Nebraska Public Access

I'm wanting to plan some trips to Nebraska this fall for Pheasant. Was thinking of checking some of the Public Access properties near the Colorado/Nebraska border based on what I've seen on the Public Access ATLAS online.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
You can send me a pm if you want, I can recommend a few locations. If its on the access atlas there is some way to access any property for hunting. For pheasant, I would focus on areas that have wetlands (if in western half of state) because they have the best cover usually.

OP
See_Bennie_Point
You can send me a pm if you want, I can recommend a few locations. If its on the access atlas there is some way to access any property for hunting. For pheasant, I would focus on areas that have wetlands (if in western half of state) because they have the best cover usually.

Thanks, I really appreciate that! This is my 10th message so as soon as I get access I'll send a PM

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't hunted Dundy or Chase county, which would border Colorado. I regularly hunt Hitchcock, Hayes, and Red Willow counties to the East of there for pheasants though. There are a lot of CRP acres and small grain stubble management properties in that area and all can hold good numbers of birds, but they also draw large numbers of hunters from outside the area. Birds can get pretty smart if they survive the first couple weekends of season. Be ready to find some crowds and be willing to walk through some burned out properties, but if you put in the work there are a lot of areas to hunt and plenty of birds around.

OP
See_Bennie_Point
I haven't hunted Dundy or Chase county, which would border Colorado. I regularly hunt Hitchcock, Hayes, and Red Willow counties to the East of there for pheasants though. There are a lot of CRP acres and small grain stubble management properties in that area and all can hold good numbers of birds, but they also draw large numbers of hunters from outside the area. Birds can get pretty smart if they survive the first couple weekends of season. Be ready to find some crowds and be willing to walk through some burned out properties, but if you put in the work there are a lot of areas to hunt and plenty of birds around.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured the areas bordering CO would get a lot of pressure. I'm hoping to get up there the first couple weeks of season and I have days off during the week, so hoping to hit a little less pressure compared to the opening weekend crowds.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle deer season is Nov 16th- Nov 24th this year. I would avoid opening weekend of deer season for sure, it's hectic. If you hunt during rifle season I'd make sure hunters and dogs are very visible.

Planting season ran a lite late this year, so there could still be quite a bit of corn in the fields at the beginning of season.

The last few years there have been quite a few quail around, but I'm not sure how they came through this spring. Some of those open CRP areas hold prairie chickens too, so you could have a fun mixed-bag.

OP
See_Bennie_Point
Rifle deer season is Nov 16th- Nov 24th this year. I would avoid opening weekend of deer season for sure, it's hectic. If you hunt during rifle season I'd make sure hunters and dogs are very visible.

Planting season ran a lite late this year, so there could still be quite a bit of corn in the fields at the beginning of season.

The last few years there have been quite a few quail around, but I'm not sure how they came through this spring. Some of those open CRP areas hold prairie chickens too, so you could have a fun mixed-bag.

Thanks for the heads up!

Pgidley

FNG
We always try to time our trips after deer season. Usually knocking on doors is more successful after deer hunting pressure dies off, especially if you're solo or in a small group

Mike308

FNG
Southwest Nebraska is your best bet, not tons of public access, but usually a good number of birds.