Nebraska Antelop Hunting - First Time NR

I see left over tags for non residents are limited to 250 this year, also go on sale August 3rd 2021.

A few questions that I have-
1. Do I need to be waiting in an online portal an hour to half hour before midnight to get a tag? Or is it a random pool?
2. I use ONX and Huntstand religously and am debating going between the NW corner "Oglala Grasslands" or staying towards the Platte area in the southern part of the state, fine with either but do not want to sit at a waterhole, I would like to stalk these bad boys.
3. Watching YouTube videos of guys doing this, most archery shots seem to be 40 yards or better, what distances should I make sure I'm comfortable to (60) I assume?
4. Do these animals even taste good? Never ate one!

Thanks in advance - Gabe

Attachments

• Deer 1.jpg
    Deer 1.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 50

Laramie

WKR
The tags are limited this year. Not sure what the demand will be like but public posts like yours are sure to increase the chances more are waiting in line for the tags. No offense intended as it doesn't impact me as a resident.

They taste great if you get the hide off asap and cool the meat down quickly on ice. Plan on significant pressure from other hunters on the very limited amount of public land. It can be done but the hunt is challenging to say the least.

IMO, a non-resident would have a better archery hunt on the limited public land in NE Wyoming.

Good luck.

The tags are limited this year. Not sure what the demand will be like but public posts like yours are sure to increase the chances more are waiting in line for the tags. No offense intended as it doesn't impact me as a resident.

They taste great if you get the hide off asap and cool the meat down quickly on ice. Plan on significant pressure from other hunters on the very limited amount of public land. It can be done but the hunt is challenging to say the least.

IMO, a non-resident would have a better archery hunt on the limited public land in NE Wyoming.

Good luck.

I just spoke with the NE tag office, the NR Archery tag has been changed to a draw with about 250 available tags.

Jimss

WKR
Depending on where you are hunting you may go days without seeing an antelope in Nebraska! There also is quite a bit of private land. Quality of bucks is not very good....few to 0 B&C entries from Nebraska. Antelope with bow in Nebraska is a challenge. Just finding them can be a challenge. There is so much water that they don't concentrate around 1 water source. Rolling hills makes it super tough to see and find them. Obviously if you have permission on prime private land it will help. Antelope are a great critter to hunt but super challenging spot and stalking with bow!

OP
gabedenzine
There has been a pile on resident complaints about the number of hunters on the small amount of public land. Honestly 100 would be too many with resident being unlimited.
They Should just raise the price. With all the YouTuber's out there advertising these sports, the number of hunters in these western states is going to keep rising.

Laramie

WKR
They Should just raise the price. With all the YouTuber's out there advertising these sports, the number of hunters in these western states is going to keep rising.
I agree with you 100%. That has been recommended to NG&P.

They didn't sell that many NR Archery tags to begin with. 250 tags is somewhere between a 15-20% draw. Currently, not really worth the hassle. Hopefully they can manage them better and make it a much higher quality hunt.

jrm02

FNG
The 250 NR archery antelope tags are OTC; they're just capped at 250 this year, instead of unlimited as they have been in the past. Tags go on sale 8/3.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jrm02

FNG
They didn't sell that many NR Archery tags to begin with. 250 tags is somewhere between a 15-20% draw. Currently, not really worth the hassle. Hopefully they can manage them better and make it a much higher quality hunt.
They sold over 500 NR archery antelope tags last year, and they've seen a pretty substantial increase over the past few years. The increased archery pressure (both resident and NR) has also had a negative impact on resident rifle/muzzleloader success rates, and some of those tags take 5+ years to draw. It has been, and remains an OTC tag.

jrm02

FNG
They did. NR tag went from $184.50 to $207. They're limited in how much the annual increase can be though.

Is that draw over with?

Apparently it is not a draw, it is a cap as jrm02 pointed out. First come first serve.

They sold over 500 NR archery antelope tags last year, and they've seen a pretty substantial increase over the past few years. The increased archery pressure (both resident and NR) has also had a negative impact on resident rifle/muzzleloader success rates, and some of those tags take 5+ years to draw. It has been, and remains an OTC tag.

So it won't be too bad then.

This thread is a good one for myself and others who want to chase pronghorn in more states than just Wyoming (which is number one on many people's list for good reason.) I myself made a thread talking about how I want to hunt pronghorn in every state that I can DIY public land style. Asking for state rankings based on few important factors. I mentioned that I was thinking of hunting OTC Archery 🏹 pronghorn in Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado. Plus many of the draw hunts in Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Colorado, possibly Arizona.
We saw some speed goats riding through Nebraska, once we went past Kearney heading to Wyoming then into Idaho for a deer hunt.

RC57

FNG
Interesting a draw in august for 250 NR Tags...
I’m new to this website also but if your looking for goats South Dakota has some great opportunities and millions of acreage of public land and them speed demons are plentiful especially up around the Newell area not sure on NR tags though.

RC57

FNG
I’m new to this website also but if your looking for goats South Dakota has some great opportunities and millions of acreage of public land and them speed demons are plentiful especially up around the Newell area not sure on NR tags though.
Is that archery or firearms being a resident I draw a firearm tag every other year and archery tags for residents are otc.

Laramie

WKR
They actually do a great job managing them. There is just very little public land.