NE Utah Hiking & Fishing Recommendations

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
I asked for recommendations on here last year for Camping Near Denver and got a great suggestion so I am going to try this again.

A buddy and I are going on a trip to NE Utah and want to catch some fish. Our plan is to fly into Salt Lake City from New Orleans on a Wednesday in mid to late August and fly out on Sunday. We are currently looking at the "Christmas Meadows to Ostler Lake Trail" and the "Granddaddy Lake Trail." Both of these offer a good 6ish mile hike in and out with many fishing options. We'd like a place that is not too heavily trafficked and ideally, a place that we may encounter some deer/elk/moose.

We are both completely unfamiliar with the area but are experienced with backcountry camping (mostly for elk hunting).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't fish so it's hard for me to have input there, but I assume you're renting a car? Passenger car or SUV?

Yes, we'll be renting something AWD/4WD likely through Turo
Just be advised that that is the busier end of the Uintas, since it's easy access from SLC. IMO Grandaddy area gives you some more options to get away from the crowds by going to some of the other lakes in the basin.

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah we were leaning that way just because of the multiple options. The Ostler Lake are just looked prettier lol.

Christmas Meadows is a great little river to fish. If you make it up the trailhead a couple miles away from people the fishing improves. Beautiful views , plenty of big game to view and hungry trout. There are many high mountain lakes along the Mirror Lake Highway to fish so you would have plenty of options. If you have any other questions about the area shoot me a PM.

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. I will likely message you in the next couple days/weeks to get some more insight

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
The Uintas are still mostly ice capped and HWY 150 is still closed. As things thaw out a bit I can give you some updates on the fishing/trails.
As of now we are thinking up heading up the Timothy Lakes Trail and fish all of those lakes. Any experience here? Tips?