Nebraska Turkey

Anyone ever hunt turkeys at Halsey National Forest? I'm looking at heading there for spring archery turkey and wanted to know if there are any birds in that area, thanks in advance!

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried hunting up there yet, but we're also thinking of heading up there this spring. We've seen turkeys along the Dismal and the Middle Loup rivers while paddling, so there has to be some up there. My guess is there should be birds along those rivers at the north and south sides of the forest with plenty of deciduous trees to roost in. I'm not sure what bird numbers would look like further into the forest though. It's pretty thick in spots and most of the trees are coniferous, or it's wide open sandhills. I love camping up there, nice area. Have you ever been there?

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I worked up in halsey national forest for a summer. There's definitely turkeys there. Id imagine you'd be able to find some to hunt without a ton of trouble.

OP
Parkercox77
I worked up in halsey national forest for a summer. There's definitely turkeys there. Id imagine you'd be able to find some to hunt without a ton of trouble.
Awesome! I only live 4 hours away, so hopefully I can get a free weekend and head up there to do some scouting before the season, I just wanted to make sure that there were at least birds in that area.

Mike308

FNG
There are definitely birds around, but at times the pressure is pretty high especially, if you are not too far off the beaten path.