Necessity of a Venom Extractor

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve lived in Colorado for 14 years, been all over the state and have never seen a rattlesnake although I did bet buzzed by one out at John Martin. During elk season you may see the little green garter snake that are up there but they don’t hurt anything.

polemtn

FNG
I've never seen one hunting in CO. Idaho on the other hand.... five under one rock elk hunting this year, they have an early warning system that they're pretty good about using so not really a big deal.

Phaseolus

WKR
I'd focus on preventing a bite rather than addressing an envenomation. This summer, on two occasions, I almost stepped on a Timber Rattler. Both very large. It changed, forever, what I will wear in certain areas.

I would recommend getting snake gaiters, particularly Turtleskins. They are lightweight and feel like nornal gaiters. Also, make sure you wear a leather boot that will not allow a snake's bite to penetrate. With those two, you sure be able to hunt safely.

https://turtleskin.com/default/outd...kearmor-snake-protection/snake-gaiters-5.html

I also bought the Turtleskin chaps which will protect me to the top of the leg. I got those because I'm often bushwhacking in areas where the underbrush makes it impossible to see what I'm stepping on. The chaps allow me to walk with ease and not have to concentrate, or be concerned, where I step.
You will not need these in Colorado elk country.

def90

WKR
You would be the unluckiest man on the planet if you got a snakebite from a venomous snake while elk hunting in Colorado. Heck, I've even been running all over southeast Colorado canyon country deer hunting where the snakes actually are and have yet to see or hear one.

In the twenty years I've been in Colorado the only rattlers I've seen were while mountain biking at Hall Ranch outside of Lyons, one was sunning itself on the gravel drive in to the Boulder Rifle Club one day, I have heard a couple rattles while looking for lost golf balls in the rough at various golf courses, now I don't eve bother looking if they are deep in there, and one time while rock climbing down off Shelf Road near Canon City. All of these areas are drier rocky dry areas with mostly tall prairie grass for vegetation.

As for what to do if you get bit, absolutely do not cut the bite open in any way nor attempt to remove the venom. You will do more damage to yourself or someone else than you will help. Just remain calm and relaxed and get to a place where you can get to a hospital or ambulance.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Got bit on my index finger by a Copperhead in 07.
One fang drew blood, About like a wasp sting.
No experience with rattlesnakes or cottonmouths, and dont want any.
Get bit, just git to the ER.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Mine was from disconnecting a battery charger on my 3 y/o sons battery powered 4 wheeler.
Had been charging all night in the garage and I guess he detected the warmth of the battery on that cool September night. He was laying right up against that battery which was under the seat and I didnt see him till he hit me.

*zap*

WKR
Snake gaiters....be aware of what is there before you put your feet and hands somewhere and no stupidity. Warm days and cool nights......snakes will come around a fire/camp to warm up. Around here if I am walking anywhere that I cannot see the ground I wear snake chaps unless its very cold, just not worth the chance.....we have lots of snakes but most folks never see any...
While I was walking at the state park a couple was sitting at their campfire at dusk, on the other side of the fire a big timber rattler was coiled up.....they really freaked when I told about the snake and they got up to take a look....I kept walking and looked back....they were packin up.

Will_m

WKR
I'd focus on preventing a bite rather than addressing an envenomation. This summer, on two occasions, I almost stepped on a Timber Rattler. Both very large. It changed, forever, what I will wear in certain areas.

I would recommend getting snake gaiters, particularly Turtleskins. They are lightweight and feel like nornal gaiters. Also, make sure you wear a leather boot that will not allow a snake's bite to penetrate. With those two, you sure be able to hunt safely.

https://turtleskin.com/default/outd...kearmor-snake-protection/snake-gaiters-5.html

I also bought the Turtleskin chaps which will protect me to the top of the leg. I got those because I'm often bushwhacking in areas where the underbrush makes it impossible to see what I'm stepping on. The chaps allow me to walk with ease and not have to concentrate, or be concerned, where I step.
I’ve seen some weird shit elk hunting but never seen somebody in snake gaiters

To all of the responses that say get to an ER asap, what is the realistic time frame to get antivenin in which it will still be effective? Say someone is 3 miles from the truck when bitten and the truck is 3 hours from the nearest ER? Will antivenin still help anything 5 to 6 hours or more from the time of the bite, after the physical exertion of having to also hike?

