Nebraska Goat

Reflex

FNG
Filled my Nebraska antelope muzzleoader tag this past Saturday. I had permission on a small piece of private land in the NW part of the state where I have bow hunted a couple of times in the past. I did some hiking and glassing there and didn’t spot any antelope. In the early afternoon on Saturday, I decided to drive up north a few more miles to some public land. I spotted a group of antelope out in the wide open and could tell there was a pretty good buck in the group. I almost kept driving because it appeared that there was no way that I was going to get close enough for a shot. I decided to go for it anyway. There was a large group of cattle that were watering at a tank, so I kept them between myself and the antelope to cut the distance. After I got to the cattle, I still had about 500 yards to go and there didn’t appear to be much in the way of topography to aid my stalk. The buck was obviously the herd buck and was watching over his does. Two smaller subordinate bucks came up and start messing with the herd. The herd buck kept chasing them off, which was pretty cool to see. I just sat there in the 12” high grass watching the show not thinking that there was any chance that I was going to shoot one of these goats, at least not on that particular day. After about an hour, the group of does got up and started feeding. They went to a low spot in the field that I didn’t know was there. When the herd buck and one of the subordinate bucks went down by the does, I got up and ran about 200 yards. I sat down and waited. After a long time of just sitting, the herd buck started chasing the other buck right toward me. They got to another low spot about 100 yards out in front of me. The first one popped up over the hill and saw me. He started trotting away, but I was ready for a shot at the herd buck. About two seconds later the bigger buck came out and froze when he saw me. He turned to run away, but I shot and dropped him. It was a pretty cool stalk that lasted about 4 hours in all.

KHNC

WKR
That's pretty awesome! Ive hunted that area of NE a lot over the years, public and private. Mostly for whitetails morning/evening an decoying goats mid day. This is the perfect time to be there! Rut rut rut right now! Lots of fun!

OP
Reflex

Reflex

FNG
Thanks for all of the acknowledgements guys! Needless to say, I was pretty pumped when I got him.