Nebraska Archery Antelope

First time antelope hunter here, interested in giving it a go and wondering about goats around the NW corner on NE in the Oglala grassland area. I have a little vacation time to burn and i want to try and chase some speed goats with my bow. I've heard its a nice little challenge, but I've never been to the area and am curious about goat population. I'm not dead set on going to this area but the size and terrain type looked like appealing antelope country, plus NE is a very doable trip to make for me as this will be a solo trip. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm not worried about trophy quality antelope, I am more so looking for an experience builder. I'm hoping to get in a few stalks in and always look forward to scouting some new country, always a plus if i mange to stick one at the end of the day.

I hunted Mule Deer in Nebraska last year and for some reason was thinking they don't have NR Antelope tags. I could be wrong though. Not sure why I am thinking that.

KHNC

WKR
NR archery antelope is OTC in that area. The OG lands have plenty of them. Just be sure to go before the ML season starts. Dont count on going on the opener and sitting water either. There will be a MOB of hunters doing that. Wait till mid sept and go. I always hunted them mid day in between morning and evening whitetail hunts. You can cover miles in your truck and spot them bedded out in the prairie. The hilly terrain will help you stalking. I was always able to get 2-3 stalks per day with this method. Lost plenty of arrows shooting in the wind and missing. If you are just antelope hunting , your success rate should go up.

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of ground out there. I have been a few times. I will say this about driving and spotting them. If you do see them, don't just stop and stare - they wise up quick. Drive on past a ways out of sight. I have been out there glassing on a hill many times and see a truck stop, the pronghorns stand up and move off. Best of luck!

ddenney

FNG
I'm going to be out there second week of Sept. Been there once before and saw a good number of goats. Its alot of fun and a good "practice run" for western hunts I feel. Plus they just get under your skin a bit.
Best of luck out there!

jimney

FNG
I decided to take my father in law out to that vicinity this fall. I did rifle season in WY last year, and it was an amazing hunt! I'm really hopeful to get him (early 70's) on a speed goat. Of course, I'd love to pop one too, but really want him to tag out. We're both planning on using crossbows and sitting on water holes. However, I haven't ruled out trying a stalk if the opportunity presents itself. Anyway, good luck, and if you see a green, Iowa pickup out there, give us a wave and a holler.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
There are some great Antelope in Nebraska. The 1 key to you question is you wish to hunt this year. Unless you plan on hunting archery it will take a minimum of 3 years of applying to have enough preference points to draw a permit for rifle or muzzleloader. I have also hunted Wyoming. Lot's more public land and greater numbers of antelope. Not necessarily a lot of better quality antelope in the easy to draw Wyoming areas. The Wyoming application period ends I believe the end of February so start doing your homework asap on the Wyoming fish and game. Antelope hunting is a great hunt at a great time of year.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the area but usually hunt antelope in Wyoming, we simply don't have the genetics for bucks over 80. I believe the state record is something like 82 I've shot probably 15 in Ne. bow, rife, Muzzy and the biggest I've shot in Ne. is a 76. I have the Muzzy tag this year which I can draw every 3rd year but will hunt private. I used to hunt the Ogallala Grasslands and was exploring the grasslands 10 days ago while looking at an elk ranch, pasture #1 where S.D. Wyoming and Ne. come together had a nice buck with a pile of does in it and more grass for stalking than usual. Good Luck and have fun.

jimney

FNG
Hey Husker, did you get more rain out there this year? I'm curious if I should expect more green, based on your comment about the grass. Also, how are ticks out in the grasslands? I have seen way too many here in Iowa this year.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
We have more rain and water around than anytime in the 40 years I have lived here. The roads and trails in many areas are totally impassable. County budgets just don't have the funding to get them back in shape also there is a big shortage of gravel so they are pretty rough. I don't think sitting on water will work well because there is so much water this year. I was scouting this morning for a muzzy antelope tag Sept. 21st and buried my pickup in a wet meadow that hasn't been this wet in years. I'm originally from Iowa and the lighter sandy soil does dry out a lot quicker and the Ogallala Grasslands trails usually dry out fairly quickly.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Ticks are mainly gone haven't found one on me after a hike since late July. Grass is so high antelope are hard to see in some areas I completely lost a herd of 8 this morning that had a buck in them but the sunflowers were so high I couldn't find big bluestem is 6' tall in pastures that haven't been grazed.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Have the roads been too wet to drive on? Would an ATV be worthwhile to bring along?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure I’d even waste my time in the Grasslands again. Gets absolutely hammered by hunters. Ask around, for a $500 trespass fee you can have massive tracts of undisturbed private land. The goats are way “easier” to hunt. I went to school at Chadron for 2 1/2 years so I spent a fair amount in the area myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Anybody know if there are cows running around that area? I've heard that those cow decoys work really well and am hard-pressed to try my luck with one rather than a proghorn decoy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

toasty

FNG
We tried both a pronghorn and a Montana cow decoy last week in WY and neither worked. They would hold until we got within about 500 yards and they were gone. If we dipped into a ravine with the decoy, they were super skittish and were gone. Drive past and park out of sight and stalk them in a ravine is what worked best for us.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I think the roads will depend on what happens with moisture in the future we got over 3" again last night unbelievable rains this year. I agree the grasslands do get hammered for rifle, I see very few people hunting the grasslands for archery.

I have no idea why sometimes cow decoys work and then the next time you put one up and they run for a mile, to me it doesn't seem to mature if there is cows in the pasture. I've had the same thing happen with a buck antelope decoy I have, I wish I had a doe antelope decoy to try, I don't have one.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure I’d even waste my time in the Grasslands again. Gets absolutely hammered by hunters. Ask around, for a $500 trespass fee you can have massive tracts of undisturbed private land. The goats are way “easier” to hunt. I went to school at Chadron for 2 1/2 years so I spent a fair amount in the area myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People really pay $500 for a trespass fee? For goats nonetheless?

jimney

FNG
Took the father in law out today. We're sitting on tanks in the grasslands. It's not bad here. Saw a couple hunters when we arrived but nobody where we are at. Also saw a few speed goats at the water as we approached, so we will see what patience will get us.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Took the father in law out today. We're sitting on tanks in the grasslands. It's not bad here. Saw a couple hunters when we arrived but nobody where we are at. Also saw a few speed goats at the water as we approached, so we will see what patience will get us.

Good luck man. I'll be out there this weekend