ND mule deer archery success?

I have been bow hunting mule deer in western ND for the past few years. I have not had much success and can’t seem to find many quality bucks. Just curious if anyone has had any better luck or able to get it done every year?

Scoot

WKR
What do you consider a quality buck? I find quality bucks every year, but I have relatively low standards...

OP
S
What do you consider a quality buck? I find quality bucks every year, but I have relatively low standards...
I have low standards as well. Really just looking for more bucks in general for chances. I find one nice buck a year and maybe get one stalk, in 4-5 day trip. Just curious if anyone is doing well out there and if they want to share any general advice

WCB

WKR
So you are going for (1) 4-5 day trip a year? What time of the year are you going etc. Late oct or even during the rifle season it is hard not to see a "good buck" almost every day...again depending on what you are looking for but Ill say 150 or better.

Are you moving and glassing? hunting all day?

OP
S
Hunting all day. Moving and glassing yes. We have been going at different times. Early, mid and late. I understand that one trip per year for 4 days is not much time, that’s probably the biggest thing is that it’s just not much time

Fatcamp

WKR
Not much time. In SD it took me years of several trips a year to start finding pockets. And honestly, that's what it's about.

D S 319

WKR
Opener wasn’t too exciting for us. Maybe this next trip they will be found.

OP
S
I have been hunting the big canyons near the river. Definitely more difficult to maneuver, you guys find that you find more deer in the smaller draws and coulees or the big canyon country

Was there before the season opened through the 5th. I glassed everything from big horn rams, pronghorn, turkeys, plethora of MD does, some WT does, but never turned up a mature mule deer buck. Glassed from before sunrise through sunset and spotted several forked horn to smaller 4x4s. Was very careful to never skyline myself too.

Was on state and grasslands and everywhere I went had cattle. I spoke with the biologist who said that there really aren't mature MD bucks on public in the Badlands. He also said that archery season in the Badlands gets a crap ton of pressure because there aren't many rifle tags given out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
S
Well I know they are out there, this was our 6th yr in a row bow hunting out there and we have found at least one 140”+ 3.5 old or more each year. They are definitely hard to find. I am certainly starting to think that bucks do not like any presence or cattle. Well anyways this helps me realize it’s not just me and that’s it’s just they fact there aren’t many bucks. Thanks

I can’t help you, only confirm what you’ve seen. Last weekend I went out 3 days and saw more spikes and forks than I could count. One wide spindly 3 pointer was the best buck we found by far. I’m sure he’ll be dead before the end of rifle and it’ll be more of the same in that spot.

Well I know they are out there, this was our 6th yr in a row bow hunting out there and we have found at least one 140”+ 3.5 old or more each year. They are definitely hard to find. I am certainly starting to think that bucks do not like any presence or cattle. Well anyways this helps me realize it’s not just me and that’s it’s just they fact there aren’t many bucks. Thanks
I used to live out there & just just got back from a 6 day hunt in which I filled my any deer NR bow tag. First night I got out their late & went to small chunk of public to glass and it had cattle on it & I glassed up 15 different bucks. Shot my MD buck within 50 yards of 2 angus bulls, the buck I harvested was with 8or9 other bucks. There is still plenty of good bucks out their you just need to find them special pockets that they live in year after year.

OP
S
I used to live out there & just just got back from a 6 day hunt in which I filled my any deer NR bow tag. First night I got out their late & went to small chunk of public to glass and it had cattle on it & I glassed up 15 different bucks. Shot my MD buck within 50 yards of 2 angus bulls, the buck I harvested was with 8or9 other bucks. There is still plenty of good bucks out their you just need to find them special pockets that they live in year after year.
Nice congrats! Ya I don’t think I’m far off cause I have at least a stalk every year on a nice buck. In general would you say you see more bucks in the more rugged canyon country or rolling draws and grass? Good to know about the cows.

horse a piece in my opinion, definitely easier to find and more deer per square mile up top on the rolling draws but don't count out the deep rugged country, they are just tougher to find in the rugged stuff.

Scoot

WKR
I spoke with the biologist who said that there really aren't mature MD bucks on public in the Badlands. He also said that archery season in the Badlands gets a crap ton of pressure because there aren't many rifle tags given out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
The first part of the quote above is ridiculous. The second part is true.