Nebraska youth

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking into options for my 11yr old who can't yet hunt CO/WY which I am much more familiar with. If I am reading the regs right looks like the youth tags are good for any of the weapon seasons (with restrictions noted on areas and such). I don't think he'd do well with a muzzleloader just yet so I'd be looking at a rifle hunt. How much of a shit show is the Nov firearm season? What about the late antlerless, do things calm down by then? He needs to be accompanied by a licensed hunter, the way I am reading it that means I could have a deer permit or just a small game license right?

Looks like the youth have any deer and whitetail only tags, the any deer can't be used in platte/frenchman. Looks like you can get them one of each so for flexibility I'd probably do that so frenchman is available for at least whitetail, initially glancing at land to work with and proximity frenchmen has some appeal. The bigger tracts of land up in pine ridge draw my eye for having some room to work with but I'm guessing everyone is thinking the same? Or is this like WY pronghorn hunters that if you are 1mi off the road you don't run into that many folks?

I'm fairly adapt at run and gun/dodging pressure/etc. in CO/WY but thats lopes/mulies/elk and a bit more public land to work with. Don't really have WT experience and also this isn't me chasing critters and hiking miles to loop something if needed, dealing with an 11yr old so that is gonna limit things a bit. I don't have the impression right now he would care very much about buck vs doe so that at least takes some pressure off in getting his feet wet so to speak.

I guess if anyone has some insight to share here or in a PM on what to expect I'd appreciate it.

Lytro

WKR
Nebraska firearm is a zoo, and I wouldn't recommend taking an 11 year old there on public land. Another thing to think about is that NE allows crossbow during the archery season. IMO, that could be a great hunt for your son.