photos of bull #1. I initially was thinking that this bull was a lot bigger than the other one. Fun to see and follow these big things. Season starts on 9/4 so this week of work can not go fast enough!

Attachments

• PICT0036.JPG
    PICT0036.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 126
  • PICT0037.JPG
    PICT0037.JPG
    586 KB · Views: 128
  • PICT0038.JPG
    PICT0038.JPG
    606.7 KB · Views: 128

Schism

WKR
Those are some nice moose. I too have a ND any moose tag. I'll be heading out on the 5th trying to fill my tag with a bow. Shoot me a pm and I'll share what unit I'm hunting. Maybe we can swap intel if in the same unit.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, you have some nice pics there. Envious as hell. I've been putting in for NN moose since I was 14.... I'm 52 now. Cherish that tag. Any ND bull is a good one, you've got some really good ones on camera. One of my good friends also has a ND any moose tag this year... I really hope he gets a big boy. He's rifle hunting, and has a couple leads on a couple of really nice bulls.... time will tell what happens. Good luck, post some pics when you get one on the ground. If yiu get a shot at either of those bulls, drop the string.