Nebraska

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Less pressure during muzzleloader season, plus you get whole month of December.

I checked into muzzy season last year and talked to the biologist and he pretty much said the deer leave public and go to private to stay closer to food. I found this super hard to believe that ALL of the deer leave public, but it was super discouraging. Never made it out for a muzzy hunt to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick6275

FNG
I live in Nebr., I rifle and muzzleloader hunt in north central nebr.. Can I ask where you are looking at going?

OP
SneakyThunderCat
I live in Nebr., I rifle and muzzleloader hunt in north central nebr.. Can I ask where you are looking at going?

The Oglala grasslands in the NW corner or around Valentine. Mostly because of the availability of public land.

Nick6275

FNG
I have never hunted either of those, but I go ice fishing every year in valentine in January. I am not sure what the rules are for hunting, but we fish the refuge lakes and there are a lot of rolling hills and good mulee country. We always see mulees when we are driving to different lakes. Just not sure about the pressure, but there is a lot of land up there so I would think you could find a place. Could always just stop and ask a land owner, worst thing they can say is no.

magedon44

FNG
Tossing around the idea of a NE mile deer hunt this year during the rifle season since it’s fairly close to home and a decently easy trip to make. I’ve heard that it is like WW3 during the 8 day rifle season, is this true? I’ve been looking at the nw corner of the state or somewhere in the sand hills due to the larger areas of public land. Can anybody comment on deer numbers or what I could expect to see around there as far as people during the season? I’ve never been there so a lot of internet scouting will take place. Will more than likely be solo, so any info about what to expect is appreciated.

I took my wife on her first hunt last year in NE around Chadron. Tons and tons of hunters and we so no good bucks. My wife killed a decent 20 inch 3x4 at 600 yds.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
I have bow hunted the Ogallala a few times.

10 - 15 years ago there were tons of deer and I always saw 2-3 big bucks. 4 years ago I killed an elk on the first morning. I headed to the grasslands to see if I could arrow a mulie. It had been about 5 years since id been there. I couldn't hardly find a deer of either species. Talked to a farmer I know. He said EHD really hurt the population. That and the portion of the pine ridge I usually hunt burned. Didn't see a single deer in there.

So it could bee that the EHD problem is localized. But in the few days I spent there it has bee devastated.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know the public land hunting is hot right now, and for good reason I love it too. But for Nebraska it’d be much more worth it to get on some private. Whether that’s knocking on doors or paying some money for an outfitted operation, it’s going to be much more worth your time. Or I’d do what some others recommended and move over to WY or CO. There’s potential in Nebraska, no doubt. But it’s going to require a bunch of luck and timing.