MattB

WKR
IMO bad advice to even think about this let alone bring something to address it. You are more likely to die from a bee sting and would be better served to have an epipen in your kit. I wouldn’t pack one of those either - nor would I bring bear spray, or a portable defibrillator;l, or even a bubble wrap hat.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not an issue for you but, the desert SW has the diamond back and the Mojave. The diamond back is a hemotoxic venom while the Mojave is neurotoxic. The Mojave is the deadlier of the two. For dogs treatment is required within 20 mins, for humans it is a little longer. We always carry Benadryl. While I have never had to take any or give it to my dogs, it is said to give you a little extra time to get to medical attention. I was hunting with a friend and he got hit just above his boot. I got the boot of right away and got him to treatment in about an hour. He spent ten days in hospital but he did survive.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
To all of the responses that say get to an ER asap, what is the realistic time frame to get antivenin in which it will still be effective? Say someone is 3 miles from the truck when bitten and the truck is 3 hours from the nearest ER? Will antivenin still help anything 5 to 6 hours or more from the time of the bite, after the physical exertion of having to also hike?

Depends on the snake and the person. The FDA approval for Crofab is for within 6 hours of a bite, however repeat does can be given 10 days later if needed. So, it can help regardless of how long it takes you to get it, but the longer it takes the more damage will have been done.

Attachments

• CroFab-Managment_NAPV_Envenmation.pdf
    892.2 KB · Views: 1

Yarak

WKR
We have Timber, Eastern Diamondback AND Pygmy rattlers along with Coperheads, Cottonmouths and Coral snakes
We have a host of non-venomous snakes
I have hunted most of my 53 years and have never been bitten or had any real close calls during hunting season and in the south its rarely cold during that time
Dont worry with snakes on your hunt just be prepared for as much as possible and enjoy your time in the woods

Rokbar

WKR
Just watch some 60's or 70's western/mountain man movies. Cut at the bite, suck and spit. At least that's how I remember seeing them do it when I was a kid watching them ;-)
Remember after the cut, suck, and spit, you have to kill a doe deer and apply the freshly removed liver to bite area. Then raise her fawn.

I’ve encountered dozens of rattlesnakes in the West. Mostly while fishing hiking or horseback riding... never while hunting. The only times I was struck at was once when I stepped on one in a mess of tule reeds, and another time when I poked one with a stick for a couple minutes. I was trying to demonstrate for friend that their strike length is only about 1/2 their body length. They tend to like riparian zones and lake shores at moderate elevations. (Lots of rodents) They really want nothing to do with you and will try to retreat and hide. If cornered they will rattle a lot before they strike.

I was an EMT for a few years. The ER doc who taught our snakebite class told us 95% of the rattlesnake bites he had seen were caused by a combination of alcohol and retardedness. So a true accidental rattlesnake bite is a very rare thing. You‘re much more likely to get in a car wreck or take a bad fall in the woods.

All that being said if you manage to step on or put your hand on one, good chance of taking a strike. If you’re lucky they’ll just get clothes. If not it’s a trip to the ER.

I live in southern Alberta and have encountered dozens of rattle snakes while hunting. We have prairie rattlers here. I hunt along a river and my son and myself have found two different den sites. It was a bit exciting to walk into 15-20 snakes sunning themselves in a 20 yard radius. I walked right into one on a cow trail in a coulee one fall while bowhunting , that day was cold and that snake was moving really slow. I have nearly stepped on two while bow hunting, both were small young ones without rattles about 18'' long.

AZBULLCRAZY

Lil-Rokslider
I tried snake gaiters in AZ when I lived there. They were so hot I took them off after 10 minutes and said id rather get bit. Lol. But in all honesty very low chance. The scariest is hearing them and not seeing them in thicker brush.