Nebraska Archery Antelope

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back yesterday. Great weather, could have used abit more wind yesterday. Has been a wet year but the ground is dry. Bucks yesterday were just starting to break up. I will say you have to go deep, we would go a mile plus from the road and saw quite a few. We missed one decent buck, got real close on 3 more only to get busted right at the end... If you drive to spot them and park, be warned, they see a truck sit still they split. So I'd say drop off buddy and drive off, don't sit and watch. Had a stalk busted friday because another truck stopped to watch us stalk a pair (our truck was hidden) after a couple minutes of them staring at the truck they split.... Still a super fun hunt. Good luck to you all!

jimney

FNG
Monday was our last day as well. We didn't end up taking a speed goat between the 2 of us. The wind hurt the water sitting option on Monday and about took my blind despite 9 stakes. I learned a lot about chasing them with a bow. All said, it was a fun time with lots of memories!

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Anybody ever camp out in the grasslands? From my understanding you can pull off and camp just about wherever you want. I called the forest service but the lady I got directed to didn't seem to know much about it. Can anyone give me some insight of what's okay and not okay?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jimney

FNG
Anybody ever camp out in the grasslands? From my understanding you can pull off and camp just about wherever you want. I called the forest service but the lady I got directed to didn't seem to know much about it. Can anyone give me some insight of what's okay and not okay?

I saw people camping, some weren't hunting. We didn't camp, but I do have a number that might help. I can't remember the gentleman's name I spoke to. This is for the field office in the grasslands - 308-665-2924

Yes you can camp in the grasslands. There is even a few spots to camp at such as Toadstool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Some people even pay 1500 to hunt private with an outfitter! Can you believe that nonsense??

Yeah I could understand sheep or mountain goat, if you get drawn and want that extra experience for a once in a lifetime deal. But hell, when I worked in NW MO I had guys driving from Alabama paying $5,000 to hunt whitetail.

Some people even pay 1500 to hunt private with an outfitter! Can you believe that nonsense??

I agree haha but at the same time, if you are a rancher and have 20 guys knocking on your door every year to chase antelope, a little cash coming in never hurts. I always did day work when I was up there for college and most of those guys would let me hunt then. Gotta love private ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Yeah I could understand sheep or mountain goat, if you get drawn and want that extra experience for a once in a lifetime deal. But hell, when I worked in NW MO I had guys driving from Alabama paying $5,000 to hunt whitetail.
My quote was actually satire. I paid 1500 to hunt private in wyoming this year myself. lol

mudcat81

FNG
I have about 11 days over 3 archery seasons and have yet to release an arrow on a Nebraska antelope. First year I only stalked. Grass was vey short and very limited cover. 78 yards was closest I got. Second year I was patient and stayed in the blind. Had does inside 40 yards feeding but the buck never came in. Last time out I sat the blind the whole time again. Had 2 bucks fighting around 50 yards. Much smaller buck came by at 27 yards at a slow walk. Was at full draw on him but the much larger buck started walking after him. Re adjusted to get on big buck but he stopped and walked straight away from me and bedded with does at 107 yards until dark. Every year I tell myself to take the first opportunity that presents its self. Have yet to follow my own advice. Besides cooking in a blind it is a blast. Love watching bucks heard their does and fight and chase off other bucks.

Stocker

FNG
I lucked out and killed one the first day of hunting last year October 1st. I’m going again this coming week. I think the key is not wasting too much time on unstalkable goats. The rougher shale ground gives pretty good cover to move around in.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I lucked out and killed one the first day of hunting last year October 1st. I’m going again this coming week. I think the key is not wasting too much time on unstalkable goats. The rougher shale ground gives pretty good cover to move around in.

Do you use a decoy?

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
No, just got lucky. I found a buck in a good stalkable spot. I was guessing about a 50 yard shot from the top of this little rise down to where he was. I had about snuck to the top of it when I could see his horns coming over the hill to me. I shot him at 10 yards.

Wew, that's awesome man

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Wanted to bring this back around...
OP, how did the hunt go?

The hunt went good. It was the experience builder that I was after. I was unable to connect with a buck. Made some stalks that didn't pan out. Seriously underestimated the incredible eyesight that antelope have. Decoying was fun. Had a cool interaction with the first buck I tried it on, but wasn't super effective overall. In hindsight I probably could've made it happen if I sat on water the whole trip, but to be honest, that wasn't something I wanted to do with the few days that I had. Lots of goats, lots of hunters, and some pretty neat country! Ill be back!

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
The hunt went good. It was the experience builder that I was after. I was unable to connect with a buck. Made some stalks that didn't pan out. Seriously underestimated the incredible eyesight that antelope have. Decoying was fun. Had a cool interaction with the first buck I tried it on, but wasn't super effective overall. In hindsight I probably could've made it happen if I sat on water the whole trip, but to be honest, that wasn't something I wanted to do with the few days that I had. Lots of goats, lots of hunters, and some pretty neat country! Ill be back!

What dates were you out there? May have seen you guys