Nebraska deer hunt

Mhayes553

FNG
Hey guys first time poster here. Me and a friend had a hunt booked with an outfitter for a mule deer hunt but due to a family emergency they had to cancel. Well we had already bought tags so we are headed out anyways to hike some miles. We are staying south of Valentine and looking at trying the public land. We both hunt Colorado diy elk on public and have been successful so we are no stranger to hard work. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rikkar

FNG
NE resident here, just off a successful public land rifle hunt where I shot my muley buck opening morning and then proceeded to not see a single buck for the next 4 days while I hiked with some partners. Best advice I can give is to put the miles on, and watch the cedars and scrub piles if the weather is a little warmer. If you're hunting archery, take it very slow as everything is dry and crackly. The wind can absolutely be used to your advantage to mask the sound, it can legit howl up to 50 mph in the sandhills. Best of luck, hope you find a dandy!

OP
Mhayes553

Mhayes553

FNG
Thanks for the reply. We are definitely gonna put the miles on. Going into it with realistic low expectations but looking forward to the adventure.

Good luck to ya. While I have minimal experience hunting western states(twice). I can honestly say shooting a smaller buck(3.5 old+) feels better then shooting a large rack buck w/ a outfitter. First I would get hunt on x, it really opens up lots of opportunities. It at least speeds things up while in the field. Do as much research as you can before hand, including all rules and regs. Stay positive, If you go hard for multiple days in row and don't accomplish much. Take a day off to just drive around, glass some easy to reach spots. Good luck to ya and you have a awesome opportunity.

OP
Mhayes553

Mhayes553

FNG
Thanks. I’ve been pouring over onX and saving maps. Were really looking forward to it. Everything is packed and ready to go.

OP
Mhayes553

Mhayes553

FNG
Well we made it back. It was a decent trip. Weather wasn’t the best to start with but it got better. We both harvested mule deer and got a bonus whitetail buck. Seems like there was plenty of mule deer on private land. Seen tons of white tails on the public. I was rather surprised that we didn’t see a whole lot of traffic. There was definitely pressure but it was manageable. We seen all sorts of wildlife from upland birds to waterfowl and about every other critter that lives there.

Thanks for sharing, good to see a successful hunt for both of you. I’m giving it a shot out there in 2020, it’s my first hunt out of IN. Anything I MUST take or shouldn’t take?