Nebraska Whitetail

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to do an archery hunt in late September on public land. I’m not so much looking for locations to hunt, but more about hunting styles that would be most effective. Should I take a stand or get a saddle? Or should take a ground blind or just spot and stalk? I’ve never done anything in Nebraska but drive through it so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Lots of opportunities to hunt from the ground. I’ve taken my last 3 bucks out there on the ground. In September it’s all about catching them in their beds. One tactic that has worked well for me in early season is to sit up on a vantage point where I can see a lot of ground and just glass u til you catch a buck going or coming from their bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DCT1983

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of opportunities to hunt from the ground. I’ve taken my last 3 bucks out there on the ground. In September it’s all about catching them in their beds. One tactic that has worked well for me in early season is to sit up on a vantage point where I can see a lot of ground and just glass u til you catch a buck going or coming from their bed.

Good info. I really appreciate it. I’ve never hunted from the ground much, but that’s kind of why I want to do this trip is to do something new.

KHNC

WKR
If you arent on private ground, you expect to have a very poor hunt around a lot of people in September.

OP
DCT1983

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
If you arent on private ground, you expect to have a very poor hunt around a lot of people in September.
I have read a lot of mixed things about that. Some things I read say that early in archery season is the time to go and that rifle season is a mad house, then there are others that say the public is busy all the time. I don't know what to think.

Thanks for the response though.

In regards to style of hunting I would say it depends on where in the state you are wanting to hunt. The state literally has every style of hunting just depending where you are hunting. If you are on the eastern side you will struggle if you try to glass and spot game but on the western side that is your only option. There is not a bad part of the state so you almost have to decide where you want to focus and e-scout from there before its time to put boots on the ground

KHNC

WKR
I have read a lot of mixed things about that. Some things I read say that early in archery season is the time to go and that rifle season is a mad house, then there are others that say the public is busy all the time. I don't know what to think.

Thanks for the response though.
I have hunted NW nebraska almost every year since 2006. September is my favorite time to hunt. November can be tough for archery. The rut typically hasnt started good and bucks are scarce. I run into bachelor groups of nice bucks every time i go early. Last year I went in november , killed a nice buck , but it was the only good one i saw for 6 days straight. This was on private. This year i decided to go back to september since we got screwed on our Alaska Moose trip and it was too late to get any elk tags like usual. The motel i use was slam booked full already! 4-5 years ago, it was simple to get a room in september. Now, people are flocking out there to try it early season. All of my deer hunts are on private. NO chance ill try public for deer. I used to antelope hunt on public early, didnt see many people. Now my buddys out there say its a mad house. Take it for what its worth.

WCB

WKR
If you are thinking of being on the ground and don't have a ghillie suit GET ONE. Not the dumb 3d leafy suits but an actually ghillie suit. Deer have zero idea what you are if they even see you and I have walked up on many deer that just stare at me till I get within 50 yards or so.

If possible I avoid ground blinds at all costs and just ghillie suit it.

OP
DCT1983

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted NW nebraska almost every year since 2006. September is my favorite time to hunt. November can be tough for archery. The rut typically hasnt started good and bucks are scarce. I run into bachelor groups of nice bucks every time i go early. Last year I went in november , killed a nice buck , but it was the only good one i saw for 6 days straight. This was on private. This year i decided to go back to september since we got screwed on our Alaska Moose trip and it was too late to get any elk tags like usual. The motel i use was slam booked full already! 4-5 years ago, it was simple to get a room in september. Now, people are flocking out there to try it early season. All of my deer hunts are on private. NO chance ill try public for deer. I used to antelope hunt on public early, didnt see many people. Now my buddys out there say its a mad house. Take it for what its worth.
What are your thoughts on more central Nebraska or even NE Nebraska? I am not dead set on killing a mulie as much as I am on getting a chance at a decent out of state buck.

KHNC

WKR
What are your thoughts on more central Nebraska or even NE Nebraska? I am not dead set on killing a mulie as much as I am on getting a chance at a decent out of state buck.
I have hunted private in Valentine and also near Thedford in the Sandhills. BIG deer in both areas, however, I am not sure how much public is available. I have not hunted anywhere in the NE.

Mdk_archer88

Lil-Rokslider

Replying to have access. Thanks

PM me. I’ve hunted every corner of the state I think (not successfully - but I know the landscape). Happy to answer some questions.

Gunner10

FNG
like every where else, there is pressured areas and less pressured areas. just have to do your homework and find those spots

mvmnts

WKR
Personally, I wouldn't hunt whitetails from the ground but it can definitely be done, I guess... I just dropped in to say don't let anyone put you off Nebraska public. I go every year for archery and have a phenomenal hunt and see lots of deer. I think there's some folks who just want less pressure anyway they can get it. I got the same types of feedback telling me it would be awful. I stick to river bottoms so I don't really do a lot of glassing but I might try that this year. IMO saddle is the way to go, but you need to already know where to be if you're in a tree, so scouting for sign is important. If you have a lot of time you can just setup and adjust/move every morning/afternoon until you're into deer.

OP
DCT1983

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I wouldn't hunt whitetails from the ground but it can definitely be done, I guess... I just dropped in to say don't let anyone put you off Nebraska public. I go every year for archery and have a phenomenal hunt and see lots of deer. I think there's some folks who just want less pressure anyway they can get it. I got the same types of feedback telling me it would be awful. I stick to river bottoms so I don't really do a lot of glassing but I might try that this year. IMO saddle is the way to go, but you need to already know where to be if you're in a tree, so scouting for sign is important. If you have a lot of time you can just setup and adjust/move every morning/afternoon until you're into deer.
Sounds good, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. The more I think about it the more I think that a saddle may be the way to go, just apprehensive being I have never done it before. To be honest, I have never hunted mobilely before at all. We hang stands right before season and that is where they always are for that season here in Missouri. I would be a lot more comfortable hunting from a stand just didn't know if it was worth the time and effort to carry and hang a stand for each sit. This will definitely be a learning experience to say the least.

Laramie

WKR
Your opinion is a minority opinion.

Nebraska public absolutely gets hammered from the opening bell. Yes some area are busier than others, but in general it is a terrible destination for a non-resident. I have hunted Nebraska for 30+ years. The pressure has exponentially increased in the last few years. It really used to be a good hunt but anymore I believe a guy would be much better served hunting somewhere else.

KHNC

WKR
^^^Best thing is to just let him find out the truth on his own. Some are never convinced any other way. I will be back as a NR again in a few weeks. On private only for me.

OP
DCT1983

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone went and knocked on doors to see about getting permission? I know here in NW Missouri that’s a super tough thing to come by.

rugerhoyt

Lil-Rokslider
Lived and hunted my whole life in this state. From benkelman ne to south sioux. Public ground is hit the hardest on opening weekend of pheasant season and Saturday-Wednesday of rifle. If you are interested in whitetail shoot me a dm and I’d be happy to point you to some areas. I know some big Muley country in SW Nebraska/NW Kansas to but I know land has changed hands since I left and would have to see what is still walk in access

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had a spot and stalk in south west nebraska, public land. There's a good mix of huge mule deer and surprisingly giant whitetails. This was on a mediocre buck though.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw