Nebraska Mule Deer Help

bwelshl7

FNG
Hello everyone, I’m considering picking up a Nebraska archery tag. I have hunted a lot in the west and it’s abit closer to Iowa for a September trip.

I have done a fair amount of research but thought I’d make a post here to dig a little deeper. Wondering if anyone had suggestions on public land areas. I like the sounds of the more southern and central areas but understand public is limited.

I have great private and public land whitetail hunting in Iowa and many hunts under my belt in the western states if someone wants to swap info. Thanks

Last edited:

Scottyboy

WKR
I’m far from an expert on Nebraska, but my experience tells me that private access is your best bet. I’m sure you can find bucks on public, but I believe what “little” (which is relative of course) public land that is available can be difficult.

I hunt private and for me, the cost is well worth it

OP
bwelshl7

bwelshl7

FNG
Thanks for the information, do you have any suggestions or resources for acquiring permission other than knocking on doors? We have a lot of private here and I understand how the process works.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Spent 2 years living amongst the Flatlanders in Nebraska. Good archery mule deer and antelope archery otc can he had in the public lands in the pan handle those rolling grass lands are a challenge with a bow but I had good stocks every day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chet

FNG
Well, I was going to shoot you a PM, but apparently I can’t do that until I reach some threshold. I’ll try to get back to you once I get there.

OP
bwelshl7

bwelshl7

FNG
Spent 2 years living amongst the Flatlanders in Nebraska. Good archery mule deer and antelope archery otc can he had in the public lands in the pan handle those rolling grass lands are a challenge with a bow but I had good stocks every day.

Thanks Shaw.

Well, I was going to shoot you a PM, but apparently I can’t do that until I reach some threshold. I’ll try to get back to you once I get there.
[email protected] is my email if that is quicker. thanks

What dates are you headed out there? I'm from Iowa as well and I'll be out there from Aug 22 til Sept 7 chasing antelope and mulies. This will be my first hunt in Nebraska.

OP
bwelshl7

bwelshl7

FNG
What dates are you headed out there? I'm from Iowa as well and I'll be out there from Aug 22 til Sept 7 chasing antelope and mulies. This will be my first hunt in Nebraska.
I’m not sure on dates at the
Moment. Sometime in September

mudcat81

FNG
I will be coming from Wisconsin and will be hunting antelope and deer around Chadron. I am mainly targeting antelope but have seen a couple decent mule deer bucks while antelope hunting so I am picking up a deer tag this year. If I get lucky and fill my antelope tag early I will try for a deer. Most of the mule deer bucks I have seen are on private. I have never seen much for numbers but they are out there.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I will be heading out there from Wisconsin as well. Going after mule deer. We are planning on September. It will be my first time hunting Nebraska though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
Sounds like will be plenty of traffic. I urge everyone to stop and get forest service road use maps if ur hunting those areas. Alot of two tracks appear to the naked eye as perfectly passable only to be closed on the Maps.

rwurdeman

FNG
I feel super fortunate to be able to live out here in western Nebraska. Archery is OTC with long seasons and generous tag allocations. With that being said it is VERY VERY VERY difficult to find a high-quality buck on public land. Not impossible just hard. With where the mule deer like to stay be ready to take long shots. They love the wide-open rolling sandhills. Check every nook and cranny when glassing and slowly come over hills as there could be anything on the other side.

Crescent Lake is not a bad area but you will walk for miles may not see anything just to have the deer circle around you. You also can not stay overnight in Crescent lake so at times it feels like all the work is for not because you have to turn around and walk back.

Area by Crawford is not bad either but everyone and their dog come out that way with lackluster results.

My best advice without giving away any honey holes is to look for public land that borders private that have feed and cover and you will be able to catch the deer slipping up. Also, be ready for like mentioned above to take some longer shots. A heavier arrow bucks the wind more. Out here it's always windy.

Hope this helps. If you need more specifics don't hesitate to message me here. You can also reach out via phone 605.858.2290. Being a non-res can be difficult ( i have been there) anyway I can help I will. We are all on the same team.

OP
bwelshl7

bwelshl7

FNG
I feel super fortunate to be able to live out here in western Nebraska. Archery is OTC with long seasons and generous tag allocations. With that being said it is VERY VERY VERY difficult to find a high-quality buck on public land. Not impossible just hard. With where the mule deer like to stay be ready to take long shots. They love the wide-open rolling sandhills. Check every nook and cranny when glassing and slowly come over hills as there could be anything on the other side.

Crescent Lake is not a bad area but you will walk for miles may not see anything just to have the deer circle around you. You also can not stay overnight in Crescent lake so at times it feels like all the work is for not because you have to turn around and walk back.

Area by Crawford is not bad either but everyone and their dog come out that way with lackluster results.

My best advice without giving away any honey holes is to look for public land that borders private that have feed and cover and you will be able to catch the deer slipping up. Also, be ready for like mentioned above to take some longer shots. A heavier arrow bucks the wind more. Out here it's always windy.

Hope this helps. If you need more specifics don't hesitate to message me here. You can also reach out via phone 605.858.2290. Being a non-res can be difficult ( i have been there) anyway I can help I will. We are all on the same team.
Thanks for the info guys, I’m going to take it all and apply it to some scouting. Waiting to hear on an elk tag. If that doesn’t work out in the draw I will be making a trip out to Nebraska! Good luck on your upcoming seasons.

OP
bwelshl7

bwelshl7

FNG
How did your hunt end up? I haven’t headed that way yet.

I was there the last two years early season. Last year was way better this year was stupid dry. Thinking about going back the third week of October. Any advice for that time of year?

Lytro

WKR
I was there the last two years early season. Last year was way better this year was stupid dry. Thinking about going back the third week of October. Any advice for that time of year?
The 3rd week of October isn't going to be that much different than the hunting you've done in September. You'll have cooler temps, but still fairly warm, and the bucks will be split up from their bachelor groups. There's no real elevation in NE, so you should know what to expect if you hunt deer anywhere in the midwest.

The corn has started to come out of the fields high moisture so not quite full on but it's getting the deer moving quite a bit more. If that helps at all. Just remember that a full load of grain on a semi can't stop on a dime!