Nebraska Muley public land

Jirvin85

FNG
Hey there fellas I am planning a trip to western nebraska to hunt mulies during the archery season, looking at the frenchmen unit, I am 35 good shape and have hunted mulies alot where in your opinion is the best public land dont need tons of monster bucks just trying to get on a solid 4x4 any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Happy hunting.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Try changing up your questions to certain questions about access, weather, etc. These general “where should I hunt” type of questions do not get answers. Everyone knows as soon as they post a public land spot on here it’s toast. You might get a PM from someone with more information, but just giving you a heads up.

OP
J

Jirvin85

FNG
Try changing up your questions to certain questions about access, weather, etc. These general “where should I hunt” type of questions do not get answers. Everyone knows as soon as they post a public land spot on here it’s toast. You might get a PM from someone with more information, but just giving you a heads up.
Thanks, this is the first post I have done on these things just looking for some ideas and I understand what your saying thanks for not being a dick like these other dudes. Happy hunting.

Thanks, this is the first post I have done on these things just looking for some ideas and I understand what your saying thanks for not being a dick like these other dudes. Happy hunting.

You are going to have a tough time getting information after insulting people. All we are saying is that you should try to contribute to the forum a little more before asking questions the way you did. There are tons of good people on this forum who can help but you need to go about it a little different...

OP
J

Jirvin85

FNG
Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone, just looking for a little help, I have done my research on a few of the refuges and have a plan just thought I could get a little help. And yes looking for like a 160 I like shooting mature animals not young deer.

OP
J

Jirvin85

FNG
You are going to have a tough time getting information after insulting people. All we are saying is that you should try to contribute to the forum a little more before asking questions the way you did. There are tons of good people on this forum who can help but you need to go about it a little different...
I have never done these forums, I dont know the do's and dont's I was just looking for a little help and thought this would be the place I am not trying to upset anyone i am just trying to have a good hunt, I have never hunted in nebraska I grew up in arizona and guided on the az strip, as far insulting that is what everyone did to me except the one gentlemen that explained what I could do better.

KHNC

WKR
Try over on Archery Talk. They are generally more helpful with this type of information. you may even end up with a few honey holes.

OP
J

Jirvin85

FNG
Try over on Archery Talk. They are generally more helpful with this type of information. you may even end up with a few honey holes.
Thanks all check that out, I was not trying to stir the pot but I guess I did on my first shot. I'm not even asking for honey holes was just looking for any info I could get. Lesson learned.

xOttox

FNG
What areas have you looked at? Which refuges? Time of year plan on going?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jirvin85

FNG
What areas have you looked at? Which refuges? Time of year plan on going?

Crecent lake and valentine, beginning of September and then there is some public north of imperial that looks good. I'm leaning toward crescent just because you have to hike your tail off and I'm not afraid to do that but I understand the deer population is low.

OP
J

Jirvin85

FNG
You literally asked for "the best public land."
Yes, my mistake im new to this, I have done alot of research and was basically trying to confirm my research to someone that knows nebraska was looking for like hey I like Valentine and then I proceed to hunt hard again i apologize.

Yes, my mistake im new to this, I have done alot of research and was basically trying to confirm my research to someone that knows nebraska was looking for like hey I like Valentine and then I proceed to hunt hard again i apologize.

No problemo. You should call the biologists and the wardens of the areas you're interested in. I definitely love to hear from other hunters, but you may be chasing dead deer if you do that too much. Also the bio/warden have a ton more data points to draw from.

The guys here are great. Good hearts, good folks. But no matter how good their intentions, they can't overcome the reality of ne public land.

Public land in NE is small,

the habitat is secondary left over stuff the pioneers passed on,

and sept 1, when the bowhunters, upland bird honks (grouse), turkey hunters, and the fox pro army shows up 99% of the deer are promptly bounced to the surrounding private lands, not to be seen again till spring green up.

The guys on the adjoining private do appreciate it though.

OP
J

Jirvin85

FNG
I may regret this but......

the refuge outside valentine has some truly excellent whitetail hunting, but very few mule deer.

After looking at the special refuge regs, you will find that TIME is your enemy.
Thank you, I live in southwest Iowa so I am set on mulies.
I may regret this but......

the refuge outside valentine has some truly excellent whitetail hunting, but very few mule deer.

After looking at the special refuge regs, you will find that TIME is your enemy.
[/QUOTE. Gotcha thank you so much I am looking more for mulies since I love in iowa got the whitetail covered

xOttox

FNG
Valentine gets a fair bit of traffic and like Sno said, mule deer would be few and far compared to whitetails.

Further West will provide better opportunities and dependent on location you will have plains or can get into steep draws.

I get the feeling this year will be tougher than normal with more pressure as more folks get out out to hunt due to restrictions.