Nebraska mulies??

So coming from Michigan and trying to buy an over the counter mule deer tag for Nebraska can anyone give me any info on what part of the state to start in? I've only drove through Nebraska once on my way to Colorado last year for an otc elk hunt, definetly want to go rifle, not looking for a trophy just to see some animals , just have no clue where to start gonna start doing research I'd like to go this fall/winter camp or hotel don't matter just looking for a good time and some muley action!

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Nebraska game and parks website has most of the info you need. You will have to stick to the western half of the state if you want to shoot a muley. Very little public land and it’s very crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bighunt531
Yeah I did a little reading in previous threads before I posted mine, I'd like to find some private if possible to hunt but I'd be happy with a public meat buck for sure I just have to start putting it together like I did my otc elk hunt that's half the fun lol but also half the work!

Its going to be VERY difficult hunting this year. From what I have read, its even drier this year than last. As previously stated, you will need to be on the Western End of the state. Keep in mind, that residents will also be rifle hunting with you. We did a lot of work prior to heading out there hunting. You will be best served pouring over maps and getting a good idea of where you want to go. Once you have the areas identified, put boots on the ground. We invested in making a scouting trip out there to see the terrain and develop our hunt plan further. Nothing better than putting your eyes on the scene and boots on the ground. It will lessen your learning curve than hitting the ground without a plan.

BeaverGuy

FNG
Good luck, if you want private access some scouting trips to ask for permission may be in order. Or I'm sure there are people that will charge fees

OP
Bighunt531
Its going to be VERY difficult hunting this year. From what I have read, its even drier this year than last. As previously stated, you will need to be on the Western End of the state. Keep in mind, that residents will also be rifle hunting with you. We did a lot of work prior to heading out there hunting. You will be best served pouring over maps and getting a good idea of where you want to go. Once you have the areas identified, put boots on the ground. We invested in making a scouting trip out there to see the terrain and develop our hunt plan further. Nothing better than putting your eyes on the scene and boots on the ground. It will lessen your learning curve than hitting the ground without a plan.
Thanka for the replies sounds like I'm right on track

Yeah I did a little reading in previous threads before I posted mine, I'd like to find some private if possible to hunt but I'd be happy with a public meat buck for sure I just have to start putting it together like I did my otc elk hunt that's half the fun lol but also half the work!
Going to be very blunt here. Our total acres of public ground is very limited here in Nebraska and the “larger” tracts of ground attract the eye of most OTC hunters. For that reason, if you don’t find private land to access, I would key in on multiple small-medium sized parcels within a certain radius you’re comfortable with and go from there. The further west you go you’ll be able to find some areas that interest you.

Lastly, I know each of us have our own hunting styles and to each their own. However, do consider filling your freezer with a doe if you’re wanting to take some meat home instead of a meat buck. Over the years I can’t even begin to tell you how many folks talk to me after their hunt about how they didn’t see any mature mule bucks out there but that they settled for the 1.5yr old buck that showed up on the last or 2nd to last day of their trip. If you wouldn’t shoot it on your first day, don’t shoot it on your last. Just something to consider. Good luck and have fun!

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Lastly, I know each of us have our own hunting styles and to each their own. However, do consider filling your freezer with a doe if you’re wanting to take some meat home instead of a meat buck. Over the years I can’t even begin to tell you how many folks talk to me after their hunt about how they didn’t see any mature mule bucks out there but that they settled for the 1.5yr old buck that showed up on the last or 2nd to last day of their trip. If you wouldn’t shoot it on your first day, don’t shoot it on your last. Just something to consider. Good luck and have fun!

Agreed--you can't shoot big ones if you keep shooting little ones, as cliché as it sounds. And this may also be a blanket statement, but unfortunately for many non resident hunters that find themselves looking at a 2-3yo Mule Deer, they appear to be "big" compared to the Whitetail that they're used to seeing, so the immature bucks get shot. And if you're looking for meat, a doe tastes better, anyways.

"Shoot a doe, let those antlers grow"
"Don't shoot before you think--it might be a dink"
"This ain't a dig, he only LOOKS big"
"Go buy some porky, don't shoot a forky"

I could hashtag those, if I was cooler.

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. Big does have more meat than small bucks anyway. And a set of forked horn antlers ain't much to look at and aren't good for much except maybe let a dog chew em up.

Hey, I'll be posting our mule deer video's later next week, I dropped my first one yesterday... Get over by ****** and ******, lots of public down there, lots of public land.. Hardly any bowhunters. - Edit: nevermind, stay home and don't hunt. These Nebraska boys think they own everything and worry about public land being exposed and having "Their" spots ruined... They don't realize that these spots get piss pounded during rifle and shotgun anyways. Like they tell everyone, go to pine ridge I guess...

Last edited:
Mostly private as we ourselves own ground. They do move around and we were informed of poaching that happened on our home piece last year. Most likely a 4 year old that needed one more year to be a good one. We will never be what wyoming,Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico is if we keep shooting 140 inch 4 year olds. Nebraska is not a mule deer state like any of these I mentioned. Dont waste your time on the one or 2 big deer you saw on fb. We do have some really big girls tho!! 😄😁😆

Mostly private as we ourselves own ground. They do move around and we were informed of poaching that happened on our home piece last year. Most likely a 4 year old that needed one more year to be a good one. We will never be what wyoming,Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico is if we keep shooting 140 inch 4 year olds. Nebraska is not a mule deer state like any of these I mentioned. Dont waste your time on the one or 2 big deer you saw on fb. We do have some really big girls tho!! 😄😁😆
Nothing wrong with big girls. Those winters on the plains get cold without one!

dpat

FNG
"Hey, I'll be posting our mule deer video's later next week, I dropped my first one yesterday... Get over by Wuaneta and Imperial, lots of public down there, lots of public land.. Hardly any bowhunters."

Don't know for how long posting that on the internet. You must like to find new places every year when the old ones get lots of new hunters.

J1buck

FNG
I was looking into a Nebraska hunt last year but never got around to planning the time off.

"Hey, I'll be posting our mule deer video's later next week, I dropped my first one yesterday... Get over by Wuaneta and Imperial, lots of public down there, lots of public land.. Hardly any bowhunters."

Don't know for how long posting that on the internet. You must like to find new places every year when the old ones get lots of new hunters.
I'm here to help people out, there's plenty of land there and I can't see why you would get upset over it... No different from someone saying "yeah, head to Pine Ridge"...

dpat

FNG
Not upset at all I'm fortunate enough to hunt private in the Sandhills. The reason most don't post hunt public by this town or this mountain is it draws attention to the area and a real risk of the hunting not being so good in the following years. The people that get upset are the ones who hunt the area that somebody goes on the internet and says hunt this area the hunting is good. I don't think you are helping the ones already hunting the area by putting that info out there. I wasn't the only one that pointed that out after your post.

Watch some The Hunting Public videos on Youtube they hunt public all over and never state what town, county, unit, etc... they are hunting around/in. They put out quality content without putting the location out to everyone no need to do that. Heck finding an area out of state to hunt on is a lot of the fun of the planning process.

Saying I had luck in the southwest part of the state on public without running into a lot of other hunters is different than saying the town I hunted around. Thats all I was saying. Have fun and hunt safe that's all that really matters.