Nebraska

Tossing around the idea of a NE mile deer hunt this year during the rifle season since it’s fairly close to home and a decently easy trip to make. I’ve heard that it is like WW3 during the 8 day rifle season, is this true? I’ve been looking at the nw corner of the state or somewhere in the sand hills due to the larger areas of public land. Can anybody comment on deer numbers or what I could expect to see around there as far as people during the season? I’ve never been there so a lot of internet scouting will take place. Will more than likely be solo, so any info about what to expect is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Tossing around the idea of a NE mile deer hunt this year during the rifle season since it’s fairly close to home and a decently easy trip to make. I’ve heard that it is like WW3 during the 8 day rifle season, is this true? I’ve been looking at the nw corner of the state or somewhere in the sand hills due to the larger areas of public land. Can anybody comment on deer numbers or what I could expect to see around there as far as people during the season? I’ve never been there so a lot of internet scouting will take place. Will more than likely be solo, so any info about what to expect is appreciated.

I would imagine pressure is pretty high since these are the two areas of the state with public land and muleys. I've been out to the the NE National Forest for turkey and there's roads all over it so that kinda sucks.

NEhunter

WKR
You will see a ton of pressure on all public land in Nebraska during rifle season, especially up there.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
How hard is it to get away from the crowd? Are there areas without roads I could hike back into or do roads pretty much cover the whole area?

NEhunter

WKR
How hard is it to get away from the crowd? Are there areas without roads I could hike back into or do roads pretty much cover the whole area?

You won’t get away from crowds much here from my experience (especially in rifle season). Public land really just isn’t large here in Nebraska.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Would a muzzleloader hunt be more realistic in one of those bigger areas of public land? Or do most of the deer get pushed off onto private

guf54

FNG
I have yet to experience these public land areas during rifle season as I hunt mostly private land here but I have heard that they get hammered pretty hard and really there isn't much chance of out hiking the crowds either because there are access roads within a mile of most places. That said I have seen pics of some decent deer...mostly whitetails pulled from these public lands during rifle season. If you don't want to see the crowds of people I would look into the muzzleloader season, some of the deer have probably been pushed off but I think you could still have a quality hunt.

Private in good habitat = worth a shot

Public after Sept. 3rd = not worth your time

If doing online research...
Go on any hunting website you want and look for "Got a nice buck in NE" Threads.

They're few and far between for a reason.

Now, just go search for "looking for info on NE deer hunting" threads.

There's more of those threads than stars in the sky.

8 billion starry eyed hunters go, 7 come back with stories of satisfying experience.

Want me to do that math for you?

After hunting there last season, I can honestly say that I wouldn't hunt there during gun season unless you had private land to hunt. I love to hunt public land, but it isnt worth it in Nebraska in my honest opinion. There are too many people with too many different ideas going on at once. lol

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Its always possible to be skilled, work hard, and have luck on your side, but even on the September 1 Archery opener, the buck age class in public land areas will show effects from the peak rut armed invasion everyone in this thread has been speaking about.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
Try the SD Black Hills LE tag draw if you want a larger area with less pressure.

jmez

WKR
Very few mule deer in the Black Hills. They live in the prairie. A lot of WT.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Tomks

FNG
Everybody has pretty much told you the same thing I would. If you want to hunt nebraska get the bow out.

NYBackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted the sand hills two years ago during rifle, I honestly didnt think it was to bad. Met some cool dudes from IA, saw maybe 6 other hunters, in fact, during the week i didnt think it was bad at all. Could be a baseline thing being from NY.